Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low cost roaming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

I see that meteor now offer 50mb roaming data per day for .99c in most of western Europe so you can get 1.5gb of roaming data a month for just under €30.

So if you can stay under the 50mb daily limit this is petty good value...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

reni10 wrote: »
    I see that meteor now offer 50mb roaming data per day for .99c in most of western Europe so you can get 1.5gb of roaming data a month for just under €30.

Oh, that sounds like a very good deal for anyone travelling across Europe.

So if you get a Meteor SIM and top up by €10, then you would get 10 days of 50mb/day

Obviously no good for streaming, but should be enough for what's app, facebook messenger, a little facebook surfing and maybe a little VOIP.

Think I'll pick up a meteor SIM to have handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

79 / month .... holy crap

T-Mobile do the Internet Europa add-on for 14.99 a month, 500mb high speed data and then low speed (64kbps after that)
    https://www.t-mobile.nl/mobiel-abonnement/buitenland/internet-europa

I just wanted to illustrate the difference between what we get in Ireland compared to abroad, but since you want to compare;
    The €14.99 you quote is an add on, the €79 I quoted is the total plan price. I just had a quick look on tmobile.nl and if I select an iPhone plan with unlimited calls and 5GB data + roaming add on, it cost more than €80/month. Tmobile plan doesn't include a 2nd sim (don't know if tethering allowed) gives half the monthly roaming data, no international minutes, no roaming mins/texts and you still have to pay for the phone (€180 I think). VF plan didn't look so bad me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 liamco

Just ordered sim ..just wondering if there were any issues when activating sim with regard passport nos and french address.did you activate before going to france.was looking for data and mobile package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I've ordered this twice, neither arrived.

Any chance anyone got one that they don't need that they would be willing to send to me?

Merci beaucoup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

flyguy wrote: »
    Not that it's not a bargain alert, but the downside of using a sim like this is usually -haven't checked your link- you'll get a new foreign number. So it might be a good deal for you but everyone who wants to call you will pay international rates. Also you won't be contactable on your Irish number (unless you want to carry 2 phones around with you). I think the vodafone Red deal is pretty good €3/day for 100mb of data roaming (not for tethering) and all calls included (from your bundle). So if you have unlimited calls/texts at home you'll have them abroad as well.
    www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming
    That's woeful, just divert your phone to the French number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ordered mine, got an email to say it was dispatched but haven't seen it yet.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I've ordered this twice, neither arrived.

Any chance anyone got one that they don't need that they would be willing to send to me?

Merci beaucoup
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Ordered mine, got an email to say it was dispatched but haven't seen it yet.

I got the email both times aswell, but no SIM arrived. They must have copped something was up with all the French addresses with Ireland at the end.:D So just hoping that someone got 1 that they don't need before Lebara copped.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I got the email both times aswell, but no SIM arrived. They must have copped something was up with all the French addresses with Ireland at the end.:D So just hoping that someone got 1 that they don't need before Lebara copped.

Aye. I'm travelling out on the 10th of next month so I'm still hopeful it will arrive.

Alternatively if anyone for one they are finished with I'll gladly take it off their hand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

I ordered 2 last week and got them on Monday no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Aye. I'm travelling out on the 10th of next month so I'm still hopeful it will arrive.

Alternatively if anyone for one they are finished with I'll gladly take it off their hand :D

Are you away 10th June or July? If July in can send you mine when I'm done. We are away in June though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I ordered mine on the 11th but no sign of them yet. Did people get them sent to Ireland, France or just France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

If it hasn't been mentioned already, use the Opera Mobile browser for web surfing when roaming as it requests the page, renders a compressed one on their servers and sends it to you lowering your data usage significantly for non secure sites. It works only for websites, not other services but makes a big difference to your data allowance usage in my experience.

Obviously use WiFi for data whenever possible and make use of VOIP apps and webtexts for everything non essential calling when possible.

Roaming just is more expensive in general. If you are staying anywhere for 4 weeks or longer, just buy a local SIM and swap out as needed.

yellow76 wrote: »
    Are you away 10th June or July? If July in can send you mine when I'm done. We are away in June though

It's June unfortunately. Thank you for your very generous offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

flyguy wrote: »
    I just wanted to illustrate the difference between what we get in Ireland compared to abroad, but since you want to compare;
    The €14.99 you quote is an add on, the €79 I quoted is the total plan price. I just had a quick look on tmobile.nl and if I select an iPhone plan with unlimited calls and 5GB data + roaming add on, it cost more than €80/month. Tmobile plan doesn't include a 2nd sim (don't know if tethering allowed) gives half the monthly roaming data, no international minutes, no roaming mins/texts and you still have to pay for the phone (€180 I think). VF plan didn't look so bad me thinks...

