Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Track and Field league

Options
  • 09-05-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

The first round draw has taken place, first day of competition is the 18th. Anyone here (apart from ecoli!) involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Possibly going to get called in for team Louth, but only if they are really badly stuck! :pac:

Edit: Sligo?? Bollox anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

pconn062 wrote: »
    Possibly going to get called in for team Louth, but only if they are really badly stuck! :pac:

Edit: Sligo?? Bollox anyway!

Apologies for having a club with a track that it not within commuting distance of the metropolis. I'll see what we can do to get a transfer to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

dna_leri wrote: »
    Apologies for having a club with a track that it not within commuting distance of the metropolis. I'll see what we can do to get a transfer to Leinster.

We got sligo last yr, and everyone was similarly pissed off ha, anyways we heading off to strandhill beach afterwards and everyone had a blast in the rough Atlantic, our only regrets were we didn't bring afew surfboards with us ha! We have Waterford this weekend, hopefully will be as good a weekend!

Was only a joke DL.

Was only a joke DL.

I'll see ye get a special welcoming committee. ;)

• Advertisement

That would involve a small miracle in the team being weak enough to need me to show up! :pac:

Ecoli I think I've been shafted back into the steeple this sunday ughhhhhhhhh!!!! Jumped over afew hurdles last night, my god that wasnt pretty! Even still, I look forward to battling with ya again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ecoli I think I've been shafted back into the steeple this sunday ughhhhhhhhh!!!! Jumped over afew hurdles last night, my god that wasnt pretty! Even still, I look forward to battling with ya again!

If makes you feel better I haven't done any barrier work and my hurdle mobility work over the last few months been pretty sparse haha

It seems the worst possible scenario has occurred and I've been called into run, better start planning that welcoming committee! :)

Also, is the track used the one at Sligo IT? Trying to sort out how I'm going to ind this place.

• Advertisement

Also, is the track used the one at Sligo IT? Trying to sort out how I'm going to ind this place.

It's at the IT, entry from Ash Lane. What event are you down for?
    Probably won't get to see the whole day but will pop down for a while.

It's at the IT, entry from Ash Lane. What event are you down for?
    Probably won't get to see the whole day but will pop down for a while.

Running the 1500m I believe, last minute thing. Our main 800/1500m guy had to pull out at the last minute due to illness so the backups have been called in. It's a real shame as he's our best runner (bronze medalist in the National 1500m Indoors this year), and now they are left with me! I'll be in the red Louth singlet in the 1500m if you're there, would be nice to put a face to the name.

Great day out in Waterford yday, the rain didn't put much of a dampener on day thankfully. We had the usual teams thrown together last minute, with plenty of athletes taking one for the team and doing events that they normally don't ha, but main thing was everyone seemed to have the craic, good few of the teams in McDonals afterwards also ha, this competition has to be the best event for getting abit of team bonding going!

The steeple was interesting for me, never have I felt so slow, hurdled so badly, and come home with wayyy too much in the tank, but yet again I was only a few seconds off a PB! So time to get training proper for them and do a few more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can someone explain those points totals to me? I thought it was 9,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 in each event, with best 15 events (in division 1) scoring. That would give you a max score of 135 points.
    In pool A, Donore have 131 points, which could be 13 1st place finishes (117) and 2 seconds (14)
    Youghal have 127 points, which could be 11 1sts (99) and 4 2nds (28)
    but there are 21 events, so there can't be 24 1st place finishes. :confused:

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here...:o

RayCun wrote: »
    Can someone explain those points totals to me? I thought it was 9,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 in each event, with best 15 events (in division 1) scoring. That would give you a max score of 135 points.
    In pool A, Donore have 131 points, which could be 13 1st place finishes (117) and 2 seconds (14)
    but there are 21 events, so there can't be 24 1st place finishes. :confused:

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here...:o

Donore were in Sligo and Youghal were in Waterford so you have 42 chances of 1st place points

ecoli wrote: »
    Donore were in Sligo and Youghal were in Waterford

knew I was missing something obvious :)
    But in the Waterford teams...

Nenagh have 123, 9 x 1st (81) and 6 x 2nd (42)
    Kilkenny have 112, 4 x 1st (36) and 10 x 2nd (70) and 1 x 3rd (6)
    Clare have 108, 2 x 1st (18) and 12 x 2nd (84) and 1 x 3rd (6)

how do so many teams score over 100 points?

or to put it another way, the max points that can be awarded is 777 (21x9 +21x7 + 21x6....)
    but the total points awarded in Waterford was 933
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niall a

if you review Round 1 results there is Pool A and B in the First Division, so there were 4 teams in each pool. The points were awarded to each pool (i.e both 1st place in Pool A and B got 9 points each) so the points are artificially high (a clever way of maintaining interest for Round 2). The 2nd Round is not pooled therefore the point totals should be lower and should give an indication of the strength of Division 1

hope that helps

Great, now I get you :) Four opportunities to come first in division 1, not just two.
    That seems very easy :pac: but I see the point

More silly questions
    - is it the top 8 in the division who qualify for the final, or the top 4 in each pool?
    - why weren't the pools balanced in round 1, shouldn't it have been 8 in each location instead of 7 and 9?

• Advertisement

More silly questions
    - is it the top 8 in the division who qualify for the final, or the top 4 in each pool?
    - why weren't the pools balanced in round 1, shouldn't it have been 8 in each location instead of 7 and 9?

Top 8 in division

I think (especially in Div 1) there are team withdrawals after the seedings are done which could account for the numbers difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niall a

@RayCun
    the second round is not pooled so the points will be as your previous message 9,7,6....etc.
    The top eight will qualify with the points total from R1 and R2 show it could be 6 from dublin and 2 from athlone for example .
    Not 100% sure on the balance in round 1 but shercock AC were meant to compete but did not attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

How did everyone get on today? I did the high hurdles in Santry and thankfully didn't crease myself. Adopted a 5 stride shuffle that saw me safely to the end. Backed it up with a solid 3k walk that left me free for the day.

Some of you may have seen me stalking the infield taking some photos. I had so many, I didn't bother siphoning through them so I just uploaded them all to facebook. Check them out anyone who is interested https://www.facebook.com/JTGIreland

we will draw a veil over my foray into 800m running :pac: Luckily I don't think the club will need my points:)

we will draw a veil over my foray into 800m running :pac: Luckily I don't think the club will need my points:)

Name to a face, and I didn't cop it ha! I knew you and the derry chap were the only athletes in my pool so yas were my competition!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Name to a face, and I didn't cop it ha! I knew you and the derry chap were the only athletes in my pool so yas were my competition!

You're the Sli Chulainn lad?:pac:
    Just as well we didn't recognise each other, I got to enjoy a few more seconds of pre-race ignorance thinking I might be able to hang off the back of you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

I see David Coyle competing for Sli Chulainn in the League, must've left Crusaders...:rolleyes:

6 points!
    <does victory dance>

happygoose wrote: »
    I see David Coyle competing for Sli Chulainn in the League, must've left Crusaders...:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm I got no comment on that, other than I ain't him, even if his name was down on the results for my 800 at the league on sun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement