Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

and a psossible hard brexit on the way may well mean there supply of northern irish and english lambs is not there anymore. what happens then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dickie10 wrote: »
    and a psossible hard brexit on the way may well mean there supply of northern irish and english lambs is not there anymore. what happens then?

Same as happened before Foot and Mouth. A blind eye will be turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Sold first lambs 52kg at €115 Well back on other years

Just wondering why you let them go that heavy at this time of year?

god that shocking did that happen i was a child when foot and mouth was here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

The factories might have to actually pay us then. A lot of new shelf space would appear in the French supermarkets.

• Advertisement

god that shocking did that happen i was a child when foot and mouth was here

It was going on for years, truck and trailer loads of lambs crossing the border every week and a blind eye turned to it as jobs in the factories were deemed more important than sheep farmers incomes.

A relative of a Boardsie here was involved in highlighting it for ages but nothing was done.

And then Foot and Mouth came in, more than likely on one of those lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It was going on for years, truck and trailer loads of lambs crossing the border every week and a blind eye turned to it as jobs in the factories were deemed more important than sheep farmers incomes.

A relative of a Boardsie here was involved in highlighting it for ages but nothing was done.

THE main individual involved was some ba%#£d. Used to buy in the marts around here, he owed thousands to different banks and merchants. The factory he was supplying had a direct debit system set up with the marts as the mart wouldn't take his cheques.

Not long before some of the smart boys started giving him backhanders and booking sheep in at grossly inflated prices.

He jocked me on a couple of pens of ewe lambs one day. Was in front of me in the queue for paying and turned with a smirk on his face and said.
    Here's the man that bought the dear sheep. I said at least I was using my own cheque to pay for them and if he wanted to dicuss it further we'd take it outside.

He kinda gave me a wide berth after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Box09 wrote: »
    Just wondering why you let them go that heavy at this time of year?
    Always sell to mart at that weight
    Lambs at 40-45kg generally are €10-€15 less

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Always sell to mart at that weight
    Lambs at 40-45kg generally are €10-€15 less

2 weeks ago they would have been worth 115 though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

orm0nd wrote: »
    THE main individual involved was some ba%#£d. Used to buy in the marts around here, he owed thousands to different banks and merchants. The factory he was supplying had a direct debit system set up with the marts as the mart wouldn't take his cheques.

Not long before some of the smart boys started giving him backhanders and booking sheep in at grossly inflated prices.

He jocked me on a couple of pens of ewe lambs one day. Was in front of me in the queue for paying and turned with a smirk on his face and said.
    Here's the man that bought the dear sheep. I said at least I was using my own cheque to pay for them and if he wanted to dicuss it further we'd take it outside.

He kinda gave me a wide berth after that.

If you're referring to the man that brought F&M into the North, he's now running a mart up here. He took on a mart a few years ago and is buying most of the lambs to go south. It's only fat lambs and cull ewes that are sold through it, so you can imagine the clientele around the ringside with their fingers in the air.
    He's an absolute and utter fooking crook and gangster, pays nothing near factory price, and boys still supply him.
    He would always buy the heaviest lambs, so i dunno if he has some backhanded deal going on with the factories in the south. He lives close enough to the border and has always been involved in these type of operations.

I was heavily involved in F&M up here as I was working for the Veterinary service at the time and it brought out the worst in some farmers.

There was a fella/dealer here that used his lorry to deliver sheep to the cull site. On the last day he said the Dept would need to buy his lorry of him because no matter how well it was disinfected he didn't want to risk infecting any sheep/cattle in the future. This was despite him stealing other mens sheep at night and delivering them to the cull site for slaughter and getting paid for them, saying they were his own, he even got us to shoot his sheepdog and was looking thousands for it as he said it could be infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Few changes made but 6 months later they went back to their old tricks

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Few changes made but 6 months later they went back to their old tricks

Always the lad at the end of the line that's left with the empty plate.

After the drops this last 2 weeks, we'll be dropping ewes this year and staying dropping. Easier to add a few cows and have less work in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

After the drops this last 2 weeks, we'll be dropping ewes this year and staying dropping. Easier to add a few cows and have less work in spring.
    I missed the ewes and lambs after I sold them. With what's after happening I think I made a wise choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭davidk1394

This is the main reason why I am getting out of sheep. We are the last to get a fair price. I was going to lamb down around 300 ewes next spring just to keep money coming in. I think I’d be better off if I sold the ewes and just left the grass grow. At least I wouldn’t owe anyone money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Alot of issue with factories importing lambs is well in my area anyways...the quality of sheep is rubbish and few times i go to mart....pens pf heavy lambs and a rubbishy enough finish on em...if i was a agent i wouldnt buy em

Any good meal fed lambs always seem to make 5 to 6 euro ahead extra around where im based anyway

The prices listed as available in england/north arent that much lower vs here....so there more to it than factories simply going to bother going over there,importing lambs and losing killout% on long haul with lambs imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

kk.man wrote: »
    I missed the ewes and lambs after I sold them. With what's after happening I think I made a wise choice.

