Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Have you also seen the cold store room where the heavy lambs are kept till a suitable market has been found that will take them at a reduced rate?

A special cold store for the heavy lambs paddy? So they don't get paid for any of the free meat? How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

sako 85 wrote: »
    Sea, I reckon the factory should be paying up to 22kg at this stage. Camolin gave us €4.60 up to 22kg on monday

Most factories should be up to 22kgs at this stage.

Willfarman wrote: »
    A special cold store for the heavy lambs paddy? So they don't get paid for any of the free meat? How do you know this?

No,not a special cold store.If a contract specs carcase weights of say between 19 and 21 kgs then there is no use sending 25kg lambs to this customer.

They of course get paid for meat sold but not all at premium price.For instance a 26kg carcase will be sold to a different customer/market than that of a 20kg carcase.
    Have you ever looked at your kill sheet and seen "destination" of lambs.Have seen 4 different storage on mine despite maybe a 5 kg difference in lamb weights and 1 fat score.

How do I know the above?
    Have sold a lot of lambs to a lot of factories/have worked in meat factory(only for a little while)/have family who have worked at the coal face of cattle and lamb processing for many years/have common sense to realise than if someone asks me for a certain size etc and I send something 20% bigger than required then of course I will face a reduction in price per kg.

No,not a special cold store.If a contract specs carcase weights of say between 19 and 21 kgs then there is no use sending 25kg lambs to this customer.

They of course get paid for meat sold but not all at premium price.For instance a 26kg carcase will be sold to a different customer/market than that of a 20kg carcase.
    Have you ever looked at your kill sheet and seen "destination" of lambs.Have seen 4 different storage on mine despite maybe a 5 kg difference in lamb weights and 1 fat score.

How do I know the above?
    Have sold a lot of lambs to a lot of factories/have worked in meat factory(only for a little while)/have family who have worked at the coal face of cattle and lamb processing for many years/have common sense to realise than if someone asks me for a certain size etc and I send something 20% bigger than required then of course I will face a reduction in price per kg.
    A 23kg carcass will go to to a different market than a 21.5 kg carcass. That's what you are telling me? How is that if lambs get scarce the posts without any issue. can move. Last February I sold hoggets and got paid up to 24 kgs at 6.50 a kg.

A 23kg carcass will go to to a different market than a 21.5 kg carcass. That's what you are telling me? How is that if lambs get scarce the posts without any issue. can move. Last February I sold hoggets and got paid up to 24 kgs at 6.50 a kg.

At times yes.
    Scarcity will of course see an increase in price,depending of course on the fact that demand exists for the product.
    Last Feb. your lambs were destined for a different market than those that I sold in June with a very much lower weight cut off.

Look I will just leave it at saying that I know what I am talking about and many years of arguing with some of my fellow farmers has convinced me that ignorance is bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Was standing at the scales one day and noted that the grader was diverting lambs 22-24kg, asked him what he as at, he said they were for a premium market in Belgium,
    Talked to the factory boss after, he said it would be a limited market, so while they can sell those bigger carcases, they can't sell a lot of them

At times yes.
    Scarcity will of course see an increase in price,depending of course on the fact that demand exists for the product.
    Last Feb. your lambs were destined for a different market than those that I sold in June with a very much lower weight cut off.

Look I will just leave it at saying that I know what I am talking about and many years of arguing with some of my fellow farmers has convinced me that ignorance is bliss.

Enlighten the ignorant then paddy. Where were my hoggets destined for last February? Why are fat ewes bringing more than lamb and is mutton marketed as mutton? How is all mince sold in I see on shelves in ireland called lamb mince?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Sea, I reckon the factory should be paying up to 22kg at this stage. Camolin gave us €4.60 up to 22kg on monday

Was that group or solo, I was told to ring back at 4 for Monday price, they wanted them today but haven't time to go up with them

Enlighten the ignorant then paddy. Where were my hoggets destined for last February? Why are fat ewes bringing more than lamb and is mutton marketed as mutton? How is all mince sold in I see on shelves in ireland called lamb mince?

Where to start?
    Sorry if the post came across poorly but at this stage trying to tell farmers the reasoning behind any weight limit/carcase spec is getting a bit wearing.

Fat ewes have a good trade usually in the UK due to the ethnic trade and the large number of people who use mutton/lamb and goat because of preference/religious dictat ect.

Lamb mince is used as the lamb consists of a few very low value pieces which are unsaleable other than being minced .This can be mixed through beef mince and sold as beef mince but would any butcher do such a thing to get rid of lamb ?Ask one the next time you meet one(but not in his place of work!)

Trying to think what you call the piece where the guy on the bandsaw cuts off the legs and chops in one piece.This part is usually what supermarkets etc buy and the front of the lamb goes elsewhere or into the cold store till maybe Christmas.

Catering trade usually take larger type pieces but wouldn't obv. give as much as the retail trade.
    Bord bia will tell you at any show/seminar/meeting you go to about the reasoning behind differing weight limits throughout the year.
    Some of it is to suit factory etc but in the main its due to different markets.
    Sitting here eating the dinner and looked at a few dockets from 2012.On one particular load of 47 lambs in October 2012 lambs(heaviest 23.5/lightest 16.7 ;getting near the end and shifting all the poor thrivers left on meal at this stage) with grades U and R 2 to 4 they were sent to 5 different chill rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

In producer group do that's all they were paying up to this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

Got €4.40 + €0.10 for lambs this morning in Camolin disappointed with the drop, hopefully the price wont fall below €4.50 all in.

