Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gig you ever went to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yeah.

Lucky. I only started listening to QOTSA about 2 years ago, were you at the O2 in November when they came? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Ask me 10 times and I'll give ya ten answers, but some of them

Green day (academy 04)
    Metallica (rds 04)
    Velvet revolver (point 05)
    Qotsa (oxegen 05)
    Foo fighters (point 05)
    Gaslight, Frank turner, billy joel, Springsteen, McCartney, ac/dc.

Honestly, if you have one answer, you're doing gigs wrong.

S!@t I forgot VR in the Point!!!! Mental, mental gig!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Roger Waters the Wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Two Metallica gigs(both in the Point), in 92 & 96. Insane gigs......especially '96 during the Load album tour.

Ha the '96 one was my first gig ever I think! Locked on 3 cans of Bud and dripping sweat by the end of it. Don't think it's been topped, though Roger Waters in the O2 came very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

QotsA in the O2 last November is my pick.

The perfect mix of a band on top of their game and a crowd who weren't there to have a chat and take selfies.

Edit: I do not endorse or promote the word "selfie".It is a plague on the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Lucky. I only started listening to QOTSA about 2 years ago, were you at the O2 in November when they came? :P

I certainly was. It was a great show but the Olympia just had something special about it. Venue size certainly helped I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

lertsnim wrote: »
    I certainly was. It was a great show but the Olympia just had something special about it. Venue size certainly helped I suppose.

It was definitely the atmosphere. I remember Josh looked blown away by the reaction they were getting. It was a pretty special gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Metallica in the point in96
    Set fire to at least 1 roadie for my entertainment...

U2 in Páirc Uí Caoimh in the late 80s

Rem in the Olympia, playing songs they were recording for a new album , and old songs from Fables

Evan Dando in Whelans
    Ben Kweller supported, and he was amazing, but Evan was amazinger!

Pearl jam in the point in 2000 is my top gig of all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

it's all about the mood you're in at a gig. i was at that QOTSA gig in o2 in november and didn't think much of it as I was kinda beat after a hard weekend. plus i was stuck down the back surrounded by cnunts taking selfies.

i was at pharcyde the previous friday when i was fresh and it was unreal.

favourite gig is still watch the throne in the o2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Evan Dando in Whelans
    Ben Kweller supported, and he was amazing, but Evan was amazinger!

Ben Lee too! Was at that gig, and thought Ben Kweller made it his own - Evan Dando was good, but Kweller (who's stuff I wasn't that familiar with) was a revelation. Great gig all the same.

Saw Dando at Glastonbury last year and he wasn't a patch on this gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Metallica 92 at the point
    GnR 92 at Slane, everybody within a mile of the stage was manky drunk! :D
    VR at the Ambassador in 08 i think it was
    RATM at the point a few years back - whole place was bouncing
    Rammstein at the point in 2012 - my ears are still ringing!

Like a poster above said - ask me tomorrow and i'll have a few different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Orbital at Oxegen 2004, one of their final gigs prior to breaking up, out of this world. They've re-formed since, but they played like it was gonna be the last time ever that night.

Stevie Wonder at Glastonbury 2010. Protested missing Orbital funnily enough but the gang all insisted we go to Stevie together. Unbelievable performance, maybe my favourite of all time.

Daft Punk at Oxegen 2007. Mentioned a good few times on here and with good reason. From the moment that pyramid spaceship stage powered up to the mind mashing finale, they blew everyone in attendance away.

Laurent Garnier at EP 2010
    The heavens opened and flooded the Sunday night of EP 2010. This led to a poor turn-out for Massive Attack's closing show on the main stage as everyone ran off looking for an indoor alternative. It meant getting into a tent after the rain started was nearly impossible, but those who'd made their way to the dance tent prior to that for 808 State were treated to an amazing 3 hour set with full brass accompaniment from the legendary French DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

obriendj wrote: »
    Did they? I remember they played a very Kid A on-wards set. thats not to say I didnt enjoyed it I really did, it was excellent. But they didnt play all their classics. just some.

Oops... I was probably exaggerating a tiny bit, being all nostalgic! I saw them again a few years later in Malahide Castle and that would have to go down as one of the most disappointing gigs ever, sound was rubbish and they mostly played their new stuff from in Rainbows if I remember correctly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

So many, dunno where to begin.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood; the first time they played the RDS (March 84) still stands out.

Depeche Mode, same venue, 2 years later.

Faith No More, The Point, early 90s

Sparks about 10 years back at the Royal Festival Hall. They did the entire Kimono My House LP and Lil' Beethoven.

Carolina Chocolate Drops at the Union Chapel, Islington. Fantastic venue.

Jane's Addiction at Koko, Camden about 2 years back. Pretty darn good.

