Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 18: Gluten Free Carrot Cake

• 09-05-2014 9:16pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

So, I think we all have a friend/family member who is coeliac or know someone somewhere who is? I have 5 friends that are diagnosed coeliac or have chosen to be gluten free. I love baking and i always want them to have something sweet after dinner that is not pavlova :) it's taken a good few shots to get it, but all my gluten free-ers love this carrot cake... Even the non coeliacs enjoy a slice!! :)

Ingredients:
    3 tbsp chopped nuts
    2 grated medium carrots
    100g sultanas
    150g brown sugar
    110ml sunflower oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    210g ground almond
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1tsp bread soda

5qNT6k.jpg

Method:
    Line a 2 lb loaf tin and preheat your oven to 160c (my oven is a fan oven so adjust accordingly).

Firstly, mix your almond, eggs, bread soda and oil.

6kfKuj.jpg

Then add in the nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Have a taste here as you might want more of those 3. I usually add in an extra spoon of cinnamon here :o

Add in your sugar, sultanas, nuts and carrot. Give it a really good mix then and make sure to get all the almond from the bottom of the bowl mixed up.

6i7Emv.jpg

Transfer to your tin and bake for 1hr 15mins or until a skewer comes away clean.

Now, this cake is delicious with some icing So I usually make a cinnamon icing (:o) which is easy enough

For the icing:
    100g icing sugar
    40g butter
    1 tsp cinnamon (or 1tsp vanilla if you don't want cinnamon icing - who doesn't? :))mix this together in a bowl with a fork.

When the cake is cool, tip the icing on top and sprinkle with some more chopped nuts

6ZVwNZ.jpg

And of course it goes amazingly well with a cup a tae :D

78fRkK.jpg

Hope you enjoy it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That looks amazing ChewChew! I bake a good bit for work colleagues but my manager is coeliac so she can never have any! Must make this soon so she can enjoy some cake also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh, one for the Mother-in - law.

Actually, any chance you would make her one?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Oh, one for the Mother-in - law.

Actually, any chance you would make her one?

I'm sure I've made her one before... :p I might consider dropping another into her :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A fellow cinnamon fanatic, I see :D. I'd love to make this, but my fiancé hates cinnamon (the big weirdo) so I'll have to wait for the right opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

An adorable post from start to finish. ;) I'm really looking forward to making this. Looks great. Thanks ChewChew.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Just have this out of the oven now.. it's delicious, thanks for the recipe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Mmn, sounds like I'll have to try this. Would be nicer is it was made for me though :D

Not sure how I'll sell a vegetable cake to the OH!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'll swap ya one for a few roasties ;) and I'm sure he will just love it :D

Advertisement