Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gig you ever went to?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭

Mine had to be QOTSA in the O2 last November, getting crushed during A Song For the Dead was some craic :D

Yours? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Tie between Daft Punk at Oxegen - probably the most exhausted I've ever been after a gig, absolutely nonstop for the whole set, and one of the best encores ever devised (Human After All/Prime Time of Your Life/Together/Music Sounds Better With You/One More Time all mixed into one) - and Watch The Throne at the O2 in 2012. Incredible set, so much packed into it, and again an immense encore in the form of 4 performances of N*ggas in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mine is mainly from some sets at Electric Picnic, LCD Sound System 2005, Iggy Pop & the Stooges 2007 and Fever Ray 2010 in joint place with Aphex Twin at RockNess 2010.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Tie between Leonard cohen and take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it was so good I can't remember ;)

dunno, could be my first, Guns N' Roses @ Slane for nostalgic reasons. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Kacey Musgraves last year in October in Whelans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

For me it has to be Roger Waters in the Aviva.....I don't think it will ever be topped!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

A list...

Sultans of Ping, ??? In Sligo, 91
    Pavement, Rock Garden ca. 93 (legendary stuff)
    Beastie Boys, RDS, ca 95
    Nick Cave, Liss Ard, 98
    Primal Scream (with Kevin Shields!), 01
    Chemical Brothers @ EP, 11
    Day 1 @ Primavera, 13 (Tame Impala/Killer Mike/grizzly bear/dino jr/phoenix/animal collective)
    David Byrne & St. Vincent @ EP, 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Hotale.com wrote: »
    QOTSA in the O2 last November

Been going to gigs in Dublin since about '93 and that was definitely up with the best I've been at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Smashing Pumpkins in .. Vicar St I think 94/95 maybe.

GnR at Slane was my first gig that was mad too.

Engine Alley in Galway in 93/94 was a standout as well. Hot drummer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Another vote for Watch the Throne in the 02 here. It's the barometer for arena shows in my eyes now. The set design, light show everything.

That's even before you talk about the performances, 2 and half hours in the company of two of the worlds biggest stars playing a 40+ song set list. I''ve said it before but I think I'll be boring my grand kids with stories of how I seen Jay-Z and Kanye West share a stage the way some do now about seeing the Beatles or the Stones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Too many to choose from

Muse in the old Temple Bar Music Centre (Button Factory) May 2000
    Muse in the Olympia with JJ72 October 2000
    Placebo/Idlewild in the Olympia December 2000
    Manic Street Preachers Journal for Plague Lovers tour Olympia June 2009
    Happy Mondays Witnness 2000
    The Vines Ambassador May 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Stardust in Artane end of 78. The Greedy Bastards, made up of parts of Thin Lizzy and the Sex Pistols. The support act were U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Nick Cave at Oxegen - Shane MacGowen came on and sang Lucy with him for the Encore
    Flaming Lips at Oxegen the year White Stripes dropped out. I only went for the weekend to see the White Strips and decided to hang around when they announced they would not be playing - Im really glad I did their performance was unexpectedly brilliant.
    Radiohead on their Hail to the Theif tour - some great live songs and they played creep on the second night!

Honourable mention to the Pet shop boys - a band I would have zero interest in, saw them in Oxegen to get out of the rain and they did put on a really good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

The Pixies, Phoenix Park. Honestly never thought I'd get to see them live.
    The Prodigy. Feile, many many moons ago! Serious live act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭smallgarden

[QUOTE=Icaras;90320491
    Flaming Lips at Oxegen the year White Stripes dropped out. I only went for the weekend to see the White Strips and decided to hang around when they announced they would not be playing - Im really glad I did their performance was unexpectedly brilliant. .[/QUOTE]

This was the best performance by someone I've never heard of, the gig at oxegen or possibly witness at the time was phenomenal! I didn't know a single song, still don't and was thoroughly entertained

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Top Three:

Springsteen, Slane 1985
    David Bowie, Olympia Theatre 1997
    George Michael. The O2 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Possibly Ash at the London Astoria, 1997. Night 3 of a 5 night set.

One big mosh pit, played most of 1977, and a few from Trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Ash in galway 2004 during their meltdown tour, fainted by the last song due to dehydration, the moshing was too much for me, epic gig tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Massive contender from last night -Michael Franti in Whelans. Arrived to queue up and he was outside busking and chatting and getting photos with fans. Set the tone for the night. Unreal performance and was down dancing and singing in the crowd almost as much as he was on stage. I think he hugged or shook hands or high fived pretty much everyone in the venue.

At end of gig his guitarist did a dj set and he was just out partying with us all. Loads of fans on stage partying with him and the band, myself included. Beautiful man, beautiful music and a beautiful atmosphere of love in the room. Will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Led Zeppelin, stadium 1971, awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Two Metallica gigs(both in the Point), in 92 & 96. Insane gigs......especially '96 during the Load album tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The first time I saw Duran Duran (though I was 33 at the time) - I actually cried: my first music love ever.

Both times that I saw Sigur Ros live, what an experience it is to see the Icelanders live.
    And all 4 times that I've seen Simple Minds. One of the best live bands ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

InReality wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins in .. Vicar St I think 94/95 maybe.

GnR at Slane was my first gig that was mad too.

Engine Alley in Galway in 93/94 was a standout as well. Hot drummer :)

Vicar Street opened in September '98?

Anyway, off the top of my head, St. Vincent in the Olympia earlier this year. Wow!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Die Antwoord - the academy

serious tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Metallica wih Danzig supporting in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in 1988.

Bowie in Glastonbury in 2000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

The Stunning in the savoy in Cork about 15 years ago. Stone cold sober too :pac:

Advertisement