Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie feedback

Options
  • 10-05-2014 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Scrolling through, there's not an awful lot of feedback posts so I'll throw out one so.. Not opening this for a huge discussion, so if it gets too like that mod or admin could you lock it please?

I'm a fairly new member only joined back early April, I've a fair amount of posts all the same, so obviously, I enjoy the sight. I also subscribed to the website, for reasons such as thus. The site in my opinion, is well managed, full of information, and much better than websites of its type. I won't go naming any, I'm not going to slander other sites, my spidey senses say I'll be in a spot of bother for it. The moderators are fair enough, I've had infractions from one or two which I thought weren't fair, but sure what of it. It's a great place to express how you feel on a certain subject, with a dedicated forum for basically anything, (although some tend not to use them..) but they're swiftly moved to the right place, or locked all together. Very well managed, the community is 99% lovely people, naturally there's the 1% minority of internet cowboys who think they're right lads acting the clown, again they're swiftly dealt with. You can come here and have a serious discussion, or go to After Hours, or the First Class Lounge and have a bit of a laugh, no bothers. I'll be using this for many months to come, and I hope the bosses never give up on the site and shut it down... Because I will find them if they do... Ill want to know who did it, and I want to know where they live... (I'm joking!!) but seriously, lads and lasses of Boards.ie mods and admins included, thank you!

Love you even if you don't love me :3

Gray Fox (formally retrogamefan)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Depends on your view of feedback to be fair, criticism is just as valid if not more import than gushing praise. Yes its great to acknowledge that the team are doing a great job but the ability for users to express problems and have them somewhat dealt with is what will keep this place alive.

You also have to take into account that you are a relatively new member where as some folk have posted for over 10 years and contributed to making the place what it is. This site is community run and it didn't just drop out of the sky and become like this over night.

I would recommend you watch them infractions though as i have received one infraction in 10 years and you have had 2 or more in a month. As an older member to a newer one let me advise that this site is great because of it volunteer and community involvement but if you become to much of a burden on these people you are praising you will find your access removed fairly fast.

So yah props to the folk that run this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I meant certain posts here aren't suggestions/feedback posts they're problems which are suited for help desk.. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't post here unless you have good things to say! Just noticed and thought I'd give my 2 cents on my expirence so far c: aye I've never actually intended to get them, or post something to warrant one, sometimes I forget certain things aren't allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cant touchthis

Jaysus...didnt know where that op was going for a sec.

Jaysus...didnt know where that op was going for a sec.

Kept you reading didn't i? That's the power I have ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The site as a whole has far too many cliques to be honest. It's pretty disgusting.
    A lot of other forums tend to have mods go unnoticed for example, whereas they're almost to be made out as celebs on boards. Not good.
    Also I've personally been ****ed around on boards with mods in the past for their own pleasure, had posts deleted and such.
    Don't get me wrong their are some great mods on boards and some great users, but it's far from perfect.

I think with the main streaming of the internet boards will slowly die to the likes of reddit. As soon as reddit get there layout sorted I can't really see boards lasting.

Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cliques are unavoidable. It's inevitable that posters will band together over time. They're not always necessarily a bad thing either. A community is generally a large clique. Just read the thread on disgust in after hours. Most people in Irish communities are appalled by people who drip their nasal fluids on the street. Yet, in other cultures putting nasal fluids on a tissue and in your pocket may be considered gross.

Personally I hate reddit and anything that give popular comments the spotlight. A key thing boards has done for me is challenge ideas while striving to maintain civility. Facebook and reddit are just full of people showing of e penises. To an extent boards is too, but the site at least tries to filter that noise. Not through showing you what you want to read but by nudging others to make their points in a civil non condescending fashion and deleting the blatant stuff (belatedly).

Lads I'm trying to impress so I can take over the site with my charm no negativity for Jesus sake you'll make me look bad!! How do I hide this post from mods & admins?? :P (joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The site as a whole has far too many cliques to be honest. It's pretty disgusting.
    A lot of other forums tend to have mods go unnoticed for example, whereas they're almost to be made out as celebs on boards. Not good.
    Also I've personally been ****ed around on boards with mods in the past for their own pleasure, had posts deleted and such.
    Don't get me wrong their are some great mods on boards and some great users, but it's far from perfect.

I think with the main streaming of the internet boards will slowly die to the likes of reddit. As soon as reddit get there layout sorted I can't really see boards lasting.

Just my 2 cents.

A site of this size and with the posting history it has there are going to be people grouping up and sticking together because of common interest, i personally fall into the gaming section.

I am not sure what to say about being treated like **** by mods but i mean if the place was so bad why keep posting? allot of these guys are volunteers after all so they do get some big credit for freely giving up their time to boards.

You will also never get perfection unless you had very rigid robots modding, humans however can give discretion, can perceive things in a certain way ect.

While i dont see reddit killing boards, i do see that it becoming mainstream will be an issue. Primarily because interest groups of one sort of the other could use it as a stealth platform for change. Luckily though there is an element of common sense in how the board is run and a fine balance is drawn on most things.

Boards has been a big part of my life for the past 10 to 11 years, i don't always post as i'm more of a reader but if it did go anywhere it would be a big shame. As much as boards is legally owned by distilled media it belongs to the community and it adds so much value to those that use it. As long as you "dont be a dick", i think you get on fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Not sure if this is the page to go to, but since it is feedback...whatever happened to the Logout button?

I am using Chrome on a shared pc and I cant find log out anywhere? I know there was something that wasnt too hard to find before.??

And in case it turns out to be very simple explanation...its monday morning...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hover over your profile name on the top right - the "Logout" option appears on the bottom of the dropdown that appears. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Just my 2 cents.

Mods aren't seen as celebs. They're generally just quite well known on the site, as a lot of them were pretty prolific posters before being given mod status.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ok fair enough I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Lads I'm trying to impress so I can take over the site with my charm no negativity for Jesus sake you'll make me look bad!! How do I hide this post from mods & admins?? :P (joking)

You can't hide anything from an Admin.

Nice shirt, btw.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You can't hide anything from an Admin.

Nice shirt, btw.

Clothes are overrated man.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure what's disgusting about cliques? In every community, people will form subgroups with those whom they share a common experience or common ground. It's natural and normal.
    For ****s and giggles, I did a search for the word "clique" on Feedback and the first result is from February 2003.

I don't see any problem with cliques. You hardly expect everyone to maintain a specific distance from everyone else to avoid becoming closer to some posters than to others?
    I say this in absolute sincerity; If you think that some mods are screwing you about and deleting your posts just to piss you off, then the admins will smack them, hard.
    Admins will defend the mods when it's clear the mod has been acting in good faith, but when they've been pricking around, they won't hesitate to remove the mod, if necessary. There's not some grand clique between all the mods and the admins. There are too many mods. The admins individually are friends with at best a small handful of mods, and even at that they have no qualms about telling their mates to cop on or banning them if necessary.
    Once you get using reddit you realise there's actually very little wrong with their layout. It doesn't seem to have impacted their terrifying growth.
    What reddit doesn't have is regionality. It's still very American with a strongly US-centric focus. Suggest, for example, that drivers should have to do ten hours of instruction before hitting the road, or that the pursuit of money isn't a worthwhile life goal, and most of the site will round on you, foaming at the mouth.

It's also virtually impervious to banter. The sarcastic and typically Irish humour you get on here often causes confusion and sometimes angry responses on reddit, because they don't get it.

Yes, reddit can do regionality, you have /r/ireland, but that's not specific enough. Boards gives a discussion of a broad range of issues from an Irish point of view, and that's why it has remained so popular, in my opinion.

Advertisement