Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Wasn't there wile lambs were being sold

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What’s lambs making at the moment?
    Have a few lambs hitting mid 40’s, thinking of bringing to the mart.
    Is there a rise/drop coming?

Slight rise according to the Journal this week.

46-50kg = €116-120

42-45kg = €107-112

40-42kg = €100-110

35-40kg = €85-100

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Slight rise according to the Journal this week.

46-50kg = €116-120

42-45kg = €107-112

40-42kg = €100-110

35-40kg = €85-100

Thanks
    Might bring them so
    Every bit helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

How long would it take to get lambs from 35 kg to over the 40 kg mark (43 approx), getting meal and good grass, suffolk and texel lambs born March .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Enough meal 15-20 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Lambs heading to the factory this week @€;5.50 +10c quality assurance . Happy enough with that , they're weighing between 39kg and 42kg so hopefully come into €105 each on average .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

farming93 wrote: »
    Lambs heading to the factory this week @€;5.50 +10c quality assurance . Happy enough with that , they're weighing between 39kg and 42kg so hopefully come into €105 each on average .

When were they born farming 93 and have they meal eaten ? I haven't weighed anything in a month but I think mine are behind other years.

DJ98 wrote: »
    How long would it take to get lambs from 35 kg to over the 40 kg mark (43 approx), getting meal and good grass, suffolk and texel lambs born March .

If they gain 300g/day then it’ll take them 27 days to put on 8kg, or the bones of 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If they gain 300g/day then it’ll take them 27 days to put on 8kg, or the bones of 4 weeks

They'll need to be a growthy type lamb as well to do the 2kg/wk., butty types will struggle to gain 2kgs/wk.
    I saw somewhere that your lambs are gaining 300g/day, you should be happy with that, we seem to be a lowly 250g/day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    They'll need to be a growthy type lamb as well to do the 2kg/wk., butty types will struggle to gain 2kgs/wk.
    I saw somewhere that your lambs are gaining 300g/day, you should be happy with that, we seem to be a lowly 250g/day

Not surprised at your stocking rate. Mine have averaged 330 this year. Hopefully keep them going now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

razor8 wrote: »
    Not surprised at your stocking rate. Mine have averaged 330 this year. Hopefully keep them going now

Grass is getting ahead of them here for the last three weeks, gone too strong, will probably be alright in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Average 44kg @ €108
    That’s €8/head less than 2 weeks ago.

Only a few lambs that I weaned off the Hoggets left .
    Not my best year selling lambs

When were they born farming 93 and have they meal eaten ? I haven't weighed anything in a month but I think mine are behind other years.

Started lambing the 18th of March white clover. No meal just constantly on short leafy grass Ch x lambs. I'll let you know how they kill out tomorrow.

wrangler wrote: »

You could have read that someplace alright!

First year we managed to hit an average of 300g so happy with that. Bringing them in on Saturday for (approx.) 100 days weighing and will hopefully mark a few ram lambs then for the mart/factory. Grass has got too strong and stemmy for them over the past few weeks so it'll probably have hit performance though.

We'll be keeping a good few ewe lambs this year and have a few already noted due to their mothers being good ewes. But we'll probably keep a bigger squad of them than we need and then see which perform best (no lameness, big enough size) before the final decision is made. Any not putting themselves forward won't be in the final match-day squad.

I wonder if this is what Joe Schmidt feels like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

farming93 wrote: »

Are they paying to 20.5 or 21kg's do you know ?

I've no idea I didn't ask that sorry. Lambs killed out at 18.6 kg deadweight and averaged 104.60 on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

I was in Dublin today and I called into a restaurant for breakfast. This place serves some of their own produce from their farm.
    I saw a sign up at the counter lamb for sale 152 euro. I presume this was a whole lamb butchered. Take 105 euro for the shop to pay their farm and 30 odd euro in butchering costs that leaves 20 odd euro for the shop part of the business profit.
    Not much more than the farmer. That's my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ewes 2.7€/kg to 45kgs
    Lambs 5.80 to 21kg

Ewes 2.7€/kg to 45kgs
    Lambs 5.80 to 21kg

Where is that ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Where is that ?

Ballyhaunis through a group for lambs that were killed Monday...

• Advertisement

Ballyhaunis through a group for lambs that were killed Monday...

Not a bad price for June I suppose

kk.man wrote: »
    I was in Dublin today and I called into a restaurant for breakfast. This place serves some of their own produce from their farm.
    I saw a sign up at the counter lamb for sale 152 euro. I presume this was a whole lamb butchered. Take 105 euro for the shop to pay their farm and 30 odd euro in butchering costs that leaves 20 odd euro for the shop part of the business profit.
    Not much more than the farmer. That's my take on it.

How much meat do you reckon you’d get from a whole lamb?

I know factories only pay to 20 and 21kg but there’s always more than that on them.

Obviously you’d get 4 legs but how many chops, mince, and other cuts would you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I know factories only pay to 20 and 21kg but there’s always more than that on them.

Obviously you’d get 4 legs but how many chops, mince, and other cuts would you get?

It would take an exceptional lamb to kill over 23.5kg

Factories pay on carcase weight,kill outs averaged 21.8kg here last year

Though if anyone could explain the grading system/have link for whats explains overfat etc (U2/U3/R2 etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You only get 2 legs (the back ones). You could get 2 shoulders or they could be minced.

Take the legs and chops and the lamb will get small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

_blaaz wrote: »

Though if anyone could explain the grading system/have link for whats explains overfat etc (U2/U3/R2 etc etc)

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/animalbreeding/sheepandgoats/lambcarcaseclassification/

Sami23 wrote: »
    Not a bad price for June I suppose

Same as last year roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Talks of a 20c/kg cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

orm0nd wrote: »
    Talks of a 20c/kg cut.

Icm leading the downward charge again.

Found this re what you get in a whole lamb. Very well presented and marketed: https://calveysachillmountainlamb.ie/how-we-prepare-your-lamb/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Found this re what you get in a whole lamb. Very well presented and marketed: https://calveysachillmountainlamb.ie/how-we-prepare-your-lamb/

The butcher that kills a few for me was telling me that a properly finished lowland lamb would be a 25 to 30kg carcass, so there could be a good bit more meat in the heavier lamb for tge same butchering cost.

Advertisement