What did/do you do instead kk, if you don't mind me asking.

What did/do you do instead kk, if you don't mind me asking.

I still have dry hoggets and I finish cattle. I won't be idel nor rich!

I probably go back to store lamb purchasing in the autumn too. With work, family and poor prices it's just not worth it. Just shore today and the price of that is terrible. My father said many a year it used to pay for the ewe nuts. Times change ppl must move on.

im researching our future wool production and markets , hopefully with the greens getting a bit of power we can use this to our advantage. early days but looking for a new future in wool industry

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Dickie10 wrote:
    im researching our future wool production and markets , hopefully with the greens getting a bit of power we can use this to our advantage. early days but looking for a new future in wool industry

What is wool making a kg

• Advertisement

only 0.60 - 070 cent/kg

im trying to get something organised via the green party , ill set up a page on it. i think now is the time to fight a bit more for the wool industry instead of sitting back taking it. its only the embryonic stage of my thinking but its worth a shot. all this environmental lark i think we have a strong case

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

only 0.60 - 070 cent/kg

im trying to get something organised via the green party , ill set up a page on it. i think now is the time to fight a bit more for the wool industry instead of sitting back taking it. its only the embryonic stage of my thinking but its worth a shot. all this environmental lark i think we have a strong case

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

only 0.60 - 070 cent/kg

best of luck with that .the price of wool is pathetic but as a shearer the ****e I see as wool and how it is presented I wouldn't blame international merchants refusing to take irish wool altogether only fit for insulation in reality .

in a simple calculation if wool was to double in price it still wouldn't amount to much just might cover cost of clipping ,
    your time and effort could be better spent getting other issues addressed....free tags...….cost of fallen stock.....sfp paid quarterly...…a lime subsidy...….crap the scrapie levy....etc

as big an issue as the price of wool is who is going to shear them no one wants to learn never mind actually work at it.....could be time for hair sheep or goats????????????????:D:D:D

i was wondering would the greens jump on it if it was presented properly, as an environmentally friendly and sustainable alternative to nylon, polyester and cotton. its renewable after all. surely the carbon footprint of a kilo of wool in ireland has to be massivley lower than a kilo of cotton.maybe get companies like kingspan involved in wool as insulation over artificial oil heavy insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    best of luck with that .the price of wool is pathetic but as a shearer the ****e I see as wool and how it is presented I wouldn't blame international merchants refusing to take irish wool altogether only fit for insulation in reality .

in a simple calculation if wool was to double in price it still wouldn't amount to much just might cover cost of clipping ,
    your time and effort could be better spent getting other issues addressed....free tags...….cost of fallen stock.....sfp paid quarterly...…a lime subsidy...….crap the scrapie levy....etc

as big an issue as the price of wool is who is going to shear them no one wants to learn never mind actually work at it.....could be time for hair sheep or goats????????????????:D:D:D

a shearer looking for more lime to be spread? :O :D

Lano Lynn wrote: »

That s going to be the huge issue. Lads have jobs now in a full employment economy and another reason why I got out of ewes. Some shearers have taken the mantle of God's because you are their mercy.

're the Greens don't think they are going to be the farmers friend. Firstly rural ppl didn't vote for them in the recent election and secondly they will only work for their urban idealistic base.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That s going to be the huge issue. Lads have jobs now in a full employment economy and another reason why I got out of ewes. Some shearers have taken the mantle of God's because you are their mercy.

're the Greens don't think they are going to be the farmers friend. Firstly rural ppl didn't vote for them in the recent election and secondly they will only work for their urban idealistic base.
    Ya exactly, a world champion shearer was shearing for a lad near us and a few hoggets had turned on him when he was bringing the rest in, it took him about 10 minutes for him to bring the five hottest back up and he has packed up and left...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

don't underestimate who the greens will listen to IFA leader gave them credit on the radio the other day for turning up at several association events.and there are the organic farmer lobby in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Farmers are their own worst enemny in many aspects

The slurry deadlines are openly flaunted and seeing lads spreading into mid december isnt uncommon where i am

Few years aga.mcpa was found in several water sources in donegal.....roundup.being found in rivers in mayo......realistically this is from farmers,we can get stronger chemicals than domestic use

They can go either carrot or stick approach,either bring in loads of envirnomental schemes to reduce cow numbers or lash out fines for messing and tighten regulations on sprays etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Spreading in mid December is fine if conditions allow. Rainfall and soil moisture levels should be the parameters of spreading not the calendar. I do concur with your general point but with reference to the nitrates directive an example the idea that nitrogen is encouraging spread in be spread in sub zero temperatures on low temperature waterlogged soils in February but banned in warm growing pasture in warm souls for sheep farmers after mid September for outwintered sheep. Which will end up in the watercourses?

Advertisement