Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to open a bank account without proof of address or tax form

Options
  • 09-05-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking to open a bank account.The problem is i have no bill in my name to prove my address.I went to the tax office and since i have been unemployed for four years i couldn't receive a tax form(which the bank said would be sufficient instead of a bill)I was wondering does anyone know of any other way i can open a bank account?
    thank you in advance

Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Get the Department of Social Protection to send you something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭martin123123

Thanks BuffyBot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

are you on the electoral register?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you have an Irish driving licence you could use that as proof of address (you'd have to use passport for proof of ID though, can't use the same document for both AFAIK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Toots* wrote: »
    If you have an Irish driving licence you could use that as proof of address (you'd have to use passport for proof of ID though, can't use the same document for both AFAIK)

I don't think licence is accepted for address? usually they look for something from the last 3/6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

dobsdave wrote: »
    I don't think licence is accepted for address? usually they look for something from the last 3/6 months.

Driving licence is acceptable as address verification once it hasn't been used to verify identity. A utility bill (not a mobile phone) or bank statement for the last six months is also acceptable. So is a printout from the electoral register [bank can do that themselves if you tell them where to look]. The rules may vary slightly from bank to bank but not by much.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    are you on the electoral register?

mmmm i'm not to sure, i will look into it,thanks

I have a letter from the department of social protection but the bank will not accept it as proof of address,i don't have a driving licence,i,m not on the electoral register either,seems its impossible for me to open a bank account as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Which bank is it?

Documents from the Department of Social Protection normally suffice as proof of address/PPS.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Which bank is it?

Documents from the Department of Social Protection normally suffice as proof of address/PPS.

Ulster bank would not accept it.Bank of Ireland have done,thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement