Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Scammed" by Western Union

Options
  • 09-05-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Scammed by Western Union
    My wife used Western Union to send a substantial amount of money to me in Germany. She used 'An Post' and handed over the cash, plus a fee of 80 odd Euro. She was assured that the money could only be collected by me, on producing my passport at one of their office's in Germany. She was also told that she could not limit the withdrawal to a particular City in Germany. Surprise surprise, the money was taken within five hours from some little town I never heard of in central Germany.
    On complaining loudly we were informed that 'An Post' has no responsibility - they are only agents [but they accepted the fee!].
    The person who collected my money had proper ID. - we were not told what kind of ID.
    The person who collected my money had knowledge of the amount and the number from my wifes receipt [issued by An Post]. No comeback and as far as Western Union are concerned , the matter is closed.
    All of which is ludicrous !! , or an insider working with an outsider , and a tram ticket for ID.
    . Just to say use Western Union at your peril. Scam artists and three card tricksters all. And how An Post can stand over representing these thugs is getting the better of me. No fool like an old fool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm not sure what you feel An Post have done wrong? They accepted the payment and processed it. The fault lies somewhere post that event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

How did your wife tell you about the transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Old Fool

My wife handed me the slip. Saved me carrying the money. I don't doubt the fraud happened in Germany.
    How did the 'unknown' make ID ,so fast and what kind of scrutiny is there when collecting money ?
    My first and last experience with Western Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Now I don't want to question why you felt it was prudent to use western union to send a large amount of money to Germany rather than taking it with you. It's kind of strange that you are in Ireland while your wife does the transfer, she than gives you the slip and you travel to Germany to take the money there from a WU location.

In any case, sorry to hear that you have problems, my advise would be to contact the Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht (BaFin) which is the supervising authority for any western union partner in Germany, their webpage is here.

In Germany to collect Western Union you need to fill out a form that includes name/address of sender, Transfer Number and a government issued ID (Passport, ID Card, driver license is not enough) so who ever paid it out will have a copy of those documents especially as looking at the fee you paid a rather larger amount. That is because the AWB is requiring WU to keep track of larger amounts of transfer (even if only over 12500€ you have to report it, WU still needs to track larger amounts for the government).

In addition you can contact the Gardai who will be able to go to the German Police and Staatsanwaltschaft who take this kind of fraud very seriously and can start investigating. Alternatively you can contact the Staatsanwaltschaft (something like our DPP but with way better powers) directly.

I'm sure either the BAFIN or the Staatsanwaltschaft will be happy to help you.

Thanks for your help Dub-Tex.
    My wife did the transfer because you cannot send to yourself, I think.
    I will start with the German supervisors [website]. Thanks again. I will keep you informed.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Contact the police etc. However, something else to try is to make a data protection request to WU for any documents "you" filled out to collect the money as well as any copies of IDs taken at the point of collection.

Also ask for all other data they control or process about you.

Also once you have the location of the collection make a data access request to them for all CCTV footage around the time the money was collected that shows you.

Also ask for all other data they control or process about you.

What ever you hear back will at least be useful for the police.

Very helpful. Will try. See what obstacles they put in front of me. They don't like answering when their is a problem.
    Another interesting/annoying fact - since I posted on here , Western Union ads are all over the page. Cookies in action I presume, [and not some perverse employee of WU winding me up]. -It would make for a great comedy script !

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Old Fool wrote: »
    Very helpful. Will try. See what obstacles they put in front of me. They don't like answering when their is a problem.
    Another interesting/annoying fact - since I posted on here , Western Union ads are all over the page. Cookies in action I presume, [and not some perverse employee of WU winding me up]. -It would make for a great comedy script !

They have a set time to respond under the legislation.

Advertisement