ICM Navan were quoting me 430 plus 10 Friday and said with a struggle offered another 5c but didn't take it

Said if I got them up Friday I would get 4.55, was ripping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

In Fermoy today. Decent hogget ewes making €140.

Anyone here what the shippers in trim are giving this week? Heard they were paying well for lambs yesterday

Where to start?
    Sorry if the post came across poorly but at this stage trying to tell farmers the reasoning behind any weight limit/carcase spec is getting a bit wearing.

Fat ewes have a good trade usually in the UK due to the ethnic trade and the large number of people who use mutton/lamb and goat because of preference/religious dictat ect.

Lamb mince is used as the lamb consists of a few very low value pieces which are unsaleable other than being minced .This can be mixed through beef mince and sold as beef mince but would any butcher do such a thing to get rid of lamb ?Ask one the next time you meet one(but not in his place of work!)

Trying to think what you call the piece where the guy on the bandsaw cuts off the legs and chops in one piece.This part is usually what supermarkets etc buy and the front of the lamb goes elsewhere or into the cold store till maybe Christmas.

Catering trade usually take larger type pieces but wouldn't obv. give as much as the retail trade.
    Bord bia will tell you at any show/seminar/meeting you go to about the reasoning behind differing weight limits throughout the year.
    Some of it is to suit factory etc but in the main its due to different markets.
    Sitting here eating the dinner and looked at a few dockets from 2012.On one particular load of 47 lambs in October 2012 lambs(heaviest 23.5/lightest 16.7 ;getting near the end and shifting all the poor thrivers left on meal at this stage) with grades U and R 2 to 4 they were sent to 5 different chill rooms.

My cull ewes are 75kg, a dealer wants to buy them, they are well fleshed three quarter texel, what should they kill out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Been thinking about this weight thing and it's a crook of sh1t. Job Public couldn't give a fook.

Supermarkets being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

razor8 wrote: »
    Anyone here what the shippers in trim are giving this week? Heard they were paying well for lambs yesterday

I was offered €2.10/kg by him.

rangler1 wrote: »
    My cull ewes are 75kg, a dealer wants to buy them, they are well fleshed three quarter texel, what should they kill out

Mine averaged 45% but yours better shaped should be slightly more

I was offered €2.10/kg by him.

That's the figure I heard mentioned, that's way ahead of factory prices at the moment, do they have to be eid tagged?

That's the figure I heard mentioned, that's way ahead of factory prices at the moment, do they have to be eid tagged?

Sent 30 lambs today, av wt 46kg full straight of the field, made €95.40 minus €3 deductions, is there any deductions in Trim.
    whose buying, I'm only half an hour from Trim

• Advertisement

Sent 30 lambs today, av wt 46kg full straight of the field, made €95.40 minus €3 deductions, is there any deductions in Trim.
    whose buying, I'm only half an hour from Trim

My lambs dying bad at the moment, grading well but poor kill out, not sure what's wrong, haven't got sheet yet to go through it

Not sure if any deductions but I doubt there is

My lambs dying bad at the moment, grading well but poor kill out, not sure what's wrong, haven't got sheet yet to go through it

Not sure if any deductions but I doubt there is

Are they fat score 2 or 3, ours are all fat score 3 and are killing about 45%,
    Looks like the live trade is the way to go at the moment, everyone should support it if they can,
    Are yours ram lambs, camolin say there getting a lot of complaints about their KO

Are they fat score 2 or 3, ours are all fat score 3 and are killing about 45%,
    Looks like the live trade is the way to go at the moment, everyone should support it if they can,
    Are yours ram lambs, camolin say there getting a lot of complaints about their KO

36 ram lambs went and there were four R2 I think he said rest R3 and U3 so grading fine but kill out ****e, when I get sheet il know kill out but reckon around 41/42% or worse

36 ram lambs went and there were four R2 I think he said rest R3 and U3 so grading fine but kill out ****e, when I get sheet il know kill out but reckon around 41/42% or worse

Had one ram lamb yesterday ( missed in the rush at lambing), just checked the docket and surprise, he killed out......41%
    ICM were saying that it's worse this year. see John Fagan on farming indo saying he had to start feeding his ram lambs

Had one ram lamb yesterday ( missed in the rush at lambing), just checked the docket and surprise, he killed out......41%
    ICM were saying that it's worse this year. see John Fagan on farming indo saying he had to start feeding his ram lambs

Maybe it's the year, il not go in with meal yet anyway. 70 lambs on last years reseeding did 440 grams a day in 10 days so no problem gaining weight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Might have to start feeding here as well. Mine have stalled. Grass just isn't growing. Ground too dry

Maybe it's the year, il not go in with meal yet anyway. 70 lambs on last years reseeding did 440 grams a day in 10 days so no problem gaining weight

Simple solution, go to higher weights if you need to, to get21+kg

Simple solution, go to higher weights if you need to, to get21+kg

I'm feeding half of mine meal two weeks now. Ill weight them Tomo and let I know how much weight they put on. Looks like I have a load to go next week . Anyone get a quote for next week or today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »

Where is that. Presume that's just base price ex QA

Advertisement