Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a good Petrol Station ?

• 09-05-2014 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

(Disclosure) Dublin petrol station owner here.

I'm really hoping to get some feedback from motorists as to what makes them go to their chosen petrol station. Obviously there is the fuel pricing asapect, but assuming that is competitive what would/does make you return to a station again and again.

As a guideline it could be any of the following:

Facilities (what do you want/expect?)
    Customer service
    Bathroom facilities
    Good Deli
    Quality Coffee
    Reputable fuel
    etc etc etc

I'd really appreciate if you have an opinion that you let me know. I'm trying very very hard to turn a (really good imo) station into one that makes a profit. You feedback is really genuinely important. If you could even give your favourite station that would be a big help as well.

Thank you.

Mods - I'm not advertising for business here at all, I hope this is ok. I'm quite happy to make a donation to a charity of your choice for letting me ask for feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Friendly staff! If they're not a people person in the interview, they're not going to be a people person in the station.
    Decent air and water facilities.
    Preferably if they have some interest in cars as well.
    The deposit system works good for making sure the hose is put back on.
    Reputable fuel is paramount. If it was me I'd go for one of maxol, texaco, topaz or esso I won't touch the others.
    Car always seems to run rougher on the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Breakfast rolls and hot Polish girls :D

Bein serious for a sec but for me these are the most important factors in my uneducated opinion

Reputable fuel
    Location and ease of access
    Customer service
    Good Deli
    Quality Coffee

EDIT: Decent air and water facilities too - very imprtant ( thanks quadrifoglio verde)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Good Deli.
    Special Offers on Tea/Coffee & Minerals.
    Decent Water and Air facilities, I dont mind sticking a euro coin in as a deposit.
    Reasonable fuel prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I worked in a petrol station for the bones of a year and it was in a great location so this helped no end. Our fuel was reasonably priced and we provided a really good selection in the deli. For returning customers we would offer free tea / coffee for every €50 spent on diseal/petrol. This seemed to bring to bring in customers as they would often tell us about how the deal would catch their eye! Friendly staff who can strike up conversation, know the prices and location of items in the shop and a general knowledge of cars and car items such as the different types of oil etc helped. Hiring local staff who know the area well was also a bonus as we would have a lot of people passing through looking for directions to tourist spots and hotels. We hired two men to do security in the evenings that were there for locking up and doing the end of day with the tills and doing cash drops. They were a great help and added a real sense of security in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Thank you very much for the replies so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I like a petrol station to have space to park if I stop for lunch when im on the road. One that I use often durimg.the summer has a couple of picnic benchs outside which is great so I can chill out and get out of the car for a while. I drive a bike too and if I am out for a spin and stop in a garage I like to chill out for a bit and take a break

A good deli where the staff are not told to be stingy with the fillings is a big plus!

Clean toilet is very important! Again I travel a fair bit woth work and if I need to use the jacks I will go out od my way to use one I know is clean!

Clean air and water facilities, nothimg worse than wearimg a suit and getting filthy toppimg up the windscreen washer!

Clean diesel pumps with disposable gloves available. Very hard to get rid of the smell of diesel off your hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Sounds silly but quality and well priced coffee definitely influences my choice of garage. :pac:

Friendly staff and reputable fuel are distant 2nd and 3rds. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I don't know of one that exists in Ireland but I'd love a garage with a proper car wash (hand washed with decent product) and a small cafe to kill the time waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Hot dogs!

(I used to go out of my way to a, I think, Statoil station in Santry for the hot dogs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Bit of a different one here. And more motorbike related.

But when I pull up and put the petrol nozzle in the tank, I absolutely hate being asked to remove my helmet. I'm sure many other bikers are the same.

I don't return to stations that do this to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

System where people are told to clear the pump area when going in to get deli food while paying for the fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cheap petrol. That's all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

I love my local petrol station, it has everything i need and i can also drop in for other bits i may need other then fuel.

Friendly staff.
    Cheap Fuel.
    Decent parking.
    Easy access getting in and out.
    Location.
    A good selection on small groceries available in store.
    A franchise or a decent deli with a good selection and variety.
    Coffee and fresh pastries available for the morning.
    ATM machine is also a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

In order.
    Fuel brand and price. Topaz top of list and never esso. Price difference wont put me off unless it was 2 cent or more. Location comes next. Junction 14 mayfield is class not sure if its a petrol station or more. Smaller fuel stations I dont touch the food or coffe cause they are extortionate especially maxols or mace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Actually.... An Addendum.

