Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck with insurer due to open claim - massive hike

Options
  • 09-05-2014 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

In February 2013 I had a small crash in car, ran into the back of somebody. They put in a claim against me in March, with which I have no issues (I was at fault). My insurance was with AA at the time, and came up for renewal in May. Because of the open claim I wasn't able to get a quote from anyone else apart from the AA, and my insurance last year was just over €800 for the year. The underwriter of the insurance was Aviva (as it had been for as long as I have been with the AA - 3 years now).

My insurance is now up for renewal again, and that claim is still open. I was expecting a small reduction if nothing else from the AA due to 1 year's no claims, nothing else has changed for me. I was very surprised to be told that my renewal quote was over €1,300, now being underwritten by the RSA (as AA and Aviva no longer operate together). I have tried ringing other brokers/etc but nobody will quote me apart from 1 broker who did manage to get a quote through Aviva for €1090, but that would be 1 lump sum with no direct debit option.

As it stands, I'm pretty screwed. Because of that open claim I can't shop around, and I've been told that claim could drag on longer still due to slow down in the personal injuries board. Is there anything anyone can suggest that I can do? I suggested to a broker that maybe I could put my partner as the insured with me named, but they said that if they see my open claim they'll still say no (unless I stick with AA or Aviva).

It's extremely frustrating, as far as I can see I am being ripped off here big time. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Yeah it's unfortunate that the claim is still open as they tend to imagine the worst case scenario of 10's to 100's of thousands in terms of payout when calculating your renewal premium.

To be honest you may have to just suck it up, although do keep trying on the phone rather than online for quotes and if you find one cheaper with DD go for it.

Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

expect to get screwed for years, unfortunately.
    I had a big crash in 2012,
    not my fault but no real other party to blame apart from the state.

I am insured on two cars and costs in total more than doubled from 1100 to 2500 on the first year after the crash,
    I cannot get insured from anybody apart from the company I was with during the crash.

you will soon start to praise any small reduction in insurance costs, but I expect the claim to be over my head for 5 years before I can really move to other companies.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

In February 2013 I had a small crash in car, ran into the back of somebody. They put in a claim against me in March, with which I have no issues (I was at fault). My insurance was with AA at the time, and came up for renewal in May. Because of the open claim I wasn't able to get a quote from anyone else apart from the AA, and my insurance last year was just over €800 for the year. The underwriter of the insurance was Aviva (as it had been for as long as I have been with the AA - 3 years now).

My insurance is now up for renewal again, and that claim is still open. I was expecting a small reduction if nothing else from the AA due to 1 year's no claims, nothing else has changed for me. I was very surprised to be told that my renewal quote was over €1,300, now being underwritten by the RSA (as AA and Aviva no longer operate together). I have tried ringing other brokers/etc but nobody will quote me apart from 1 broker who did manage to get a quote through Aviva for €1090, but that would be 1 lump sum with no direct debit option.

As it stands, I'm pretty screwed. Because of that open claim I can't shop around, and I've been told that claim could drag on longer still due to slow down in the personal injuries board. Is there anything anyone can suggest that I can do? I suggested to a broker that maybe I could put my partner as the insured with me named, but they said that if they see my open claim they'll still say no (unless I stick with AA or Aviva).

It's extremely frustrating, as far as I can see I am being ripped off here big time. :mad:

I fail to see how you are getting screwed.

You crashed into someone and there is obviously an outstanding personal injury claim.

If its outstanding for over a year then its likely your insurance company will be paying out a sizable chunk of money to the person you crashed into, a helluva lot more than €1300.

This sense of entitlement that some people have is staggering.

I crashed my car, have a claim outstanding but I still want cheaper insurance.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You are not being ripped off OP. Your new premium reflects the difference between you and other similar drivers who have not had an accident. Its how the system works

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If people (i.e. last 2 posters) took the time to read my OP, you would see that my insurance did go up after the crash, crash was in Feb 2013, claim in March 2013, renewal in May 2013.

I have no issues with this, it was my fault and I understand and accept this.

I do have an issue with my insurance going up by another €500 one year on, when my no claims bonus should have meant at the minimum a similar premium (reduced if you think about it).

I have no option but to go along with the price AA are quoting me, but I will be complaining to them also, as it would appear that them no longer working with Aviva seems to be costing me quite a sum of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I did read your original post. At 1st renewal you changed insurer and their rating structure applied instead of what you were used to. AA are your brokers and, instead of complaining about them, you should be thankful they were able to get you that alternative quote at the time. As long as you are getting the 1 year NCB, the base rate can be what the insurer sets out

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yjfadidas

Hi dulpit, can you tell me what is that broker called that can quote you with an open claim? I am currently suffering from getting a quotation for my car insurance with an open claim, all declined so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

yjfadidas wrote: »
    Hi dulpit, can you tell me what is that broker called that can quote you with an open claim? I am currently suffering from getting a quotation for my car insurance with an open claim, all declined so far!

I have no idea unfortunately, cannot remember. I just googled for insurance brokers in Cork and rang one or two. They might have been in Bandon if memory serves (sorry).

Advertisement