Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age did you start?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

What age did you guys start studying? Thinking of getting into it as I just passed my driving test, have access to a car and a few friends have said they would be up for driving over to Galway for a few weekends over the summer. Is 18 a bit of a late start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

no , 18 is not too old. Great age to start. Go for it, you will enjoy it. A good big foam board is good to start on. If you are looking for a surf relatively close to Dublin, Sligo would be a better call than Galway. Its just over 2 hours drive and its probably fair to say it has better surf than most of Galway. The Aran islands seen to block it etc. Or else on the west coat try Lahinch, or Achill. All those places have surf schools too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

maryishere wrote: »
    no , 18 is not too old. Great age to start. Go for it, you will enjoy it. A good big foam board is good to start on. If you are looking for a surf relatively close to Dublin, Sligo would be a better call than Galway. Its just over 2 hours drive and its probably fair to say it has better surf than most of Galway. The Aran islands seen to block it etc. Or else on the west coat try Lahinch, or Achill. All those places have surf schools too.

Thanks man, I'll give it a go once exams arw finally finished, praise jebus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I started surfing when I was 28 only last year, I always wanted to try it so I booked a lesson then another then started renting board and suit at the weekend, then bought my own board and 5mm suit,
    Definetly try it! It's cheap enough at the start for lessons and rental!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Started when I was 30. Spent 3 years surfing regularly as I was living out West at the time. Never too old to start but curious as to why you would think any age was too old to start something. Do you mean too old to start and become pro? You could start at 60 if you were in good condition and still have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

A group of us took a lesson for my fortieth - all similar age. Of that group of 10 there are still 4 of us surfing.

That was 5 years ago.

Go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement