Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to use my money in America

Options
  • 09-05-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to America for just under 3 months at the end of May. I currently have most of my money in my Irish bank account and a bit in cash (US dollars). I've looked into the An Post money card but that still charges you $2.50 everytime you withdraw money from an ATM. Is anyone aware of what BOI charge for the same process?

Any suggestions as to the best way to go about this would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Looks like BOI are just as pricey if not more so.

3 months is a fair amount of time to spend over there so my usual advise of "stick to the ATM and take out maximum amounts each time may not hold water".

Do travelers cheques still exist? I've not used them in over 10 years. They were a good solution back then to get large sums of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

In the USA, you can pay for almost anything by credit card. If you can get one, that would be the easiest and safest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

Just be careful if using a bank of ireland card, i tried to use my visa debit card in new york whilst there for two weeks, and even tho I informed the bank I would be in usa for the duration they rang and emailed me about frauldent use of my card and I was limited tp a certain amount each day. My advice if using bank of ire cards including a credit card would be to chat to someone in the bank before you travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

naughtyfox wrote: »
    Just be careful if using a bank of ireland card, i tried to use my visa debit card in new york whilst there for two weeks, and even tho I informed the bank I would be in usa for the duration they rang and emailed me about frauldent use of my card and I was limited tp a certain amount each day. My advice if using bank of ire cards including a credit card would be to chat to someone in the bank before you travel.

Ive never had a problem with BOI cards in the US.
    Who did you inform before you left? branch or 365online?
    Limited to a certain amount each day? in ATM's?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

Yup I went into my bank before I left and informed them, this was last june and the only time in many years that it happened to me but unfortunately i had so many calls and emails from the bank whilst there, yeah i flew into newark and couldnt get any cash from the bank link in the airport, just saying it does happen.

• Advertisement

naughtyfox wrote: »
    Yup I went into my bank before I left and informed them, this was last june and the only time in many years that it happened to me but unfortunately i had so many calls and emails from the bank whilst there, yeah i flew into newark and couldnt get any cash from the bank link in the airport, just saying it does happen.

I realise it does happen (with all banks), I would only inform BOI with telephone banking, wouldn't trust the branch.
    I still dont understand your comment of ' and I was limited to a certain amount each day', was that just the normal limits banks put on transactions when abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

dobsdave wrote: »
    I realise it does happen (with all banks), I would only inform BOI with telephone banking, wouldn't trust the branch.
    I still dont understand your comment of ' and I was limited to a certain amount each day', was that just the normal limits banks put on transactions when abroad?

Often $200 a day limit to withdrawals with Irish banks...bit of a pain if you are in Vegas say...

MadsL wrote: »
    Often $200 a day limit to withdrawals with Irish banks...bit of a pain if you are in Vegas say...

Thats why im confused by the comment, not sure why BOI was mentioned in particular, or what relation the daily limit had to the card being blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP - Are you going over on a J1 visa to work for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP - Are you going over on a J1 visa to work for the summer?

Nah on an ESTA. Is it difficult to set up a US bank account?

• Advertisement

Yeah, you'll need a social security number to open a bank account & you won't be able to get one of those if you are only over there on holiday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

AdamD wrote: »
    Nah on an ESTA. Is it difficult to set up a US bank account?

That'll be impossible I'm afraid. Time to look into the cheapest credit card solution I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Alright cheers for the replies, will have to be credit/debit cards and taking out the maximum from ATMs!

Use your plastic for as many transactions as possible. Keep your use of ATM's to a minimum and take out the max you can take out each time. Not only will your card issuer here charge you a fee for using the card outside side the country, the owner of the ATM machine in the US will also charge you a fee.

Bank of America ATM's charge me $5 every time I use my AIB or Bank Of Ireland debit cards to withdraw cash from their ATM's. Even though that may seem steep, try to use the ATM's that are in banks, or operated by banks. The independent ATM's that are not owned by a bank, have even higher fees. You'll see them in airports, liquor stores, petrol stations, hotel lobbies, supermarkets etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

One thing to keep in mind is that most grocery stores and some other shops offer "cash back" ie you pay by credit o debit card and you can also get cash, usually up to the same amount as the purchases you just made. As far as I know, there is no "cash advance" fee for getting cash like that, unlike at an ATM, but check, don;t just take my word for it...

Advertisement