A giant magnet over the forecourt to remove the cars of idiots who block the pumps by 'just popping in to wait in a queue for somebody to make me a sandwich', but who aren't actually filling up.

And...

Topaz garages only this one. No quiz before they hand over your change. No 'irish lottery?'. No 'euromillions?'. No 'do you have a loyalty card?'. No 'do you want a loyalty card?'. No. Just no. Give me my change and fut the shuck up.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Pedro K wrote: »
    Bit of a different one here. And more motorbike related.

But when I pull up and put the petrol nozzle in the tank, I absolutely hate being asked to remove my helmet. I'm sure many other bikers are the same.

It's a pain alright, but I always remove my helmet out of respect for the staff.

I'd imagine that petrol station staff are at one of the highest risks of having weapons pointed at them out of any career. I'd rather not have them second guessing what I'm reaching inside my baggy jacket for.

On topic though:

Quality petrol - as a biker we notice when the engine is off
    Air and water - with no charge (deposit is fine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I like paper or a glove at the tank so I'm not smelling of diesel, that doesn't make me go to one particular station though it's just a luxury, good food is probably one of the biggest reasons I'd pull in.
    I've also a fuel card as it's handy to get a vat invoice for my fuel, tbh the one I have is topaz so if your not a topaz I'll more than likely drive past your garage.
    I've no loyalty to topaz so if I saw you advertising a fuel card outside with knowledgable staff I could easily become a regular customer.
    So, stamps, cards, prizes etc would all be good things to be running. Even this time of year, holiday vouchers might gab my eye.
    Decent Car was is another biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

All I want from a filling station near home is that it takes my credit card at the pump so I can fill and can go.

If it's a filling station on a long drive, it's a place to park, a place to service the car and not having to drive round and round in circles to get from the pump to these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Free air and friendly staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It depends on location and whether you'll have mostly locals or a lot of people travelling from A-B or touristing around.

Important
    Quality fuel
    Decent access to and from the road with no signs impeding vision
    Cleanliness of the forecourt, shop area and facilities
    Pricing both of fuel and snacks/deli/grocery
    Clean loos, INSIDE the building
    Adequate space between pumps - I don't want to wait 15 minutes because someone's doing their weekly shopping or gossiping
    Staffing levels for tills and forecourt

Bonus
    A selection of maps and local information leaflets
    Good flowers and cards
    An offer to pump your fuel and/or clean the windscreen
    Handwash
    Coffee
    Loyalty scheme
    Functional ATM

Turnoffs
    Those stupid Topaz layouts where you have to traipse around like a sheep - I drive on by
    Insufficient staff and long queues

I tend to use Applegreen Mount Merrion and Texaco on Newtownpark Avenue but if I'm filling the tank from the red light I take a look on pumps.ie and see which stations that I trust have best value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Let's see..

- Competively-priced quality fuel
    - Good layout for entering/exiting
    - Working facilities (air/water)
    - Well-maintained car wash
    - Parking if needed
    - Decent shop/deli at reasonable prices
    - ATM
    - Friendly helpful staff
    - Clean, well-maintained site in general
    But the the thing that annoys me most - those stupid pre-pay pumps. Yeah I get that you are trying to stop drive-offs, but they're a massive pain, especially if the place is busy.
    I have no idea how much the fuel is going to cost me as I tend to fill to the brim rather than throwing 10/20 into it. Topaz are fond of this approach and it really annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

topless car wash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

Not letting people park at the pumps when not getting fuel. Nothing worse than waiting for someone to move their car and they come out with a roll and coffee or they popped in to do the lotto and ended up queuing for 5 minutes.
    Also friendly staff who are told NOT to ask if you need a lotto ticket or a lighter. If I need something I'll ask for it myself.
    A decent car wash would make me return too.
    Oh and clean toilets are a must!
    Good luck with the station!

BMJD wrote: »
    topless car wash

Have you seen some of the guys who work in car washes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

If it's a place that I go to fill up during the week, it's fuel price only.

