Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Event, Longest Day Swim

Options
  • 09-05-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi
    A new swim event in Galway, Longest Day Swim, 21st June. An evening swim down The Corrib, 2.5km or 4km option.

entries open on Active.com e25.00 plus booking fee, includes bus transfer, insurance, event t-shirt and refreshments after.

The short distance is all down river while the longer course will have a 250mtrs up river start with the balance a fast blast down the river.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have you a link to the registration page?

Think I'll give this a go. Be nice to get a 4k OW swim in. Where is it finishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sounds like great fun - wish I lived closer as I'd be all over this!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Have you a link to the registration page?

Think I'll give this a go. Be nice to get a 4k OW swim in. Where is it finishing?

Hi pgibbo
    active.com
    Finishes at Steamers Quay, Woodquay. Its a beautiful swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Hi pgibbo
    active.com
    Finishes at Steamers Quay, Woodquay. Its a beautiful swim.

Is the shorter distance 2k or 2.5k? Where does it start? Might give it a go :) Are there cut off times? (spot the slow swimmer)

Tea Tree wrote: »
    Is the shorter distance 2k or 2.5k? Where does it start? Might give it a go :) Are there cut off times? (spot the slow swimmer)

hi Tee Tree
    Its 2.5km but its down river so will swim shorter than 2km. There are no cut off times, if you lie on your back you'll float down in less than an hour:)

• Advertisement

Tea Tree wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't answer your other question.
    The short course starts at Menlo Castle/ Dangan slipway and the long course starts at Menlo Pier. Long course has a 250mtr up river start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

thanks SS :)

I'll get practicing my floating technique so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

what is the advantage of swimming down stream ?>> i remember watching Big /river /man doc and he was saying it was like 10/1 where hed swim 10km per day and travel nearly 100 ?? does this sound about right ?

Really depends on the flow, rain fall, your stroke, and the particular river.

Its certainly a lot easier than swimming against the flow.

I describe it as swimming about 20% short of the distance. So 4km swims like 3.2.k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

there is a pretty big current in the corrib at the calmest of times, id imagine its more than walking speed, so if you hopped in and threaded water for 30 mins id say you 'd be most of the way there

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »
    there is a pretty big current in the corrib at the calmest of times, id imagine its more than walking speed, so if you hopped in and threaded water for 30 mins id say you 'd be most of the way there

Way way below walking speed, but as per earlier post it is dependant on lots of factors.

Easy way to figure it out, come swim on the 21st of June there are still some entries left.

Advertisement