Laura Mvula, last year. Can't remember the venue it was probably Shepperd's Bush Empire.

Half Man Half Biscuit, Shepperd's Bush Empire a month or so back

De La Soul at the same venues 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Bruce Springsteen in the RDS in 2012 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DUBACC wrote: »
    Metallica 92 at the point
    GnR 92 at Slane, everybody within a mile of the stage was manky drunk! :D
    VR at the Ambassador in 08 i think it was
    RATM at the point a few years back - whole place was bouncing
    Rammstein at the point in 2012 - my ears are still ringing!

Like a poster above said - ask me tomorrow and i'll have a few different!

IIRC VR were in the middle of a break up then?? Hated that gig, and the venue sucked as well! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

VR in the Ambassador was awesome. I was able to stand at the corner of the bar & was still only a few feet from the stage. Slash and Duff had huge stage presence and look over the lead from Wieland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

QotsA in the O2 last November is my pick.

The perfect mix of a band on top of their game and a crowd who weren't there to have a chat and take selfies.

They were plenty of people doing just that. Still a fantastic gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Led Zeppelin in the O2 London, 2007. A legendary evening to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Faith No More in the Olympia 2009
    Radiohead in South Park 2001
    Sigur Ros in Temple Theatre 2001 (various other shows are a close second, especially the one I saw in Lyon, France in 2003)
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor in Paris 2003 (they played the entirety of Moya as the encore, really powerful show)
    Weezer in Glasgow 2004 (can't remember exact date, back when they were still ok, was great to see them after following them for 10+ years)
    Yo La Tengo performs Sounds of Science at Sonar 2002 (Yo La Tengo soundtrack to films about marine life)
    Beastie Boys 2nd show at Electric Picnic 2007 (the first show was great but I thought the second show was very special, smaller crowd and they seemed more relaxed. Really glad I got to see them before MCA passed away)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Nofx in the Mean Fiddler way back when

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Hard to pick a best.. If pushed probably the hives in the ambassador. That was something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Faith No More in the Olympia 2009
    Radiohead in South Park 2001
    Sigur Ros in Temple Theatre 2001 (various other shows are a close second, especially the one I saw in Lyon, France in 2003)
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor in Paris 2003 (they played the entirety of Moya as the encore, really powerful show)
    Weezer in Glasgow 2004 (can't remember exact date, back when they were still ok, was great to see them after following them for 10+ years)
    Yo La Tengo performs Sounds of Science at Sonar 2002 (Yo La Tengo soundtrack to films about marine life)
    Beastie Boys 2nd show at Electric Picnic 2007 (the first show was great but I thought the second show was very special, smaller crowd and they seemed more relaxed. Really glad I got to see them before MCA passed away)

That Sigur Ros gig was incredible

Such a shame the Temple Theatre wasn't used more.

A natural amphitheatre

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭padders67

Nirvana - Zenith theatre Paris 94 .

turned out to be their second last gig - we only went over cos all the London gigs had sold out in seconds

Muse glastonbury 2004

Waterboys Kilburn national 89

REM hammersmith odeon 89

all Springsteen gigs In have been to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Danonino. wrote: »
    Hard to pick a best.. If pushed probably the hives in the ambassador. That was something special.

Was at that myself, wasn't it in 2004. Brilliant gig and the band were on top form plus they were everything from the best albums. I always thought The Ambassador was really underrated, saw my worst gig their too in 2003 with the Vines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

This thread has made me remember gigs I completely forgot I went to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Michael Jackson in the RDS

Daft Punk at Oxegen

Jeff Mangum at Vicar St

Elton John on the Isle of Wight

Neil Young at Glastonbury

And a multitude of Arcade Fire gigs, Rock en Seine 2005, Olympia Dublin 2007, Berlin Columbiahalle 2007, Paris Pavillion Baltard 2013...being the best off the top of the head

Hard to pick an outright best as there's been top gigs that have been great for completely different reasons! But if push comes to shove I'd pick one of the Arcade Fire gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Rancid in the Olympia 2003

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

The Frames -2006 Live at the Marquee. I was 16 and it was the first proper gig i was at with all my mates. It was brilliant.

Flaming Lips - 2007 Live at the Marquee. Was dragged to this by a friend of mine who was a big fan of theirs. I knew hardly any of their songs but it was magical, enchanting, crazy and incredible

AC/DC Punchestown. Cant remember if it was 08 or 09. Epic gig. Was in the 2nd row and couldnt hear properly for about a week after!!!

The Natonal in the Olympia 2010. It was the time of the bad snow and ice and there were rumours the gig might be cancelled but Matt and the boys made it and played a stormer

Vampire Weekend at Longitude last year. Don't think i ever danced so much at a gig as this

Advertisement