Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show 9th of May 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

You can imagne eejit Enda thinking "Ah shure we'll let his daughter run in the by-election. She'll get the sympathy vote. Job done."

But sure wasn't he right? She did get the votes. As did the Andrews, the Healy Raes, the Lenihans and so on. The people vote them in. I don't understand it personally, but they do.

So long as people vote them in, we'll never be rid of the "dynasty" in Irish politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I always take comfort in the fact that I'm the same age as Dara but he looks about ten years older than me. Result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Jesus dara must be desperate for the new tour. He usually avoids late late Show, sticks to radio like Darcy and Moncrieff.

I love Dara but feel like he looks down on Tubs.

For a bonus, everyone should look up his room 101 appearance where he talks about a certain Echo island presenter who may be from the meath gaeltacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Muse - Uprising was the song I was thinking off... V similar riff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dara O'Briain played Minor Hurling for Wicklow.

Once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Funny how Dara - a man who knows how to entertain - had to point out that the conversation was in danger of getting pretty dull!

Skid X wrote: »
    I love seeing comedians work in progress shows, it's interesting to see what does and doesn't work for them.

Me too, often even funnier than the polished product. Definitely more intimate and you get to see more of the comedian's real personality.

Nice jumper Dara!

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Jesus dara must be desperate for the new tour. He usually avoids late late Show, sticks to radio like Darcy and Moncrieff.

For a bonus, everyone should look up his room 101 appearance where he talks about a certain Echo island presenter who may be from the meath gaeltacht

Oh, the Blathnaid clip? That's excellent.

I think he does the LLS most years, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

You can imagne eejit Enda thinking "Ah shure we'll let his daughter run in the by-election. She'll get the sympathy vote. Job done."

"Politics" and "Government" are two different things.

• "Politics" is the profession/art/science of winning votes.
    • "Government" is the profession/whatever of running a country.

Running Shane McEntee's daughter in the by-election was absolutely the correct thing to do in terms of the former.
    Whether or not it was the right thing to do in terms of the latter, only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭edelweis

Yawn - Ryan and Dara are just not making the magic. They should roll Omar back on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Meangadh wrote: »
    But sure wasn't he right? She did get the votes. As did the Andrews, the Healy Raes, the Lenihans and so on. The people vote them in. I don't understand it personally, but they do.

So long as people vote them in, we'll never be rid of the "dynasty" in Irish politics.

True. Brian Cowen got what was his father's seat, and then his brother got his seat, and on and on it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    And it was and he did and the thick spuds voted exactly that way.

Exactly right, it is the Irish people that are the problem, everyone else in the country is corrupt dishonest etc but the local candidates are characters and "sure he sorted my planning permission for me" still baffled how north tipp keep voting for Michael Lowry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

He ain't funny. He's patronizing

Vorenus400 wrote: »

Deadly, I'll check that later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bewitched in Japan springs to mind.

Dara would be a great LLS host.

He briefly had a chat show on BBC2 called 'Turn Back Time', I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Actually not too many clips tonight, compared to recent shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Age has withered him.... does he not realise what has gone before him on this show alone, it started out with so much promise

• Advertisement

Running Shane McEntee's daughter in the by-election was absolutely the correct thing to do in terms of the former.
    Whether or not it was the right thing to do in terms of the latter, only time will tell.

Wow Locum, you are really firing from all cylinders tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

I always take comfort in the fact that I'm the same age as Dara but he looks about ten years older than me. Result!
    I think he's actually younger than Prof Brian Cox but the age gap always looked massive on the 'science' show... sorry can't think of name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Times up. and to be frank, listening to her then and now time will never give her the room to improve. Which is not very unusual for Irish politicians to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Astrology. :pac:

edelweis wrote: »
    Yawn - Ryan and Dara every single Late Late Show guest he's ever had are just not making the magic. They should roll Omar back on!!!

FYP.

Dara, Brian Cox is more than just "the brains of the outfit" to be fair!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Oh, the Blathnaid clip? That's excellent.

I think he does the LLS most years, to be honest.

I stand corrected on his LLS appearances. havent seen him on before.

He is good at this as he isnt let Tubs talk too much. But he isnt doing real laughing either

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

Dara O'Briain played Minor Hurling for Wicklow.

Once.

Probably involved in locking that ref in the boot of a car back in the day!

His Rocket face looks like John Kenny from RTE Sport

0001a50a-642.jpg

Pearlstone wrote: »
    Probably involved in locking that ref in the boot of a car back in the day!

ah, that happened more than once :)

Watch out for the ant farm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm sorry, but you're going to have to explain what you mean: they "represent", but aren't "representative"?

I'm absolutely NOT resistant to the idea of more female politicians. I'm resistant to the idea of the election chances of members of ANY particular cohort of people being artificially inflated.

What's next? Rules that say that 1.7% of the Dail has to be Asian, 1.1% Black, 0.8% Other?

I mean that they don't reflect society as a whole. When men make up around 50% of the Irish population, but 85% of the Dail, it's pretty obvious that something has gone askew somewhere. It's not that the public are less likely to vote for women - it's that the mainstream political parties seem to have a certain culture that mainly attracts men.

Forcing the political parties to run more female candidates won't result in their election chances being artificially inflated. If the public wants an 85% male Dail, then they'll still be able to elect one.

Fair play to Dara, he is making subjects like astronomy accessible for a wider audience.

Cosmo2013 wrote: »
    I think he's actually younger than Prof Brian Cox but the age gap always looked massive on the 'science' show... sorry can't think of name of it.

Even this Brian Cox looks younger than Dara ;)

briancox_2455291b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Night Night folks, I hope you all have a happy and safe week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That was shyte

Watch out for the ant farm!

frame192.jpg

"Come back when you have a tumor, Dara. Then we'll talk for longer."

oh no…….crikey…. very embarressing!!!

Night night pedants, peddlers and posters

No Dara you weren't in the graveyard slot tonight that honour fell to Omar

edelweis wrote: »
    oh no…….crikey…. very embarressing!!!

Night night pedants, peddlers and posters

goodnight.....*switches back to TG4

• Advertisement

Dara did actually seem p*ssed off there.

Rightly so, wonder what he thought about the previous bit. Probably had some opinion, it's a similar deal to the quota of female panellists on quiz shows b*llocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

RayM wrote: »
    ...men make up around 50% of the Irish population, but 85% of the Dail...

To which I say "So what?"

Astrology. :pac:

And everyone knows what Dara thinks of astrology (same as he thinks of homeopathy). Ryan couldn't have put his foot further in it there!!!

Nos da, my friends!

keith16 wrote: »
    goodnight.....*switches back to TG4

They don't show those durty French films anymore, although I used to watch them for their artistic value..... ;)

They don't show those durty French films anymore, although I used to watch them for their artistic value..... ;)

Indeed.....I still tune in every week. More in expectation rather than hope.

A Prayer at Bedtime won't let me down tho....

Peace be with you all.

Probably worst show of 2014 anyway "Good night and good luck" Edward R Murrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Even this Brian Cox looks younger than Dara ;)

briancox_2455291b.jpg

I thought this was a selfie, Harry. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Peace be with you all.

And also with you. And with your spirit. (only people who've been to mass recently will get that one)

And may the Lord God have mercy on the soul of Omar Sharif RIP.

Advertisement