Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother and Baby Groups- not breast feeding

Options
  • 09-05-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have searched all the sites I can think of eg Cuidiu rollercoaster ( sorry if not allowed mention these just wanted to say I had already checked there) etc but can't find any mother and Baby groups in Drumcondra/fairview etc for me and my 6wk old

I can find loads of breast feeding support groups but I had to stop BF this week do can't go to those. Can also find loads of mother and toddler groups but again she is 6wk so don't think I can attend these either.

Anyone any help? I don't have family here so looking to get out and meet other mums.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

mother and toddler groups usually encompass parent and baby too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    mother and toddler groups usually encompass parent and baby too:)

Thanks moonbeam I was not sure about that to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

If you wanted to restart breast feeding you could go to one if those breast feeding groups.

If however you're not interested in that you could have a look at mother and baby yoga / swimming / etc because they'll definitely have young babies.
    but definitely give the toddler ones a go too - you'll meet similar ladies to yourself.

And finally if you don't find one you want, you could always start one yourself on the websites you mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If you're comfortable being around breastfeeding mums then I'd say you'd be very welcome at the meet ups. Any groups I've been at have been very open and welcoming. Don't dismiss them outright just because you're not breastfeeding anymore. We're all mums at the end of the day and we all have the same experiences regarding lack of sleep, tiredness etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've often rocked up to breastfeeding groups with a bottle in tow when I was on maternity leave, mainly just to get and have a chat with other mammys.

As above, mother toddler groups are great as an awful lot of mother with toddlers also have a small baby or are heavily pregnant - that's what I've found from these groups. And even if none have a small baby, they are often there for a chat as well while junior is entertained by the toys.

Check with your local phn office if there are mother parent/ baby groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 aiseiri47

Try looking on community notice boards in shopping centres and the likes (leisure centre, parish hall, etc); unlike breastfeeding support like Cuidiu and LLL, most parent-baby-toddler groups are locally run and thus locally advertised. And second looking into activities like baby swim or baby massage :)

Advertisement