Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for jogging with Dog

• 10-05-2014 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for jogging with your dog like what leash should I have and whatnot?

I have a Rotweiller who is lean and athletic looking and he gets a brisk walk nearly every day problem is in doesn't get much of a run. I wanted to start training him up to come jogging with me starting small and building his tolerance. The problem is he is stops a lot on walks at poles to sniff and pee. He is in a halti cause he can be a pulley at the start too. Any good training tips so he doesn't charge ahead of me? Is there a waist leash that the halti can attach to as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Karma25 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for jogging with your dog like what leash should I have and whatnot?

I have a Rotweiller who is lean and athletic looking and he gets a brisk walk nearly every day problem is in doesn't get much of a run. I wanted to start training him up to come jogging with me starting small and building his tolerance. The problem is he is stops a lot on walks at poles to sniff and pee. He is in a halti cause he can be a pulley at the start too. Any good training tips so he doesn't charge ahead of me? Is there a waist leash that the halti can attach to as well?

I run with a GSD, but he wears a light harness for running. I usually give him 10/15 minutes snuffling around/wee time before we set off ( and usually teh same at the other end of the run) I use a 6 foot leather leash, but I prefer to keep in looped in my hand for control.
    I taught him a series of commands specifically for running. Left/Right/go wide(especially useful for buggies and so on)/ stop/ leave it/forward. It makes running so much easier if your dog knows what to do. I find he doesn't pull much at all once we get going and indeed he matches my stride with a lope that is very comfortable for him. We usually take routes that have access to water along the way. Although for this time of year we run either very early morning or late in the evening as I would be conscious of him over heating (my dog finds anything over 5 degrees warm :rolleyes:)
    Best of luck, it's really great getting into a running routine with your pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

Thanks for the advice fatmammycat. Will start teaching him the commands now bring some luxury treats and some water with me. I think Il use the halti and once in a rhythm take off the muzzle part so he can run without his head jerked to the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That's a good idea, if at all possible I'd recommend getting a body harness and run with that. It's never recommended to run on a collar or head harness in case of injury.

Although if he's keeping a loose lead then I guess it doesn't really matter, just be really careful he's not choking himself on a collar or hurting his neck on the halti.

I used to jog with mine and would allow them to pull ahead a bit, it was helpful when up the mountains :) They have a walking harness and a running one, so learned very quickly which harness they were allowed to pull in.

Enjoy! It's a great way to get out and about with your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I run a lot with my boxer. I think that the training a dog has for walking will directly convert over for running.

For both walks and runs, the dog never gets to choose where to stop. No sniffing or peeing. To him, we are on serious work business and it's not to be interrupted.
    I think if you want to have an enjoyable running experience, you should do the same. It's no fun going for a run if the dog is trying to do his own thing. If he tries to sniff something say some command ('this way', 'on', 'keep going' or whatever) and when he doesn't continue on, which he won't at first, just keep running. Then, in future he should learn to move onwards on command without your pull on the lead. If you never let him stop when on the run, he'll stop trying to stop.

I used a front attachment harness at first for running and would still use it except that the dog grew out of it (I must get a new one). I just use his collar at the moment but be very careful with a collar, whether it be a halti or any other collar, as it's very easy when passing a pole for a dog to go left when you go right. My dog nailed himself around a pole once as we were running at speed, luckily while on a harness, and I don't think he enjoyed it one bit.
    I wouldn't recommend a rear attachment harness for any dog that has a tendency to pull.

Like yours, my dog tends to pull at the start of each run. We are still working on this, but I find it helps to start off running close to a wall so the dog can't squeeze by you to get in front.

I don't remember if I held the leash when we first ran, but now I loop the leash around my waist so my hands are free. It also means it's easier for me to pull him forward if he tries to stop as it happens automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP,

Just some advice on running with your dog from my experience….

I used a harness on my dog and a halti training lead, it hooks on the top of his body and clips under his collar (neck) – this gave me greater control, I can post links if you wish.
    I always run with him to the right hand side (away from the traffic) and in winter always with a visi vest for his safety. it took a few times for him to get the gist, he was a crazy sniffer, but he soon learned that there are walks for sniffing and there are runs for running and he adored both.

With regard to your dog here what I would recommend:
    1.Joint supplements – luposan (pellets) – great for the joints, follow the instructions on the tub http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129097
    2.Salmon oil – I give a tablespoon each day, it’s great for their joints, and coat. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

Personally I wouldn’t run him without starting supplements. it will save you and your dog in the long run!

Enjoy OP

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement