Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

How bad are sheep prices now? I sold 40kg mule hoggets for €109 in March. What would they be worth now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

How bad are sheep prices now? I sold 40kg mule hoggets for €109 in March. What would they be worth now?

I had one weather in a bunch of ewe hoggets that escaped my attention. I brought him to the factory and he made 96 euro!

He graded r3 and was 33kg dw. His comrades were sold in February for 123 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lambs not being slaughtered in Ballyhaunis tomorrow I think, last day of Ramadan and the lads blessing the meat or something wont work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I had a bit of a sort through on oddments of sheep last week. Sold in mart. 4 early Jan lambs 44kg 111€. Single lamb of same 58 kg 114.50. Their 3 mothers €101. And 2 wethers that I found among the hlast of the hoggets 50kg 94€. No meal eaten by anything but still very poor money for prime stock in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have a trailer of ewe hoggets left over that I never got around to selling. The minute the price was slashed below €4.75 a kilo, I decided not to bother giving them away for nothing. Their now gone to €4.25 so will hold on, shear and hopefully get half decent money for in the autumn. Sad days for the sheep industry. Will leave lots of lads questioning their future in this sector.

• Advertisement

Check under their tails.. I might know someone with a similar mindset recently that found a couple of ringed rouges amongst the princesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

they really should have been gone by may 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dickie10 wrote: »
    they really should have been gone by may 1st

Agreed, once the new crop of lambs come in numbers the hoggets are really only worth ewe price.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Have a trailer of ewe hoggets left over that I never got around to selling. The minute the price was slashed below €4.75 a kilo, I decided not to bother giving them away for nothing. Their now gone to €4.25 so will hold on, shear and hopefully get half decent money for in the autumn. Sad days for the sheep industry. Will leave lots of lads questioning their future in this sector.

How will it leave them questioning their future, hoggets should have been gone at least a month ago if not 2, why would a factory pay top price for year old meat when spring lambs are coming in.

Sheepman2 wrote: »

How will it leave them questioning their future, hoggets should have been gone at least a month ago if not 2, why would a factory pay top price for year old meat when spring lambs are coming in.
    They cut the hoggets and the lambs in equal measure the bastardized hoors.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    They cut the hoggets and the lambs in equal measure the bastardized hoors.

Absolutely, this isn’t a agruement of hoggets vs springs. This is about the constant messing and unwillingness to pay a fair price for our products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'm no friend of the factories either, but some of blame lies with the farmer.

\Carrying hoggets to almost 30kgs D/W into May and expecting to get top dollar from them, when they should have been on the hook last March.

All this year factories were smiling ear to ear, lambs were coming on stream so fast and farmers failing to draft and giving free meat as a result.

I dont get the Findo but read on Twitter where springs selling at Roscommon mart were blowing €5 to €10 a head on their factory value, (assuming they had a reasonable flesh cover) no doubt the farmer will blame the factory here again.
    It's almost 4 hours round trip for us to the factory and a little under 2 to the abbatoir, yet we manage to work it in and do dairying as well.

we have approx. 70% of our 2019 lambs drafted with hopefully 80-85% gone by end of June.

what numbers we will lamb in 2020 remains to be seen, we have been approached by a dairy farmer re contract rearing his heifers, but if we do go that route there will still be some few "white vermin" mixed with the black and whites.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

orm0nd wrote: »

\Carrying hoggets to almost 30kgs D/W into May and expecting to get top dollar from them, when they should have been on the hook last March.

All this year factories were smiling ear to ear, lambs were coming on stream so fast and farmers failing to draft and giving free meat as a result.

I dont get the Findo but read on Twitter where springs selling at Roscommon mart were blowing €5 to €10 a head on their factory value, (assuming they had a reasonable flesh cover) no doubt the farmer will blame the factory here again.
    It's almost 4 hours round trip for us to the factory and a little under 2 to the abbatoir, yet we manage to work it in and do dairying as well.

we have approx. 70% of our 2019 lambs drafted with hopefully 80-85% gone by end of June.

what numbers we will lamb in 2020 remains to be seen, we have been approached by a dairy farmer re contract rearing his heifers, but if we do go that route there will still be some few "white vermin" mixed with the black and whites.

Rant over.

Great post Ormond which I fully agree with.

Do you mind me asking when your 2019 lambs were born and did you feed much meal to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Rant over.
    I see your point but last year was a different story. We had an unreal spring and the 'early' lambers did well the few that is left. Hoggets were sought after because spring lambs weren't coming forward. They were reports of deaths both here and the UK.
    Every year is different.

Rant over.

A lot of overweight lambs going from our group as well, they'd be losing a substantial bonus by being overweight as well as not being paid for the extra meat.
    It's not easy for processors, uneven supply with a glut in the autumn, supermarkets looking for small cuts, farmers supplying elephants

Sami23 wrote: »
    Great post Ormond which I fully agree with.

