Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest Firefox now similar to Chrome

Options
  • 09-05-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Read this in the gadget page in the Star today. Does anyone know if it now has its own inbuilt video or kinda flash player like chrome has.

I got sick of the Flashplayer plugin for FF always bloody crashing, more often down than up:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Read this in the gadget page in the Star today. Does anyone know if it now has its own inbuilt video or kinda flash player like chrome has.

I got sick of the Flashplayer plugin for FF always bloody crashing, more often down than up:mad:

It does look remarkably like Chrome to be fair. The only thing you might notice to tell them apart is that Firefox still has the drop down search box beside the URL bar.

No bundled Flash player though, and there never will be unless Adobe decides to open source it. HTML5 is (slowly) taking the place of Flash anyway, so hopefully soon enough we won't need to worry about it anymore.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I prefer the older version. I think it was to match with Thunderbird so that they would be identical?

Mozilla-Thunderbird_1.png

and

image-mainWindow.png

Keep in mind that Google Chrome is based on Chromium (an open source browser and OS) and is not Google's own copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

Mr. G wrote: »
    I prefer the older version.

Their's an add on to put it back the way it was, lol.

Im on phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Hate it, hate it, hate it. I've moved back to the long term release.

Whats to hate???

I dont even notice it now, what was the old one even like i cant remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Bad news I suppose for people such as myself who don't like the look and feel of Chrome. First Opera, now this...

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-make-new-firefox-look-like-old-firefox

It wipes your profile i read.

Having played around with it it isn't that bad. The older one is 100% nicer but if it means I will lose my profile (bookmarks etc) I'll leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Having played around with it it isn't that bad. The older one is 100% nicer but if it means I will lose my profile (bookmarks etc) I'll leave it.

By profile it means the localstore.rdf file, which just stores toolbar and button placement. Everything else will be preserved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hate it as well. They also don't allow you to move the menu option to the left side of the window as it always was with firefox. There is also no quick way to clear cache/private data. One must go trawling through the settings now to get to it. In fact pretty much everything I hated with Chrome mozilla has copied :( .

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Hate it as well. They also don't allow you to move the menu option to the left side of the window as it always was with firefox. There is also no quick way to clear cache/private data. One must go trawling through the settings now to get to it. In fact pretty much everything I hated with Chrome mozilla has copied :( .

Nick
    For cache/ P Data You just click the 3 bars at the top right (I can't post pics) then options and you're in....or if you've the menu bar visible then tools then options and you're in.

Was it ever handier??

whats the menu option?

If you want to test something using a Private Window as cache would be cleared in that window :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For cache/ P Data You just click the 3 bars at the top right (I can't post pics) then options and you're in....or if you've the menu bar visible then tools then options and you're in.

Was it ever handier??

whats the menu option?
    You must go into Menu->Options>Privacy>Clear Private data. Previously there was a standalone option in the menu.
    Fwiw this is not a feature I use often, although some people have asked how to do it, took me a while to find it in the new version.
    The menu button is the one with the three bars. It used to contain more features. I got used to it being on the left of the window. You can move everything around except this button it seems..
    If you want to test something using a Private Window as cache would be cleared in that window :)
    I never use it and use CCleaner to clean up everything which I find is handier. But was asked how to do it recently and it took me a good bit to locate it! There used to be a standalone button in the older 27 and below releases

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Their's an add on to put it back the way it was, lol.

Here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Here: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Yup, its in a post with instructions a few posts bak.

Advertisement