Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gig you ever went to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

1) Carnivore - Wacken, Germany 2006
    2) Guns N'Roses - Mannheim, Germany 1991
    3) Type O Negative - Bremen, Germany 1994

These were the three that gave me goosebumps, because it was so awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Metallica wih Danzig supporting in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire in 1988.

^^
    This. Also Manu Chao in the point in 2002. He'd originally been booked for whelans! The first page and plant show. AC/DC ballbreaker tour in the O2. Fleetwood Mac last year. Rory Gallagher on college green. Free concert as part of the Guinness blues festival in 1992. Fugazi in McGonagles in 1989. Ozzy in the same venue in 1991. While he was still Ozzy, before he turned into 'Ozzy'.

Loads more, but those stand out in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Very good question, been to so many gigs and they were all special in their own way but Leonard Cohen at Kilmainham (2012) was the biggest stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been to literally hundreds of gigs since the mid 80's, so will whittle it down to the best of them

Metallica - 100 Club, London, August 1987 - A secret warm up show for their Donington appearance 2 days later, mental mental gig

Donington 1988 - Iron Maiden, Kiss, Dave Lee Roth, G'n'R, Megadeth, Helloween

This was when ya really had to be a Monster of Rock to get on the bill, Maiden's first Donington appearance, G'n'R original line up, a crazy yet sad day

Metallica/Danzig - Mancheser Apollo

Donington 1991 - AC/DC, Metallica, Motley Crue, Queensryche, Black Crowes

DC, Metallica and the Crue, all on the same bill one after another!!

Nirvana - Reading 1992 Throughout the whole day we were hearing that they'd pulled out, then they played a set that just blew the crap outta the place

Foo Fighters - Reading 1995 They headlined the second stage, they could have headlined the main stage, pandemonium inside that sweat box

Sepultura - Manchester Apollo 1996, Think this was the last but one gig with Max, pit was INSANE

Black Sabbath - Reunion Birmingham 1997 Managed to buy 2 front row seats on first day of sale, amazing gig seeing all 4 of them

Rammstein - O2 Dublin 2012 Fifth time seeing them and each time has been amazing but this one edged it

So many great gigs i've had to leave out, could have been here all day

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Leonard Cohen in Lissadell 2010 is my all time favourite and could list any of his other concerts I've attended as close seconds!

Other gigs that stand out include Paul McCartney in the 02 2009, U2 in Slane 2001, Bruce Springsteen RDS 2012, Simon & Garfunkel 2004 just to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Killswitch Engage, 36 crazyfists, Five point 0 in the limelight in Belfast 2002
    Amen 2001
    Metallica 2003 - RDS
    Witness 2003
    Qotsa 2007 in the Ulster Hall in Belfast
    Electric Picnic 2009-Standout had to be Orbital
    Orbital in the Tripod-2009
    The Prodigy-2009 st the o2
    Rage against the machine-2010
    Qotsa 2011 in the Olympia-Probably my favourite of all time.
    Electric Picnic 2011- Chemical bros stood out for definite.
    Electric picnic 2013-Disclosure and Ben Klock, what a weekend.
    Qotsa 2013- Probably a close second

All amazing with great memories. I remember coming out with my entire ribs bruised after Amen, it was my first Punk/Heavy met gig and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Jeez thanks for the nostalgia trip OP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Killswitch Engage, 36 crazyfists, Five point 0 in the limelight in Belfast 2002
    Amen 2001
    Metallica 2003 - RDS
    Witness 2003
    Qotsa 2007 in the Ulster Hall in Belfast
    Electric Picnic 2009-Standout had to be Orbital
    Orbital in the Tripod-2009
    The Prodigy-2009 st the o2
    Rage against the machine-2010
    Qotsa 2011 in the Olympia-Probably my favourite of all time.
    Electric Picnic 2011- Chemical bros stood out for definite.
    Electric picnic 2013-Disclosure and Ben Klock, what a weekend.
    Qotsa 2013- Probably a close second

All amazing with great memories. I remember coming out with my entire ribs bruised after Amen, it was my first Punk/Heavy met gig and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Jeez thanks for the nostalgia trip OP. :(

Your youth has abandoned you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I wouldn't know where to start in naming a favourite gig of all time.. different gigs were special for me for different reasons, and I couldn't possibly select one as being the best.

Some memorable ones that jump out at me right now..

U2 in Croke Park 1987 - my first ever gig - the Pogues & Lou Reed supporting!

Feile 91 - my first ever festival- The La's and the Happy Mondays stand out, but so does the war of the turnips in the campsite..

James Brown in the point in 92 (I shook his hand :) )

Beastie Boys - the RDS - 95

Bjork and Underworld in the Point in 96 - what a night - must've lost a stone!

Radiohead in Galway in 96

The Doors (with Ian Astbury singing) in the Point in 2004.. if I was really pushed, this might be the one I'd choose actually..

Primal Scream - Screamadelica - saw the show 3 times that year

Spiritualized in the NCH last year - absolutely mind-blowing

- the Feiles, U2 Popmart, Electric Picnics, Body & Souls, James in the National stadium and in the Academy, the Charlatans in Manchester, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Neil Young, Arcade Fire plus a million more - the small bands in pubs and the stadium gigs, the traditional sessions and the techno DJs - the best days and nights of my life..

Please God let me never go deaf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Your youth has abandoned you.

Indeed :D.

