Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Mower engine problem

• 09-05-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Briggs & Stratton engine type XTL 45. Starts 1st time every time but then it hunts continually. reducing the revs reduces the pulsing.
    The air filter is clean. I have stripped the carburettor and found nothing obvious. Plug gap is ok. Fuel flow from tank is ok.
    Can anybody suggest what else might be causing the engine to hunt .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

could be the governor, don't know what it looks like in that particular engine but there could be something blocking its movement at a certain point causing it to overcompensate. remove the top cover and try holding it in place with the engine running to see does it still do it, without the engine running check if you can move it freely.

some are adjustable. again not sure, or tbh if this engine even has one for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

Thank you Mr O ! twas the governor... on this engine the gov is a mechanical link arm ... I found a video on Youtube showing how to adjust it.... I adjusted it, but found the engine revved excessively ( no pulsing though). I put it back to it's original position and engine is now running fine...... so, as you suggested, the gov may have been stuck in one position... something else learned!

Advertisement