It's 32.99 a month SIM only 1GB of Data and 200 minutes with Internet Europa.

Buying a phone on contract is usually always a bad deal.

Yes you can tether also, and get a multi sim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 steo67

I got mine posted to me no problems, got it activated online but it won't let me register so I can top it up etc. When I'm registering it says everything is okay then on the very last page when I agrees to T&Cs I get a big Ooops! please contact us. I've sent off a couple of emails but not much help. Has anyone else seen this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Any suggestions for the best card for a month in Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I too am travelling to Spain next month for 11 days.

It really bugs me that the data apps on my phone, which would be of most use when travelling, are effectively useless abroad due to the cost of using them (and I’m talking location based things like maps etc not email which can be checked in WIFI spots)

I’m on the half price unlimited bundle with emobile. I can purchase a 50MB add on for €10 but this won’t last long with Google maps etc (ironically I can get 200MB for €20 – half the price per MB – so much for the EU roaming directive).

Any tips for how I can get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

There exists www.lebara.es and www.lycamobile.es but not sure how good/bad they are and if you would ship to Ireland. I suspect Lebara SIMs are sent from UK.

You can try following ways:
    1) Order from MVNO to place that you stay
    2) Buy from major operator when you arrive, they tend to operate on high streets so you would be passing their shops anywa
    3) Some markets propably sell MVNO (like Tesco mobile here or Leclerc in France), but they tend to be off city centers

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deepsilent

any recommendation for Poland, mostly for internet? thanks...

• Advertisement

deepsilent wrote: »
    any recommendation for Poland, mostly for internet? thanks...

Mobile Vikings appear to do 2 GB for just under a fiver.

https://mobilevikings.pl/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Lycamobile http://www.lycamobile.pl/en/bundle about 9E for 5GB
    Lebara http://www.lebara.pl/sklep/internet same price

Simply Lebara is in France, Spain, Denmark, Poland, Switerland, UK, Netherlands, Germany and suprisingly remote Australia
    Lycamobile has same countries plus Norway, Sweden, Austria, Italy, Belgium and USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

What about the UK?

I have a job starting there in a few weeks will be working there every 2nd month, i'm just looking for an internet only option i don't need calls or texts,

Any idea what the best option would be? i don't want a contract just PAYG, also want to try and get sim before going over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

gustafo wrote: »
    What about the UK?

I have a job starting there in a few weeks will be working there every 2nd month, i'm just looking for an internet only option i don't need calls or texts,

Any idea what the best option would be? i don't want a contract just PAYG, also want to try and get sim before going over

Probably Three Ireland with the "Three Like Home" add on. Then you'll be able to use your Irish data in the UK.

Don't even know if you need the add on for PAYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Probably Three Ireland with the "Three Like Home" add on. Then you'll be able to use your Irish data in the UK.

but you need to be on contract with 3 in ireland to avail of that,
    no thanks don't want to be on any type of contract with that crowd.

gustafo wrote: »
    but you need to be on contract with 3 in ireland to avail of that,
    no thanks don't want to be on any type of contract with that crowd.
    It also works on their PAYG tarriffs. Just top up with €20 and you get unlimited data which can be used in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

You don't all part of the 20e deal. Used it last weekend, was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

Have the Lebara sim and am traveling Friday. Am I able to activate the sim here in Ireland or do I have to wait till I get to France? Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Coat22 wrote: »
    I too am travelling to Spain next month for 11 days.

It really bugs me that the data apps on my phone, which would be of most use when travelling, are effectively useless abroad due to the cost of using them (and I’m talking location based things like maps etc not email which can be checked in WIFI spots)

I’m on the half price unlimited bundle with emobile. I can purchase a 50MB add on for €10 but this won’t last long with Google maps etc (ironically I can get 200MB for €20 – half the price per MB – so much for the EU roaming directive).

Any tips for how I can get around this?

You can download sections of google maps offline before you go. AGPS will still use your data connection for some position calculations but that will be very small data, you can turn that off which just means a slightly longer GPS fix at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

You can download sections of google maps offline before you go. AGPS will still use your data connection for some position calculations but that will be very small data, you can turn that off which just means a slightly longer GPS fix at the start.

You can get apps like Navfree. Map of Spain is free, just uses GPS for positional location (can take a while).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

ThreeUK have just announced extra countries to their "Feel like home" roaming. Looks like a good option if you're mainly looking for cheap data access.

So they will cover:
    France
    Switzerland
    Israel
    Finland
    Norway
    USA
    Indonesia
    Sri Lanka
    Macau
    Australia
    Italy
    Austria
    Hong Kong
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Republic of Ireland(!)

Its free to order a prepay sim here (use Parcel Motel)

To get "all you can eat" data you need to buy an addon:
    nBkZ72C.png

Theres a limit of 25GB on "all you can eat" when roaming:
    i9NIEnZ.png

Note I havent tried this, but I cant see why it wont work. They do note that monthly plans need to be active for 30days before roaming, but no such restriction appears to apply to prepay.

ThreeUK have just announced extra countries to their "Feel like home" roaming. Looks like a good option if you're mainly looking for cheap data access.

So they will cover:
    France
    Switzerland
    Israel
    Finland
    Norway
    USA
    Indonesia
    Sri Lanka
    Macau
    Australia
    Italy
    Austria
    Hong Kong
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Republic of Ireland(!)

Its free to order a prepay sim here (use Parcel Motel)

To get "all you can eat" data you need to buy an addon:
    nBkZ72C.png

Theres a limit of 25GB on "all you can eat" when roaming:
    i9NIEnZ.png

Note I havent tried this, but I cant see why it wont work. They do note that monthly plans need to be active for 30days before roaming, but no such restriction appears to apply to prepay.

Just logged in to post this. Seems an easier option than Lebara

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

^^^^^^

Oh, so €19 for 25GB of data in the US, that is fantastic value :)

Actually far cheaper then even trying to get a local SIM in the US, which is hard to do and expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's pretty good! Pity Germany isn't covered as this is a big chunk of a lot of the European jobs I have driving wise.

If I order that THREE UK sim card whats the likelihood of it arriving before Tuesday afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

If I order that THREE UK sim card whats the likelihood of it arriving before Tuesday afternoon?

It would have to reach PM by Monday morning. So touch and go I'd guess!

Note that the new countries dont come into effect until July 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Does anyone know if the tree 'feel like home' offer can be used in a dongle or is it only available for phones? I'm travelling to the uk for three weeks and need to sort wifi for us while we are there. I have an unlocked 3G dongle. Any advice welcome. Thank you

Just to note:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
    * To benefit from Feel At Home, SIM only customers must have been with Three for more than 30 days.
    If you're on Pay As You Go, all you need to do is convert your credit into an Add-on. You can then use the allowance in any Feel At Home destination.

Also:
    Feel At Home is designed for UK residents who are on holiday or business trips abroad, not for extended periods abroad.

You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad.

If they managed to cover the Netherlands and Germany though .... dang i'd go for that :D

bk wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

Oh, so €19 for 25GB of data in the US, that is fantastic value :)

Actually far cheaper then even trying to get a local SIM in the US, which is hard to do and expensive.

I got this one when over there:
    https://www.gosmartmobile.com/compare-prepaid-cell-phone-plans

Unlimited data, 35 dollars for 30 days, tethering also worked without problems.

Just picked up the sim in a shop and then topped up online with my Dutch Credit card (although I had my address with a Florida postcode and Country as US)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If anyone is back from France before the end of the month and wants to donate a used Lebara SIM then please PM me. My ones never arrived :(

stimpson wrote: »
    If anyone is back from France before the end of the month and wants to donate a used Lebara SIM then please PM me. My ones never arrived :(
    Neither did mine, and I'm leaving on Tuesday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

I see three Uk are adding France to their list of countries, where you can roam at no cost, nothing yet for Three IE customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

stimpson wrote: »

+1

What are the top up options for a 3UK sim ? i.e. will it be problem using an Irish credit card ?

I got this one when over there:
    https://www.gosmartmobile.com/compare-prepaid-cell-phone-plans

Unlimited data, 35 dollars for 30 days, tethering also worked without problems.

Note, while unlimited, it is only very slow Edge service (2.5G) rather then faster 3G that you would get with Three.

Also that price excludes tax, so it would work out at about €29 versus €19 from Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Can someone who got a sim tell me if its standard or micro you got?
    Marty

The lebara sim I ordered never arrived but the three uk one sent to parcel motel has arrived today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

I just ordered this when getting another item on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRILROI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It know its 3.99 but i think its worth paying for

joe250 wrote: »
    I just ordered this when getting another item on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRILROI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It know its 3.99 but i think its worth paying for

Only problem with it is they require address and ID verification. Not really clear how that gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Only problem with it is they require address and ID verification. Not really clear how that gets done.

I didn't see that.
    Still I am going to chance it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement