Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Practical

Options
  • 09-05-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So how did everyone's construction practical go?
    Mine has me worried a fair bit too be honest, I really need someone to give me the low down on how it is marked and shizz like that. I managed to get EVERY joint done (Bar one and some of the joints were lose, but they fitted if you get me), and got the whole thing fitting together (Apart from that one joint I said I didn't do). But at the same time I wasn't able to do any of the chamfers or any of the curves on the shelf pieces. Also on one party I ended up doing the same joint on two different ends (It was only ment to be on end, but I put it on the wrong one first). How do you think I will do grade wise? Most joints done, some a bit loose and dodgy, timber split on some parts, some curves not done, one joint not done, I'm freaking out somone help aghhhh :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Badwulf wrote: »
    So how did everyone's construction practical go?
    Mine has me worried a fair bit too be honest, I really need someone to give me the low down on how it is marked and shizz like that. I managed to get EVERY joint done (Bar one and some of the joints were lose, but they fitted if you get me), and got the whole thing fitting together (Apart from that one joint I said I didn't do). But at the same time I wasn't able to do any of the chamfers or any of the curves on the shelf pieces. Also on one party I ended up doing the same joint on two different ends (It was only ment to be on end, but I put it on the wrong one first). How do you think I will do grade wise? Most joints done, some a bit loose and dodgy, timber split on some parts, some curves not done, one joint not done, I'm freaking out somone help aghhhh :(

This post has made me happy. I'm in the same boat! 4 hours isn't enough for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

9bred4 wrote: »
    This post has made me happy. I'm in the same boat! 4 hours isn't enough for me at all.

Waiting for someone who knows the marking scheme to tell me my fate :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

I have a wrong cut on left vertical piece (I started making a horizontal "H" joint - if you understand what I mean, instead of "C" joint).
    Also the "C" joint at left vertical (bottom one) is few millimeters loose.
    And a vertical piece with dovetails is turned wrong way :D

But I managed to get everything else done, quite decently :) Hope for 20+ :/

Did you manage to get it all fitting together? think we will lose marks for accidently joints which are not supposed to be there?

Yeah I did, I made all chamfers and everything except those three mistakes that I couldn't fix in any way. However more than half of my class struggled to get it finished, I'm not really sure cause I was focused on my piece. :/
    And yes, I think I'll definitely lose 3 marks for those 3 mistakes, and possibly even more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2013/LC029ALP000EV.pdf

That is the link to last years marking scheme the last few pages show the marking scheme for the practical exam.
    It is similar to this years exam to give you an idea of where the marks go

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭omara95

Our teacher said if you get some sort of frame fitting together you will at least get 15%.

I hope I wont lose many due to the fact I pretty much did extra joints, one piece has two "Pegs" on it instead of one for a bridle joint ahhh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Got it done.. Cut every joint fairly perfectly. Went to put it together and one of the stupid little finger joints (the small one that looks like it doesn't even act as a joint) was 10mm too deep because I read measurements on the paper wrong for it. It was very hidden and tough the comprehend... Mad a haims of one of my chamfers too but it looks feasible. I was fine with all of that until I realised I made a horrible marking out error. The piece with the dovetails and tenons ended up being too wide to fit in. I must have marked it from the wrong side. So right at the end when I was putting it together I cut the whole width of the piece by about 10-20mm... I was sickened. Although it had no effect on my joint.. They're all still spot on. I only did it so it would assemble correctly. The way I see it I'll only lose marks for the marking out of those pieces? Two marking errors.. Can't really be penalised for anything else since I cut everything correctly. Was looking for 25%.. Really hoping Ill get 22/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

As long as the joints fit some sort of way and it isn't a botched job, then you will get a fair enough marks, obviously not top marks though! I'm not 100% sure on the actual piece, only seen the drawings very briefly, so I can't really comment. Look, the practical is over now, there's nothing that can be done about it at this stage. Also the projects are handed up. A potential of 50% of the marks are obtained. Spend ye're last few weeks focusing on the written exam!

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »

That is the link to last years marking scheme the last few pages show the marking scheme for the practical exam.
    It is similar to this years exam to give you an idea of where the marks go

According to this we get serious amount of marks for just marking out? and do we get the full marks for making the joints even if there a bit dodgy? :O

Overall I think it was much harder than the last year exam. Marking out was very tricky and confusing, I bet most people who made something wrong, it was the left bottom joint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

According to this we get serious amount of marks for just marking out?

Yeah we get 8% for marking out according to my teacher. 9% for cutting and joints and the rest for fitting it all together.

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    Yeah we get 8% for marking out according to my teacher. 9% for cutting and joints and the rest for fitting it all together.

Do you mean 8% as in 8% out of the 25%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't even do construction but that's definitely what he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Some of the marking out confused the hell outta me, especially piece C I think it was with the stupid dovetail that connected into piece E. Couldn't figure it out for ages until I said Id just mark where I thought it should go and went from there, left it too long though and was rushing by the end to get all the joints cut out and the edges planed. :( didn't get it assembled or some joints chiseled out, really disappointed with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Yeah

Advertisement