Do you mind me asking when your 2019 lambs were born and did you feed much meal to them ?

we started 20th Jan. but had an unreal burst around 1st Feb. Luckily we hadn't many cows calved and were able to use the calf shed as a back up. This is another factor that will influence lambing 2020. Have a lot of cows calving (hopefully) from 25 Jan next year.

on turn out they were offered fresh grass every 5 to 7 days and meal was introduced from 6 to 8 weeks onwards. havent figures but meal usage well down on previos years.
    kk.man wrote: »
    I see your point but last year was a different story. We had an unreal spring and the 'early' lambers did well the few that is left. Hoggets were sought after because spring lambs weren't coming forward. They were reports of deaths both here and the UK.
    Every year is different.

If you are in early lamb, gear up for it

have housing to hold lambs indoors longer if necessary
    fields closed off from mid october onwards and most important use a ram who's offspring are able for hardship ie hampshiredown.... ch and rouge are an utter disaster .. have the teeshirt.

If you think it was bad in KK you should try it here in midwest, at 1 stage we had to disconnect the current from the bottom row of strip wire 'cos it was under water in places

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

5.70 base and 10c extra for u’s and 10centts extra for lambs lighter than 20kg

kk.man wrote: »
    Every year is different.

Yep, factories were more then happy to rely on the hoggets last year. This year all we got were stories of not wanting our produce from February onwards. They closed down the factory lines and sent lads home instead of looking for our lambs. Things only started to lift a week or two before easter. After that it was a fast collapse. I’ve a longer run to the factory then ormond, but made the trips and kept moving most of my stock. None went above 23.5kg’s and many at poor money. At this stage I’ve a few ewe hoggets left, but not many. Hopefully this year, there won’t be any drought and all will be gone by early autumn. But as you correctly said, no two years the same. What leaves me frustrated is when lambs are plentiful the price is weak, but when they were scarce, the price still remained weak. Cannt figure out that one.

The only answer is another cut in ewe numbers to put manners on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the only thing to put these lads under manners is a hard brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Yep, factories were more then happy to rely on the hoggets last year. This year all we got were stories of not wanting our produce from February onwards. They closed down the factory lines and sent lads home instead of looking for our lambs. Things only started to lift a week or two before easter. After that it was a fast collapse. I’ve a longer run to the factory then ormond, but made the trips and kept moving most of my stock. None went above 23.5kg’s and many at poor money. At this stage I’ve a few ewe hoggets left, but not many. Hopefully this year, there won’t be any drought and all will be gone by early autumn. But as you correctly said, no two years the same. What leaves me frustrated is when lambs are plentiful the price is weak, but when they were scarce, the price still remained weak. Cannt figure out that one.
    They dont want us to loose the run of ourselves and make a few pound :P
    In all fairness, if the factories were fair with us we'd be fair with them and supply inspec lambs, an extra €15-€20 a lamb consistently throughout the year would make it workable for us, and id doubt if itd bankrupt them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

In all fairness, if the factories were fair with us we'd be fair with them and supply inspec lambs, an extra €15-€20 a lamb consistently throughout the year would make it workable for us, and id doubt if itd bankrupt them:rolleyes:

You've stumbled upon the issue...factories arent offering any incentive to produce inspec lambs and cutting like fcuk.to try force the issue....so lads arent bothered putting work into better sheep....only for dept clamping down on dirty animals would lads bother clipping own lambs before sending them in????

But i worked briefly with a lad buying lambs for.factories and amount of poorly finished lambs presented in marts is shocking.....but ended up.being bought up.anyway

At the factory i seen a lorryload of these mystical northern lambs....they are better quality lambs on average and tbh id be hard pressed to condemn someone for buying better quality animals

That’s the issue, what’s the average sheep farmer making a year ? In many cases it’s only a fraction of the industrial wage. Not much fairness in that and a reason why the next generation isn’t “flocking” to join our ranks.

Lashing rain here this morning, I'm just after following an open trailer of lambs......wonder what they'll be like when they hit the factory, there was some amount of spray off the wheels of both the trailer and car going in on top of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

What are factories paying up to at the moment - 20kg or 21kg ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    What are factories paying up to at the moment - 20kg or 21kg ?

21 think some are on 20.5

Still loads of overweight lambs going in. For once can't say, I blame them for keeping weight limit low.

Should be interesting tomorrow, we're looking after the groups lambs at the factory and we're bringing a tag reader with us.....we get a lot of poorly marked sheep and have to read the herd no. to identify the owner, some tags are difficult to read so the reader should be a huge help and will read the tag without catching the sheep.
    The reader is only pocket size but we have a big stick reader as well that we could program to give the owners name from the herd no. but don't want to bring it to get stolen/wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Sold 2 ewes today both mastitis on 1 side both reared lambs 82kg €114

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

How were lambs going around the 40kg mark ? I've a few in going to bring to the factory next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s lambs making at the moment?
    Have a few lambs hitting mid 40’s, thinking of bringing to the mart.
    Is there a rise/drop coming?

Advertisement