Regarding the shop aspect of a service station if I'm on the road, a deli is important. Handy to get a sandwich or hot chicken roll made up if you need it. Can be a bonus if they have an integrated Supermacs or fast food place, occasionally. Nice to get an icecream in sunny weather. Clean toilets are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Good clear signage and a clean well presented forcourt would help, first impressions do matter. A reputable brand especially for diesel owners is a must. Competative prices. Paper towels and gloves at the pumps. Friendly staff. Clean toilets. Good deli with cheap coffee (that also tastes good). Parking for non fuel customers with lined parking preventing buttholes parking where they wish. A sign saying parking at the pumps is for fuel customers only. Another sign suggesting you free up the pumps for the next customer by moving your car to a free space

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Hot Topless Eastern European wimins

i think we would all agree on this

that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I find the petrol stations located at services on UK motorways to be the best.

Things i would look out for;

Toilets located inside the shop (like the Mountrath one on the old N7), not some crappy outside one with no lock on the door.

A reputable coffee brand like a costa machine in store.

A deli counter

Competitive fuel pricing

Ease of access from both directions

An ATM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

• Plastic gloves
    • Soapy bucket of water with window cleaning blade
    • No charge for water or air
    • Good powerhose with brush car cleaning facilities. No paint scratching automatic machines.
    • Fresh pastries in the morning with good quality coffee
    • At night, automatic pumps that take cards.
    • Pumps that work, no out of order signs!
    • Diesel nozzle at every pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

Don't ask me if I want matches or a lotto ticket!

Keep the queue moving in the shop. If there's a queue, get the staff on the tills. At busy times, have one person doing 'fuel only'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Handle click-on on diesel pumps to work!
    Absolute pain trying to fill a large tanked commercial.
    Toilets
    ATM (with updated sign outside informing if it's out of service!!)
    Competitively priced deli ( I avoid on the run)
    Large cups on tea/coffee machine.

I understand the need to ask if you've any fuel, but why do the staff always assume that you've filled coffee when you bring your cup to the counter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Clean diesel pumps with disposable gloves, nothing worse than going to a meeting/wedding/function and nothing to wipe the stink off.
    Bins....... I know it's my rubbish but hell, I probably bought it from your shop.
    A proper one way queing system for the pumps. Hate being in the que and some numpty tries to join from "the wrong side".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Probably echoing other posters but...
    • Easy access, if I need to fight my way in and out of traffic I won't be back
    • No regularly closed pumps - it's really annoying to only notice once you've stopped there is no diesel
    • Reasonably quick to pay - I don't want spend five minutes queuing in shop
    • Reasonably clean - I don't want to feel I'd catch something from the donuts...
    • A reasonable air and water set up, it has to work and be somewhere that isn't blocked by cars at the pumps
    • if there is a clear place for me (and others) to park after filling up, before I pay it is a plus. (The Esso on the N7 southbound at Kill wins on this one)

On price you don't have to be the cheapest, but you do need to be competitive with other reputable stations... For me this covers a wide area, I'm in Naas, Maynooth, Dunboyne, Blanch several times a week, and around the red cow and Templogue at weekend. Anyone more than 2c out from the cheapest reputable station on my path each week is out... I guess my general point is that for some your competition might not be up the road.

Paddy

Ohhhh and a organised queing system for paying, some are straight forward, others have one from the side with impulse buy obstacles, no one knows where to join when someone joins the que in the wrong place.

• Advertisement

It's also interesting to note the amount of replies in 2hrs on a friday evening, people obviously care a lot about the petrol stations they use.

Odelay wrote: »
    It's also interesting to note the amount of replies in 2hrs on a friday evening, people obviously care a lot about the petrol stations they use.

There'd be more but everyone is stuck behind some bint in Mayfair who put €10 in and then went for a snack box in Supermacs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If you had 98 octane fuel I would be there everday.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

Some of my favorite Petrol stations are hugely popular with car enthusiasts
    To get this market youd need
    -Automatic tyre pumps
    -Self service car wash and Hoover
    - Plenty of lined parking spaces
    - Cheap coffee

Many people will say that they don't want this "Scumbag/boy racer" market but 9/10 car enthusiasts will come in and spend a fair amount of money on petrol and weekly car washes and cause no trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

BMJD wrote: »
    topless car wash

Lol

A georgia salpa weekend ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ifaptwohanded

OP can you tell us now what you have at your garage and what you don't have from recommendations posted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

All of the obvious priorities for a good FS have already been mentioned, but could I just point out two other things?

How hard would it be to stock a couple types of headlight bulbs and the generic rear brakelight/driving light bulbs along with a few blade fuses?They wouldn't be high volume sellers, but when you get a customer out of a hole, they tend to remember you.

Secondly, quite a few times I have decided never to use a particular FS again, as they allow HGVs to park along the road between the entrance to the FS and it's exit, thus blocking the sightlines of all cars emerging from the FS to a dangerous extent.

Addendum:You could also try out my new and groundbreaking loyalty scheme - a massage parlour down the back for loyal customers to eh, relieve the stress of modern day driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Competitive priced fuel
    And great reasonable coffee
    Edit: mainly good coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

The Deli food needs to be reasonably fresh. Nothing worse than going into a petrol station starving and mad for a breakfast roll to find that the rashers, pudding, sausages and everything else have shriveled up to rock hard, inedible former food stuffs. Yet any deli I've experienced this at are still happy to serve this muck and charge full price.

Please encourage your staff to throw out stuff that is clearly beyond it's best. Maybe this could be prevented by having lids on the deli items? Keep the moisture in? Also keep the pastries covered somehow, disgusting seeing flies walking on the doughnuts etc.

As has been said, good coffee that is reasonably priced is very important.

Plenty of parking and a decent service area.

Water and brush/squeegee to wash windscreen at the pump.

Above all, keep your facilities clean and stocked. Countless petrol stations have disposable glove dispensers, tissue dispensers etc. that aren't kept stocked. What's the point if you aren't bothered filling them?

Edit: And a free car wash for boardsies displaying the motoring forum sticker! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PCGEN

Lots of car parking/easy access. I don't pull up if the place is too cluttered.

Staff that don't rush you

Fresh pastries/muffins should be fresh

ATM. ATM sign outside to say 'not in service'

Toilet paper always in bathroom

Fuel price

Milk always to be available if buying tea / coffee

Someone always available to do car wash

Friendly staff especially at deli & butcher counter

All prices to be clearly marked. Some are very cluttered on the shelf & can be hard to find the correct price, alot of the time it's missing.

I mainly buy special offers so these could be better displayed at times.

I'm always looking for 10kg bags of coal, find them hard to get.

Free treats are good. It brings me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Sounds silly but quality and well priced coffee definitely influences my choice of garage. :pac:

Friendly staff and reputable fuel are distant 2nd and 3rds. :D
    I'm your brother if that is the case. I live near New Ross in Wexford. When getting diesel, I will drive to an out of town station for 1 simple reason - coffee.

The diesel is a couple of cent dearer than the stations in town. But, the coffee is to die for. I love the Mocha out there and the Mrs. loves the latte. I get a Hot chocolate for the small chap if he is with us. All top notch stuff.

Also, their deli is excellent.

But the coffee is the deal maker for me.

O.P. - Get really good coffee (some filling stations coffee is battery acid with milk in) and good quality hot serve over deli and you are onto a winner. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is there even a petrol station left in the country, apart from the motorway Applegreens, that has a toilet?

In my experience, more have than don't

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

I never pay any attention to fuel prices as they only differ by couple of cents and I only usually spend 50€ per fill as soon as the needle goes below 1/2 of a tank.

Things that attract me are:
    · Welcoming atmosphere - If I’m in rush, I will fill up and go, but if I travel with family, I might decide to have a coffee and sandwich at a clean table, read or watch the news and don't feel rushed out of the place.
    · Clean facilities.
    · Outside tables if the weather is good or at least a parking somewhere away from the pumps.
    · I often grab some fruit and pay attention to how fresh and ripe is it. For that reason I often visit Texaco.
    · The competition is high so you would have to stand out from the crowd to attract people. Topaz with their point system and app that has built in tag will let you feel like you’re leaving the party with a balloon.
    · Try to be innovative and creative. Do something others won't - organize a BBQ on a good day and sell freshly BBQ'd burgers (not sure if safe), with fresh salad for example. Fresh juice or something. Bikini car wash, where the profit will go to charity on a sunny day. etc.
    · Some of those things will not bring immediate profit but there is no quick fix I don't think.
    · As mentioned - friendly staff, but as with every service all of the 7 P's must be got right.
    I think the strong coffee has got better of me. I don't usually get this keyboard happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Don't care about the price of fuel, but must be good quality.
    Don't care about the price of coffee, again as long as it's high quality.

And working fuel delivery locks, squeezing a handle for 3-4 mins is a pain in the ass, I avoid local stations that don't have them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement