Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MB or Mb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭maurv1

They should really state it as 3 Mb/sec  which is 3 Megabits per second. Sometimes you might see it written as 3 Mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

maurv1 wrote: »
    They should really state it as 3 Mb/sec  which is 3 Megabits per second. Sometimes you might see it written as 3 Mbps
    I assumed the 'per second' part. If you only got 3Mb it would be terribly expensive. It shouldn't be advertised as 3MB though if it's 3Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

not to troll but minimum on sale this decade should be 12, if not 24... 

The most my line can handle is 7 apparently, and there are no plans for fibre here. I'm not exactly in the back of the beyond either - so there is still a market for slower speed products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

well if you have a couple of years... bear in mind ESB/Vodafone are doing direct to door fibre... like UPC... unlike eircom... that will most likely make the fibre a 2 horse race... and eircom will dwindle... as they use old ancient copper wires to your door... their Achilles heel... the ESB/Vodafone plan is one to future proof for 30 years... an unreal undertaking... 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

https://www.eircom.net/broadband/productDetails?id=bu_12

Says 3MB download speed in the title and 3Mb in the text. Which is correct?
    Hi blatantrereg

They both mean the same but I would have to agree with maurv1 in post #3 on this.

Thanks
    Al

Hi blatantrereg

They both mean the same but I would have to agree with maurv1 in post #3 on this.

Thanks
    Al

Wow. No they don't. 1MB = 8 Mb

Hi blatantrereg

Thanks
    Al

Wow. No they don't. 1MB = 8 Mb
    Hi blatantrereg

Not sure where you heard that however I would just like to confirm that the link you have attached refers to speeds of Three Megabit per second.

This link brings you to a section of wikipedia titled "Dare rate units" and might be handy to reference.

Thanks

Al

Hi blatantrereg

Not sure where you heard that however I would just like to confirm that the link you have attached refers to speeds of Three Megabit per second.

This link brings you to a section of wikipedia titled "Dare rate units" and might be handy to reference.

Thanks

Al

Wow. I came across it while lecturing in data communications a couple of times. Mb is megabit. MB is megabyte. Your posts are both patronising and startlingly ignorant. eircom should ask more about telecomms and less about selling biros in their interviews methinks.

• Advertisement

Hi blatantrereg

Thanks

Al

Wow. I came across it while lecturing in data communications a couple of times. Mb is megabit. MB is megabyte. Your posts are both patronising and startlingly ignorant. eircom should ask more about telecomms and less about selling biros in their interviews methinks.
    Hi blatantrereg

Just looked this up and see you are correct - Apologies, I had no intention to come across patronising or arrogant :)

To make things clear I can confirm that the link you have attached is intended to reflect speeds of Three Megabit per second.

Thanks
    Al

No worries. Thanks for your response.
    Hi blatantrereg

Just looked this up and see you are correct - Apologies, I had no intention to come across patronising or arrogant :)

To make things clear I can confirm that the link you have attached is intended to reflect speeds of Three Megabit per second.

Thanks
    Al

No worries. Thanks for your response.
    Hi blatantrereg

Thanks
    Al
    No worries blatantrereg

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement