Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Duathlon tomorrow.

Options
  • 10-05-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a local Duathlon tomorrow called the Do Run Run. This is it's 3rd year and it seems to do quite well. It's very short and to most on here probably doesn't count as a Duathlon at all.

It's 2.9km run - 17.4km bike - 2.9km run.

I'm really looking forward to it, it'll be my 1st event of any kind in a month (I did a 4mile and a few 5k runs) since injuring my calf. I'm expecting a slightly different atmosphere to normal runs.

I have this horrible feeling I'm going to finish last though, it's probably a much fitter, faster type of person that does Duathlons compare to the runs I'm used to.

I only started running in Feb and I'm still pretty slow - 4:48/km and started cycling in April, I'm really slow on a bike - 20 km/h average. Hopefully at least one slower person than me shows up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

I have this horrible feeling I'm going to finish last though, it's probably a much fitter, faster type of person that does Duathlons compare to the runs I'm used to.

not neccesarily, all shapes and makes generally, particularly if theres a big field..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Even the fastest guys would've had the same fears at one point.

We all start somewhere.

This is your start go out and enjoy yourself. Set a bench mark time and beat it next year.

Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm setting myself a target time of 1 hour 30 mins because it's very hilly. As long as I finish it without injury and don't come last I'll count it a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Don't over think it and just enjoy yourself.

There will be plenty running a lot slower than 4:48 mins/km, and plenty more will murder themselves on the bike, and you'll get to pass them on the second run.

You'll feel great at the finish, everyone has to start somewhere.

Starting to run after the bike is going to be dodgy, my legs will be all over the place.

I had my Porridge with Blueberries and Flax seeds half an hour ago, no walnuts this time I'm afraid. I had a few glasses of water too and one of those Berocca Boost things in one of them.

I haven't a notion about preparation and diet the morning if an event so maybe what I'm doing is wrong. It starts at 12:00 so all I was going to do between now and then was drink another glass or two of water but not after 10 and eat an apple or home made cereal bar around 10:00.

• Advertisement

Don't do anything different than a normal day, certainly don't stuff yourself with food or try anything new. Your body is more than capable of going for 90 minutes, even on an empty stomach.

The first duathlon I did I was terrified of the second run, but it was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined it to be. My legs felt a bit wobbly for the first few seconds but were alright once I got going. Take your time in transition, let your heart rate drop a bit and start running at a comfortable pace and if you're OK after a few minutes then you can speed up.

I think the wobbly legs are a bigger issue at the pointy end where 2/3 seconds could be enough to win or lose a race.

I'd skip the apple it will more than likely give you cramps. A banana would be the job.

As above nothing different to the norm.

You don't really need any special fueling to be honest. Enjoy yourself is the main thing.

That was by far the toughest event I've done. Duathlons are a lot harder than straight runs.

I finished it 15mins faster than my target and I finished 48/57 and I didn't get injured so I guess I can count it a success.

Well done!

At least you have an idea what to work on now, onwards and upwards.

Good work.

You'll have to put a swim before it now ;)

Logged for all to witness ;)

http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2014/05/do-run-run-duathlon-bailieborough-2014/

• Advertisement

Cheers, I don't think I'm allowed to out up Links or Photos yet. How did you know where to look?

The intention is to eventually add swimming to it but a slight fear of water is getting in the way of that.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Cheers, I don't think I'm allowed to out up Links or Photos yet. How did you know where to look?

The intention is to eventually add swimming to it but a slight fear of water is getting in the way of that.

If you're on Facebook follow triathlon Ireland they post a link to most events each weekend.

Thanks for the tip, I just "liked" it. I have another local Duathlon coming up in 3 weeks, 2.5k run, 20k bike, 2.5k run. I'll get plenty of practice done between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i was in the same boat, only started to learn in feb 2013, did tri in july ,

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

Thanks for the tip, I just "liked" it. I have another local Duathlon coming up in 3 weeks, 2.5k run, 20k bike, 2.5k run. I'll get plenty of practice done between now and then.

Is that the Knockbride Duathlon? If it is you'll find it much easier than the DoRunRun with less steep climbs. I did it last year and was a really well run event and attracts a strong field. Also did the race today, was a tough one. Well done today by the way

Yeah Knickbride, my wife is from out that way. I found the hills tough today but I'll be in much better shape for it next year. I was hopeful that there'd be less hills in the Knickbride one. I do all my running at the Castle Lake so I don't come across too many hills.

woody1 wrote: »
    i was in the same boat, only started to learn in feb 2013, did tri in july ,

I know the basics but panic a bit when it comes to breathing, I normally end up swallowing half the pool. A few private lessons this year should sort me out.

Any chance of a link to that knockbride race?

Might give it a spin myself.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to that knockbride race?

Might give it a spin myself.

I can't put up a link but it's Fri. 30th at 7:00, starts at the GAA pitch and costs €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

www facebook . com /pages/Knockbride-Duathlon/680575028676608

• Advertisement
Advertisement