Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Help?

Options
  • 10-05-2014 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello! This past year I've been trying to figure out what I'd like to study and couldn't make up my mind ( from psychology to nursing to art :p ).
    I've decided I'd like to do a Visual Communications/ Creative Multimedia course, my only problem being I have never prepared a portfolio as I didn't think I'd end up studying something like this. I've been scanning different threads and posts but some seem very vague. The few courses that have caught my attention are:
    Multimedia - DCU
    Creative Digital Media - ITB
    Creative Digital Media- ITT
    Communications in Creative Media -DkIT
    Creative Multimedia - LIT
    Multimedia - CIT

Opinions seem to be pretty mixed so I'd like to be able to know more before making a decision. What are the facilities like in each? Are the lecturers good? Which seems to be the more sought after?
    I've been interested in art, digital media and design for a long time so I'd like something that would set me up to become a Graphic Designer/Illustrator.
    Is there any other course recommendations someone might have? I scored 490 in my LC so points wouldn't be a problem, just the lack of a portfolio :(

Thanks so much for help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I don't know much about any of those courses but I study Visual Communications in WIT and theres no portfolio requirement on entry. Might be worth taking a look at if you've an interest in WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eyphah

Thanks for the reply, yeah that course was one of my top choices, seemed perfect but I've heard a lot of negative things about it on the forum about facilities, quality of teaching and housing etc :( So I'm not sure what to think about it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

eyphah wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, yeah that course was one of my top choices, seemed perfect but I've heard a lot of negative things about it on the forum about facilities, quality of teaching and housing etc :( So I'm not sure what to think about it anymore

In my opinion, its pretty good. The facilities are fine, 2 Mac labs for just design students alone, might be a slight bit old but they're always being upgraded and kept going and theres rarely any major issues with them. Never had a problem with printing, maybe a few queues but thats to be expected really. Studios are your typical art studios, nothing too fancy but it does the job.

I'm only finished 1st year now so I've not had every lecturer yet but the ones that I'd have, outta 7/8 so far, I could only criticise 1 or 2 for small issues. You may have seen Ross Lee's name, he's mentioned in one of the old threads on this and he's absolutely brilliant. He knows his stuff and he'll help and explain anything you ever need to know while having a laugh with you, I couldn't rate him highly enough, he's just like one of the lads!

I live at home atm but I've been in most of the student accommodation in Waterford and its nothing special but its certainly not awful, I wouldn't think. Theres a thread on most accommodation on here somewhere. If I was to pick anywhere, I'd pick Railway Square, it wouldn't be exactly student accommodation but it looks fantastic, its literally 20 seconds away from College Street Campus (this is where Design is situated) and 2 minutes from town, Tesco, Odeon if you're a cinema goer.

Hope that clears a few things up!

Ah that definitely doesn't sound like some of the "horror stories" floating around, think I might actually consider it again because the course really does suit my interests perfectly. Thanks again for the reply, I really appreciate it!
    I'd still love to get some more opinions on the other colleges too from anyone else! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Arent there "foundation" courses out there to introduce you to the different areas of digital art so you can get an idea before starting a specialized course? They'd also give you a chance to build a portfolio.

• Advertisement

I've applied for the graphics course in BCFE hoping an interview place will become available. I think I'd be able to manage to finish off some observational drawings to add to my other ones from the L.C. I've been doing digital art for a while now, just not graphic design specifically but I think its something that I'd like to do. I know Colaiste Dhulaigh has some good courses too but if there's any more anyone knows of I'd love to know about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

The Vis Com course in LSAD (Limerick School of Art and Design) is pretty good, you'll need a portfolio and have to do well in core year to get into it thou. It's very competitive. I studied print there, it's a wonderful community to be part of, and pretty much every one of my friends who studied Vis com have a job in that field now. They also added an animation degree this year that's just ending.

I've not got a clue what the other courses or colleges are like! But, I did do a portfolio course in Colaiste Dulaigh about 6 years ago. Very decent PLC, but the area around the college is not so great. They have an add on lv 6 graphic design course afaik, which will gain you entry to Wolverhampton college in England to finish off a level 7 or 8.

Thanks for your reply! I've seen that course too but from what it says on their page the closing date was February 1st, so I missed it by far. I sent them an e-mail anyway and I'll see how it goes, thanks for advice on the PLC too, might apply to it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

eyphah wrote: »
    Hello! This past year I've been trying to figure out what I'd like to study and couldn't make up my mind ( from psychology to nursing to art :p ).
    I've decided I'd like to do a Visual Communications/ Creative Multimedia course, my only problem being I have never prepared a portfolio as I didn't think I'd end up studying something like this. I've been scanning different threads and posts but some seem very vague. The few courses that have caught my attention are:
    Multimedia - DCU
    Creative Digital Media - ITB
    Creative Digital Media- ITT
    Communications in Creative Media -DkIT
    Creative Multimedia - LIT
    Multimedia - CIT

Opinions seem to be pretty mixed so I'd like to be able to know more before making a decision. What are the facilities like in each? Are the lecturers good? Which seems to be the more sought after?
    I've been interested in art, digital media and design for a long time so I'd like something that would set me up to become a Graphic Designer/Illustrator.
    Is there any other course recommendations someone might have? I scored 490 in my LC so points wouldn't be a problem, just the lack of a portfolio :(

Thanks so much for help!

ITT Creative Digital Media and Multimedia in DCU both good courses. I have applied for both but will choose DCU as it's only 3 years and I'm in a course in ITT and it has really put me off the place. For my two cents I'd recommend DCU from my research.... but then again I haven't even begun studying there.

(Nothing against the place, but I was warned against Creative Digital Media - ITB)

Best of luck in whatever you choose/get!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladiesman217

Hi eyphah.
    I studied VIS Com at Athlone IT, I found the course good and the lectures really push you.I went in as a mature student, and had a portfolio from a previous course. Design is def the way to go, UX is really booming at the moment, and every business needs design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Anna21398

I know this thread is from last year but i was just wondering which college you ended up going to? Im stuck between dcu- multimedia and itb-creative digital media! I dont know which to out first on my cao, any help would be appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

Dcu

Advertisement