Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to build in rural Mayo

Options
  • 10-05-2014 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello. Does anyone here have an idea how much it costs to build a house in rural Mayo? (modest 3 bed bungalow with dormers (excluding land price)

I have looked at house prices and I wonder whether it would be cheaper/better to just build
    our own home. (we are moving to Mayo soon)

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hello. Does anyone here have an idea how much it costs to build a house in rural Mayo? (modest 3 bed bungalow with dormers (excluding land price)

I have looked at house prices and I wonder whether it would be cheaper/better to just build
    our own home. (we are moving to Mayo soon)

thanks
    The 'building control legislation' makes self-building difficult. Read around that sub forum for more info.

The cost of building has risen significantly in the last ten years. I would suggest you are looking at 120 - 150 per sqft minimum for anywhere close to turn key new build, again this is an open ended question, so my advice would be read around the forum, but do take note of recent changes to legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd say looking at costs alone, that in the current climate, you'd be far better off buying than building. Can you find anything close to what you'd like, where you'd like?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

When you look at daft and see 45000 properties for sale in the country it's hard not to think buying is a better option. But when you really look at the condition, cost of doing up, heating outlay, cold & drafty comfort issues, size & layout expected for modern living, location and commute... the pot of homes does reduce significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seekingsolace

We have looked at a number of properties all along the West Coast and you are soooo right Bryan. A cheap price for a house has allure, but when costing in fixing it up, some of those we viewed would have cost twice what it would cost to build from scratch.

Building a house and setting up a business at the same time, for us, is daunting.

thank you for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We have looked at a number of properties all along the West Coast and you are soooo right Bryan. A cheap price for a house has allure, but when costing in fixing it up, some of those we viewed would have cost twice what it would cost to build from scratch.

Building a house and setting up a business at the same time, for us, is daunting.

thank you for all the replies.

How did you arrive at "twice what it would cost to build from scratch?" ?

Say a house at 45k like you say. If you add another 45k to refurbish: nope you won't build a house for 90k.

Maybe you meant 90k to refurbish on top of the purchase price of 45k, so a total of 135k. Nope, you won't build it for that either (unless you're talking very small. ...).

Tbh a reasonable house in a nice location on a nice site somewhere would be hard to beat atmo.

In a few years, when you and your business is up and running you could always. ..... bulldoze it and build anew, but on an established site you love.

I spent a lot of time up around Cong and Tourmakeady last weekend and saw some fabulous sites/half-built houses for sale. ..has to be value up there atmo. .

As the saying goes. ...land: they're not making any more of it. ..

I would suggest new build price in Mayo to be €1100/m2.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Galway tt, is that turnkey including expense of new regs? And I assume it would it be similar in rural Galway?

P

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Galway tt, is that turnkey including expense of new regs? And I assume it would it be similar in rural Galway?

P

turn-key yes, but a basic spec.

Galway is traditionally a bit higher.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im involved in a few self builds in mayo and my opinion would be that there is far better value to be had in buying right now.
    The only people building are those who need to be on the family Farm etc.
    True alot of the houses that are offered for sale cheap have issues and need money spending but If the price is right, it's an excellent opportunity to modernise and get the building up to somewhere near current energy specs.

mickdw wrote: »
    Im involved in a few self builds in mayo and my opinion would be that there is far better value to be had in buying right now.
    The only people building are those who need to be on the family Farm etc.
    True alot of the houses that are offered for sale cheap have issues and need money spending but If the price is right, it's an excellent opportunity to modernise and get the building up to somewhere near current energy specs.

or, if it's a nice site, in a good location. ...buy it for that reason - you could always build anew when you have the time etc.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement