Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping my middle name

Options
  • 09-05-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,
    Does anyone know can I drop my middle name from official documents like passports etc or do I need to go down the deed poll route? I don't want a new one I just want to remove it and my first name and surname will remain the same?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Is it as simple as not stating it on a renewal form? Im legally first name, middle name and surname on my passport and birth cert. But my Gardai ID and college ID only have my first name and surname. Even letters from Revenue dont have my middle name

But I know some people in college strangely have had their middle name put on their college IDs, but never us it in real life.

Other than having to show your passport now and again, I wouldnt sweat it about your middle name. I would just ask the bank to remove your middle name and drop it from any utilities you have. Im never asked about my middle name on my passport, which is never on anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 18 troybadoo

Thanks for your answer, I want it removed from everything, most especially my passport for personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gertrude2

I asked the Passport Office not to include my middle name and they obliged. I think there's a place on the application form. If not, just put a note with it when you submit the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 troybadoo

Gertrude2 that is music to my ears, thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Gertrude2 wrote: »
    I asked the Passport Office not to include my middle name and they obliged. I think there's a place on the application form. If not, just put a note with it when you submit the form.

+1 I accidently asked for my middle name to be included on my last passport renewal, a guy in the passport office rang me and asked if I really wanted it included as he could see it wasn't in the old passport so I thanked him, said it was a mistake and I did not want the middle name included.

So you can get it added or removed no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's a pain, isn't it? When I applied for a PPSN and Social Services card, I completed the form and gave my full name as requested on the form (Christian, middle, maiden name and surname). Lo and behold - EVERYTHING has my full name for everyone to see.

Spent ages telling people I was known by my Christian and married name only. GRRRRR :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a major pain if your official first name (i.e. the very first Christian name on your birth cert.) is not the same as the name by which people know you, anyone who works in the public service will be familiar with that situation.

Advertisement