Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re workplace bullying

Options
  • 09-05-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was just looking for bit of advice/ opinions on a work situation I was in last year.

After being made redundant in 2012 I landed my dream job, which I was delighted with, and very excited about. So I worked there happily for 6 months or so, great relationships with my superiors, and those I was managing, usually working from 8-6 with an hour for lunch so fairly happy (underpaid for the work, but as I said loved the job so I was set!)

After I had my 6 month review we had some major staff changes, my direct manager left and another manager on my level was also replaced, (with a very questionable choice who rarely turned up to work). Manager wasn't replaced, and responsibility for overall operations fell to me and 4 others (no pay raise) again, was happy out as I loved my job. Then one of my fellow managers stopped turning up to work, and when he did was very sporadic in attendance, we managed as best we could but things were very tough, I did more than my fair share of 12 hour days in that time. But we had been promised support by head office, and we were doing fine.

I took my annual leave then and on my return, a manager from head office had been appointed, and then the hell began. Gone were the days of 8-6 and having a lunch break, in the average week I was there 45-60 hours and lunch became going out to get something to eat coming straight back and eating while I worked (again something I am happy to do when needs be, I'm not a slacker by any means and I know a team has to pull together) if I was going out for lunch and was gone more than 20 mins colleagues reported her asking where I was, days when I was working a double shift and specifically asked if I could take a break and when suited her for me to go she would go out for her lunch at the time agreed.

I would be there every morning at 8am (she would arrive at 9.30/10) and would never leave before 7pm. I would be working away on my projects and she would find a problem, (with any department) and ask me about it and then say "well what you need to do is..." so I was doing more than my own work, and then came the blame, she blamed me for everything that went wrong, I always held my hands up when I had made a genuine mistake (maybe that was wrong of me as it set precident) so I became her go to blame girl, to the extent that all of the other managers, and senior staff, when they made a mistake would joke "ah sure its grand it'll all be your fault" Every day at our morning briefings when I would raise a concern, it would be turned back on me as an accusation. I was shouted at numerous times for things I hadn't done (to be fair she shouted at me when I did something wrong too) In one instance, I had done something she asked months previous and when she thought about it and asked me on the spur of the moment I didn't have an answer, she began a tirade accusing me of not doing my job and not knowing what was going on. When I had time to gather myself I was able to prove I had done exactly as asked, but no apology came.

Throughout all this I was in a living hell, I couldn't sleep, was having panic attacks, was in tears most mornings thinking about going to work, my heart was pounding every minute I was in the building with her, I sacrificed so many of my weekends because it was easier for me to be there all the time and know what was coming than to go in on Monday and be ambushed. I stated counselling in this time and my doctor put me on anti depressants. I knew I had to get out of that situation so I started to look for another job. I was lucky enough to find something quickly enough and gave my notice, but after the second week, my panic attacks were so bad that my Dr and counsellor advised me against going back and wrote me off sick.

This was last October (2013), and I am just now starting to come off the meds and I'm making good progress in my counselling (and I work 9-5!!) but I have recently found out that the exact same has happened to my successor, she is leaving now for the same reasons and has also being prescribed meds for the anxiety. I'm wondering is there anything I can do, is there any come back here for me, or even for me to help my successor. I just feel disgusted that this woman is just out there doing this to people. I never made a complaint at the time, as she was my direct manager, and the most senior manager there at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Maybe get in contact with your successor ?

You could tell them that you had the similar problems.
    And then at least they would know someone else had been in the same boat and come out the other side ok.
    And that it wasn't their fault.

Getting involved with complaints etc would be about your own comfort level and what you want to do more than any advice i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Organisations have duty to enure the workplace is safe and this includes not allowing bullying
    Did the organisation have an anti bullying policy ?
    Did you bring your concerns to anyone at the time?
    You may have recourse under the unfair dismissals act for constructive dismissal
    You could contact NERA for further advice
    http://www.labourcourt.ie/en/Workplace_Relations_Bodies/National_Employment_Rights_Authority/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IMHO, you should talk to your doctor/counsellor about whether pursuing it is a good idea or not.

While justice would say you should, there's a risk that it may not be in your own best interests: it may be best to leave it til someone is strong enough to fight her. (And to believe that there is a such a someone and she will meet them sooner or later.)

Advertisement