Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

orm0nd wrote: »
    springs are powering on like wildfire this year and I reckon will be coming out in droves in a couple of weeks, that and the big number of store hoggetts that went through the sales this spring, I can't see any dramatic scarcity or lift in prices,

Can’t say I agree. Lambs are very scarce even the factory agents say numbers are tight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

razor8 wrote: »
    Can’t say I agree. Lambs are very scarce even the factory agents say numbers are tight

Last time I was in the factory, I offloaded my lambs and they went straight from the trailer to up the line. Nothing else there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hindsight would solve a lot of problems. Bought stores before Xmas and hoping to get €6.50 or close to it too. Had to let some go last week as they were getting way to heavy at 5.50 but got no meal so not to bad

Jaysus, they were heavy - did I see 30kg deadweight? And off grass alone?

What weight did you buy em at before Christmas as a matter of interest?

Edit - I see you said no meal, so maybe they were on some kinda fodder crop?

Hindsight would solve a lot of problems. Bought stores before Xmas and hoping to get €6.50 or close to it too. Had to let some go last week as they were getting way to heavy at 5.50 but got no meal so not to bad

Break your heart giving them free meat, but what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Hope you're right . we'll be moving springs at least 10 days earlier than last year and bigger draws as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Not scarce in ICM this morning. Full up and the field

Box09 wrote: »

lorries from the north spotted heading south as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Box09 wrote: »

They must want them I got a phone call today looking for lambs he brings them to icm
    And I’ve none to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Duke92 wrote: »
    They must want them I got a phone call today looking for lambs he brings them to icm
    And I’ve none to sell

What price did they quote you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 manno

Small improvement in Athenry today. Hoggets over 50kg making up to €130 but no more.

• Advertisement

What price did they quote you?

He said 5:80 for a number they could be more got I had no reason to push him
    It’s a lot better from the 5:40 to 23kgs I got 3 weeks ago and my compliment was I didn’t get any weight cuts

He said 5:80 for a number they could be more got I had no reason to push him
    It’s a lot better from the 5:40 to 23kgs I got 3 weeks ago and my compliment was I didn’t get any weight cuts

Got €5.80 this morning, so dukes right. it’s out there, maybe more .I was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

What are 3 year old ewes making with 1.4 lambs at foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭kk.man

What are 3 year old ewes making with 1.4 lambs at foot (In the marts) lambs 3 weeks old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Text fromTullow mart looking for lambs for live weighing tomorrow morning, 40-42 kgs, no price mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Text fromTullow mart looking for lambs for live weighing tomorrow morning, 40-42 kgs, no price mentioned

90 with the kilo as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

kk.man wrote: »
    What are 3 year old ewes making with 1.4 lambs at foot (In the marts) lambs 3 weeks old?

I’d say €150+
    If you’re on Facebook check out Dowra Mart’s Ltd
    They post pics from cattle & sheep sales

lambs are flooding in at the moment, cant get lambs killed this week. anyone else here anything?

supposed to be looking for spring lamb for ramadam instead of hoggets this year

lambs are flooding in at the moment, cant get lambs killed this week. anyone else here anything?

So the factory agents you mentioned a few posts back were talking bull. Nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Probably be told it's too late for easter next week and drop the price.
    It's no secret that easter lamb is actually hogget every year

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »

Found over the last few years the demand for Ramadan is way stronger then Easter.

wrangler wrote: »

The agent couldn’t believe they were saying that either & said he was stuck would 2 loads til next week but wouldn’t always believe what a agent had to say

The agent couldn’t believe they were saying that either & said he was stuck would 2 loads til next week but wouldn’t always believe what a agent had to say

The agents love putting that out there
    And us spreading it to keep the sheep coming
    This week and next are 2 short weeks for them
    To

Is there that many spring lambs out there
    Last I sold the last of my hoggets in the middle of May and they where a great price

The agents love putting that out there
    And us spreading it to keep the sheep coming
    This week and next are 2 short weeks for them
    To

Send abit of fear out there to flush out lambs. Would make you very cynical about the industry as a whole. No wonder the younger generation aren’t bothering with sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

feck
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/factories-cut-hogget-quotes-by-1015ckg-38017331.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

The was a queue out the gate in Athenry mart Monday with spring lambs. With spring being a bit later a lot more lambs are suitable, and as you or I would do, you’d hold them for the week before Easter. Ramadan only 2 weeks ago so might be a help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there that many spring lambs out there
    Last I sold the last of my hoggets in the middle of May and they where a great price

Ramadan was end of May last year
    Last year I Got more for spring lambs end of May than I did at Easter
    Easter & Ramadan are earlier next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ramadam gets earlier every year by aprox a week and a half

• Advertisement

Any word on live exporters ? In previous years I never got a phone call looking for sheep at Easter, but phone always rings for Ramadan.

Advertisement