I do need to go to more gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Muse at the Olympia in 2004. Was my first gig so I didn't know what to expect, was blown away. They were at their peak back then so it was an amazing set list.

QOTSA at Oxegen in 2005. Was right at the front, it was crazy. Remember they opened with Go With The Flow and everyone giving it socks.

• Advertisement

If anyone here was at RHCP in Slane in 2002 and thought it was bad needs a slap. Pity I was only 6 when it was on, looks amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Prince in malahide castle couple of years ago, he was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hotale.com wrote: »
    If anyone here was at RHCP in Slane in 2002 and thought it was bad needs a slap. Pity I was only 6 when it was on, looks amazing :pac:

RHCP in the SFX were stunning on the BSSM tour. They've been entirely lost in any venue bigger than that that I've seen them in. I missed Slane, but if Croker last year was anything to go by...

endacl wrote: »
    RHCP in the SFX were stunning on the BSSM tour. They've been entirely lost in any venue bigger than that that I've seen them in. I missed Slane, but if Croker last year was anything to go by...

They're nothing without John Frusciante. I know people try to say Josh made a good replacement, and I agree to an extent, but he's no Froosh.

Although I am a bit of a Frusciante fanboy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Tom Waits in Minneapolis August 1999 Mule Variations tour was standout for me. After that Daniel Lanois Olympia Theatre Acadie tour 1990 (i think), also Mary Margaret O'Hara, same venue, around the same time, and final standout would be Lou Reed, Point Theatre 1996, hardly anyone at it, but Lou gave it socks that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

MrBobbyZ wrote: »
    The Prodigy. Feile, many many moons ago! Serious live act.
    They came out running around in a rubber ball of I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Queens of the stoneage in Olympia and acdc punchestown are my favourite gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

Super furry animals played midnight at the olympia years ago and there had been a play on beforehand. The set was still on the stage when they played and it looked like they were in someones sitting room. They didnt take out the seats on the ground floor either which felt very odd but it was a fantastic gig.

foals also in the olympia this year were amazing.

Walk the moon in the academy another fantastic night that got me back into going to gigs again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

David Gilmour National Stadium March 1984, fantastic night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Some other favourites:
    White Lies at EP11
    FlamingLips at Forbidden Fruit
    Vampire Weekend at Longitude
    Rage at Oxegen
    Pendulum at Oxegen
    James Brown at Oxegen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

First few that jump to mind are:

Sigur Rós - The Olympia (Takk... Tour)

Fever Ray - Electric Picnic

Roger Waters - The Aviva (The Wall)

Kiss - The O2

RATM - The O2

QOTSA - Slane Castle supporting RHCP

Pixies - Phoenix park supporting RHCP

Killswitch Engage - Temple Bar Music Centre

Square pusher - Button Factory

Slipknot - Belfast (Iowa tour)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

My all time favourite gig, RATM 96. The biggest scariest mosh pit ive ever witnessed but oh so worth sleeping in a car park for.

In second place, these two nights in a freezing cold Blackpool. Never forget how much i thought the floor, that was actually bending up and down, was going to collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

So many to choose from... I'm excluding the countless festivals, otherwise the list would be too ling!

Muse- O2 Dublin, 2012- Amazing show, really thought they couldn't surprise me any more as I've seen them so many times, but it was incredible!

Radiohead- Marley Park 2006 - they played all their classics

Muse- Marley Park, 2006- first time I ever say them live in their own gig. (wish I was into them back in 2000!)

Foo fighters- Milton Keynes 2011

The Verve- Slane Castle 1998 (they weren't great live, but it was my first ever gig.)

Rodger Waters - Aviva 2013 (not a massive fan, but what a show!)

Rolling stones- Glastonbury 2013 (WOW!)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Sheog wrote: »
    Radiohead- Marley Park 2006 - they played all their classics

Did they? I remember they played a very Kid A on-wards set. thats not to say I didnt enjoyed it I really did, it was excellent. But they didnt play all their classics. just some.

heres the playlist.
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2006/marlay-park-dublin-ireland-6bd6f22a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

So many to pick from

QOTSA in the O2 back in November (preferred it to the olympia gig cause we were right at the front, instead of being stuck in nosebleed seats!)

Metallica - hard to choose between Wembley 2007 and Marlay Park 2009. Both amazing gigs!

Green Day Brixton Academy 2013 - fantastic show, Dookie in full. Unreal gig

Many many morecome to mind but those are the first to come to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Daft Punk in Marlay Park in 2006 was special! That disco pyramid tour was incredible.

Jack Johnson with the missus in Sydney in 2008 was such a great day out too.

LCD Sound System at Electric Picnic in 2009/10 was brilliant too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There is nothing close to seeing SLF live!

Having said that, I've seen lots of great bands...
    U2 & BB King in the point... Therapy? at Donnigton... Just saw Petshop Boys on the Palm in Dubai & was surprised by the quality of their show... Metallica used to put on great shows... In fact any Therapy gig is close to SLF for no. 1 spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

The Australian Doors - Midnight at the Olympia - It came damn close to the real experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Daft Punk in Marlay Park in 2007 was special! That disco pyramid tour was incredible.
    2006. 2007 they were at Oxegen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

BadTurtle wrote: »
    2006. 2007 they were at Oxegen.

Ah yes that would be correct, especially as i was in Australia in 07 so would have been difficult to have got to Marlay Park :pac:

Advertisement