Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Spring lamb would be nearer 7e/kg and less than 21kg dw

No spring lamb should be at least 7 euro per kilo but they're only quoting 6 which is no good glad we got out of them years ago
    Are they quoting 6 for spring lamb? Can’t see any quotes printed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Bord bia still aren't updating their sheep prices graphs
    https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/sheep/pages/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

ganmo wrote: »
    Bord bia still aren't updating their sheep prices graphs
    https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/sheep/pages/default.aspx

They’re worse than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No spring lamb should be at least 7 euro per kilo but they're only quoting 6 which is no good glad we got out of them years ago

Are ypu for real? Load of bollox innit

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Are ypu for real? Load of bollox innit

It sure is, yad need at least 140 for a spring lamb to make it worthwhile, iv hoggets that I was going to keep as replacements going hopefully next week and they'll come into more than a spring lamb, it's not right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

No Spring lamb killed yet apparently

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No Spring lamb killed yet apparently

Say another week
    With Ramadan being May 5th should give a good lift towards the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Say another week
    With Ramadan being May 5th should give a good lift towards the end of the month

When would they be killing for that? Last week April?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

any quotes for Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I see Moyvalley quoting €7/kg fo spring lamb in last weeks journal.....wonder did they get many

• Advertisement

Anyone getting better then €5.50-5.60 ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone getting better then €5.50-5.60 ?

IFA text stated 5.60 - 5.80 today but didn’t say where

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I’ve been selling lambs in factory and mart over the last few months. Anyone ever get extra money for having the lambs clipped around the tail in Marts ? I always have them clipped when going to both, but find you never get a penny extra for them in the mart, as opposed to a dirty lamb of the same weight. Anyone else notice this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

I’ve been selling lambs in factory and mart over the last few months. Anyone ever get extra money for having the lambs clipped around the tail in Marts ? I always have them clipped when going to both, but find you never get a penny extra for them in the mart, as opposed to a dirty lamb of the same weight. Anyone else notice this ?

All I do know is one guy that buys sheep won’t buy them in Kilkenny unless there very clean or clipped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

+1
    I wont bother next year for the mart. I think the agents might have a deal with the factories which exempts them from charges.

Spoke to 2 factories yesterday €5-60 inc q.a seems to be the base price now. Ifa says farmers asking for €6.00 , hoping to get nearer that myself.

Spoke to 2 factories yesterday €5-60 inc q.a seems to be the base price now. Ifa says farmers asking for €6.00 , hoping to get nearer that myself.

Will it go up more?

Did someone say that there is a Muslim festival on 5th May, so will that push prices a little?

Pulled out a few of my own and throwing em a small bit of ration, was hoping prices would be at 6/kg...
    Looking at how much they will have eaten before they go, it’s gas how quick they get through a bag of ration... at ~9euro/25kg bag...

Ya, that sums it up alright. I’m getting finisher for just over euro a bag less and mixing maize through it, which is reasonably priced also atm, so bringing down the overall cost, but hard to make money out of them when your spending all your profit on meal.

Ya, that sums it up alright. I’m getting finisher for just over euro a bag less and mixing maize through it, which is reasonably priced also atm, so bringing down the overall cost, but hard to make money out of them when your spending all your profit on meal.

Weighed some that I pulled out to send to factory... they seem to have put on savage weight since I started feeding em... and they were only getting 0.25/kg/head morning and evening, but were on fairly good grass too...

Very pleased with how they did, might send em off this week if I can...

How many sheep had you to go

• Advertisement

Duke92 wrote: »
    How many sheep had you to go

Not enough to cause any of the factories to loose sleep, but I’ve put a lot of time and money into them and hope to be properly rewarded now. €6 is my target. Hope it ain’t too far away.

Not enough to cause any of the factories to loose sleep, but I’ve put a lot of time and money into them and hope to be properly rewarded now. €6 is my target. Hope it ain’t too far away.

50 a 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Not enough to cause any of the factories to loose sleep, but I’ve put a lot of time and money into them and hope to be properly rewarded now. €6 is my target. Hope it ain’t too far away.[/quo

Did you sell any of the lambs last year or hold them all til know. If there on meal for so long is it not indicating a underlying problem like a mineral deficiency or something else?

razor8 wrote: »

Did you sell any of the lambs last year or hold them all til know. If there on meal for so long is it not indicating a underlying problem like a mineral deficiency or something else?

A mixture. Been drawing lambs that were mealed every few weeks. Down to the last batch or two of them now. Also have a good few that were lightly mealed, but on grass for the last two months and have thrived well. Haven’t started drawing them yet, but their all female so have option of selling as hoggets later. With prices being stagnant over the last few months, want to make up ground now.

A mixture. Been drawing lambs that were mealed every few weeks. Down to the last batch or two of them now. Also have a good few that were lightly mealed, but on grass for the last two months and have thrived well. Haven’t started drawing them yet, but their all female so have option of selling as hoggets later. With prices being stagnant over the last few months, want to make up ground now.

Are they eating into this years lamb crop? Do you supplement minerals at all? Just curious

Are they eating into this years lamb crop? Do you supplement minerals at all? Just curious

I’d a good bit built up ahead of ewes, so let them into that, it was winter growth so, grazed and refertilised. It’s come back nicely, ready for ewes to go into. Had most, if not all lambs gone this time last year. The drought caused backlog this year.

I’d a good bit built up ahead of ewes, so let them into that, it was winter growth so, grazed and refertilised. It’s come back nicely, ready for ewes to go into. Had most, if not all lambs gone this time last year. The drought caused backlog this year.

Did you not supplement during the drought to keep them going? Would you better selling all as stores in August/September rather than eating into this years crop & feeding meal all winter. Sounds a very expensive system. How much per head have they eaten?

Did you not supplement during the drought to keep them going? Would you better selling all as stores in August/September rather than eating into this years crop & feeding meal all winter. Sounds a very expensive system. How much per head have they eaten?

Ya, i supplemented, but not enough and didn’t expect it to last as long as it did. In hindsight, would have been better selling in August all right. Don’t know how much they’ve eaten, but too much. Won’t be repeating this year. I suppose I did it out of stubbornness. Also expected the trade to have been better this spring, seeing as how scarce they are. Cannt understand that one though.

Ya, i supplemented, but not enough and didn’t expect it to last as long as it did. In hindsight, would have been better selling in August all right. Don’t know how much they’ve eaten, but too much. Won’t be repeating this year. I suppose I did it out of stubbornness. Also expected the trade to have been better this spring, seeing as how scarce they are. Cannt understand that one though.

Hindsight would solve a lot of problems. Bought stores before Xmas and hoping to get €6.50 or close to it too. Had to let some go last week as they were getting way to heavy at 5.50 but got no meal so not to bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

springs are powering on like wildfire this year and I reckon will be coming out in droves in a couple of weeks, that and the big number of store hoggetts that went through the sales this spring, I can't see any dramatic scarcity or lift in prices,

Advertisement