Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Well feck it anyway. Had a Load of lambs booked into the factory for this evening. Had them in all and trailer has a flat tyre. Valve gone in tube. Can't take the Tomo so will have to wait til Monday.

With part time farming u need everything working perfect as there is no time to correct things when they go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

sea12 wrote: »
    Well feck it anyway. Had a Load of lambs booked into the factory for this evening. Had them in all and trailer has a flat tyre. Valve gone in tube. Can't take the Tomo so will have to wait til Monday.

With part time farming u need everything working perfect as there is no time to correct things when they go wrong.

Unlucky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

This post is prob more aimed at the IFA, rather than lamb prices themselves...

But I follow the lamb price on this page
    http://www.ifa.ie/market-reports/market-reports-15/

And every week, there are a few updates.

The updates are weekly quotes with factory prices, from each factory - which is good (saves me buying the journal)

But then there is always another comment of prices, which are always 10 - 20 cent higher than the factory quotes for both that week, and the week before or after...
    Why is this?
    How can the IFA quote a factory price on Tuesday, then put in a comment of "great demand, prices up" later in the week, and then post up the exact same prices from the factory again the Tuesday after?

:mad: :mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

This post is prob more aimed at the IFA, rather than lamb prices themselves...

But I follow the lamb price on this page
    http://www.ifa.ie/market-reports/market-reports-15/

And every week, there are a few updates.

The updates are weekly quotes with factory prices, from each factory - which is good (saves me buying the journal)

But then there is always another comment of prices, which are always 10 - 20 cent higher than the factory quotes for both that week, and the week before or after...
    Why is this?
    How can the IFA quote a factory price on Tuesday, then put in a comment of "great demand, prices up" later in the week, and then post up the exact same prices from the factory again the Tuesday after?

:mad: :mad: :(

That's the way it's working out. factory quote yesterday in the journal 4.40.
    I got 4.70 all in...talking to a farmer in ballinasloe got 4.60 all in.
    IFA have to put up the quote, but also have to put up what's been got
    also have to talk it up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If you sell into a factory, do they penalise you much if your lamb turns out to be over the 22 or 23 kg cut off weigh, and the same if the lamb kills out out poorly and not as heavy as you taught . I've always sold to mart , but thinking of giving factory a go !!!

Also any update on if ewe lambs ( texel x 45kg ) are making much of a premium over the ram lambs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

if the cut off weight is 22kg you only get paid for 22kg no cuts for supplying heavy lambs you're just giving the factory free meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

If you sell into a factory, do they penalise you much if your lamb turns out to be over the 22 or 23 kg cut off weigh, and the same if the lamb kills out out poorly and not as heavy as you taught . I've always sold to mart , but thinking of giving factory a go !!!

Also any update on if ewe lambs ( texel x 45kg ) are making much of a premium over the ram lambs ?

Not in my expeirence.You just get paid to full cut off weight at agreed price ie 24kg cold carcase @4.70 with a 22kg limit will pay 103.40 before deductions.
    Some just show it different ie 24 kg cold carcase paid at 4.30 for every kilo giving you the same price.
    Thats where only an odd one is outside the limits.
    People with lambs regularly exceeding the cut off weights are not too popular despite the idea that factories are only too glad to take free meat.
    Deal with 3 agents here and late in the year when lambs are meal fed they usually ask if lambs are too heavy and warn that if a load kills out too heavy then factory may be reluctant to take the next batch.
    Very light or thin lambs (under 16kgs or so)will see a deduction of maybe 20 to 40 cents a kilo at times.Same as heavy ones really,one or 2 not a problem but a good number of under finished lambs is not really on.
    All this depends on what deal is struck,how scarce lambs are etc etc.Some times factories will have a contract for heavy or light lambs but they will usually try to source these and not just take what comes in on the day.

Have had factory agents ringing at different times over the years looking for say 40 heavy(24kg )lambs and other times wondering if any small fleshy lambs to kill early at 16 or 17 kgs.

Thanks lads, I'm part time at moment so hard to get the time to go to the mart. The factory accept lambs weekend and evenings also once booked in ??? will have to put a double decker of lambs together to warrant trip . Near 100 mile from factory .

Thanks lads, I'm part time at moment so hard to get the time to go to the mart. The factory accept lambs weekend and evenings also once booked in ??? will have to put a double decker of lambs together to warrant trip . Near 100 mile from factory .

they'll take them in sunday evening and killed monday, don't drop them in saturday or they'll be skeletons come killing Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭eire23

No agent near by that would have a load going? 200 mile round trip is some hunt with lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

ganmo wrote: »
    if the cut off weight is 22kg you only get paid for 22kg no cuts for supplying heavy lambs you're just giving the factory free meat.

Unless your in a group where the penalties can be severe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Weighed the remaining lambs last night and have a full load for monday, hopefully average around 21kgs, although a few aren't as fleshy as i had hoped for and quotes back to £3.50 for next week. The wet weather set them back when the aftergrass just ran through them and they were skittering. gave the remaining ones a dose and another mineral drench and that leaves me with 15 lambs not gone by the 1st september.
    Probably will let these ones run around as i have a pile of grass still ahead of flushing.

razor8 wrote: »

That's what I was wondering about. Don't want factory moaning about this or that.
    Probably main reason why I've sold at mart, along with the hope a butcher might compete with factory .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Willfarman wrote: »
    Yet My lambs only average €92.

I didn't do much better with this years crop myself:(. At least the mild winter meant I had plenty of grass which saved on the ration side of things so overheads came down a bit.

razor8 wrote: »

Must double check the sheets from last year but don't remember gettin cut for going over the weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Whats thr sense with this weight limit crack???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Weighed the remaining lambs last night and have a full load for monday, hopefully average around 21kgs, although a few aren't as fleshy as i had hoped for and quotes back to £3.50 for next week. The wet weather set them back when the aftergrass just ran through them and they were skittering. gave the remaining ones a dose and another mineral drench and that leaves me with 15 lambs not gone by the 1st september.
    Probably will let these ones run around as i have a pile of grass still ahead of flushing.

That's great going, when did you start lambing and did you finish them all?

Whats thr sense with this weight limit crack???

The same as beef. They say retailers want small sized cuts so they are affordable to the consumer.

Yep kill out is poorer than normal. Hard to get them to 21kg. Heard a man saying that kill out us as low as 41%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yep kill out is poorer than normal. Hard to get them to 21kg. Heard a man saying that kill out us as low as 41%.

Yea the good is going out of the grass with all the rain, I thought I'd get 21kg this week, but they av 20.4.
    They were R and U 3s, so they weren't short of flesh, supposed to be good weather coming so might increase thrive and KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

got €85 for 44.5kg ram lambs in Mountbellew
    Thats all they were going to get on the day, Huge mart -most lambs seemed lighter than this and struggling around the low 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

Had 15 nice ram lambs in New Ross on Sat. 50kgs made €98.

Had 15 nice ram lambs in New Ross on Sat. 50kgs made €98.

Dropped lambs into the factory this evening. Never saw it as full with sheep. Got one of the last few pens. Good few coming in as I went. Think they will have to turn around snd come again in the morning.

Sold lambs in roscrea this morning. 42kg lambs got €81. Sold ewe lambs separate to rams. No difference in price what so ever.

Sold lambs in roscrea this morning. 42kg lambs got €81. Sold ewe lambs separate to rams. No difference in price what so ever.

Lambs killed out well and averaged 94. Few over the 21.5 though. Hate giving factories free meat. Hopefully price remains steady as good few coming ready in next few weeks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

The same as beef. They say retailers want small sized cuts so they are affordable to the consumer.
    Can the Factory not cut them smaller?

Can the Factory not cut them smaller?

Not really as the chop or leg on a bigger lamb will be naturally bigger.Apart from these bits a lot of the lamb carcase is of low value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Yes indeed I have often seen a big skip at the back of the factory that's full of the kilos of meat from lambs killing over weight..

Willfarman wrote: »
    Yes indeed I have often seen a big skip at the back of the factory that's full of the kilos of meat from lambs killing over weight..

Have you also seen the cold store room where the heavy lambs are kept till a suitable market has been found that will take them at a reduced rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Lambs killed out well and averaged 94. Few over the 21.5 though. Hate giving factories free meat. Hopefully price remains steady as good few coming ready in next few weeks .

Sea, I reckon the factory should be paying up to 22kg at this stage. Camolin gave us €4.60 up to 22kg on monday

Advertisement