Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Lambman wrote: »
    Made till change tags in 3 fat ewes today at Mart as they hadn't 2 tags they all had the eid in left ear but lost the other tag... Luckily I had tags in Jeep

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    FFS

Yea, have to have two tags now.
    Our groups trying to renew our deal with the factory at the moment and, to say the least, it's very depressing
    KT meeting here yesterday and 4.80 for next week was the talk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Made till change tags in 3 fat ewes today at Mart as they hadn't 2 tags they all had the eid in left ear but lost the other tag... Luckily I had tags in Jeep

Is it different then if it’s a new EID tag, as in part of a set, and they have lost one?

I’m sure I read that that’s OK but I suppose there’s no point in quoting an article from the Journal or boards.ie if the man at the mart is saying NO

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Is it different then if it’s a new EID tag, as in part of a set, and they have lost one?

I’m sure I read that that’s OK but I suppose there’s no point in quoting an article from the Journal or boards.ie if the man at the mart is saying NO

eid should be in the right ear so maybe he thought they wer'nt eid tagged.

in any case he was right ..mart sales = double tagged

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea, have to have two tags now.
    Our groups trying to renew our deal with the factory at the moment and, to say the least, it's very depressing
    KT meeting here yesterday and 4.80 for next week was the talk

Have you ever seen things this bad before? That is, it’s getting worse overall?

Or have we been here before and things will bounce back?

I’ve only been sheep farming since 2016 so not really aware of overall trends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Hard to know.. a lot of lambs be fitter earlier this year with grass so good all spring, will they settle later on in the year or soon enough or will they fall a lot more?
    Crystal ball time i am afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I remember my father barely getting 50 pound for 52-53 kg easter lambs one year about 20 odd years ago now

Quotes from Camolin last year on the journal,
    28th june .....€5.60 Kildare €5.70
    12th july .....€4.90 Kildare €5.00
    It just seems that the ares fell outa them earlier this year

They bottomed out around €4.50 after so hopefully it won't be any worse this year

ICSA protesting in Athleague on Monday, don't know if farmers standing at a gate with afarmers driving around them is going to help either

_blaaz wrote: »
    I remember my father barely getting 50 pound for 52-53 kg easter lambs one year about 20 odd years ago now

mid 1980's prices were very poor .. however that time money had great buying power

Think butchers lambs were making about £35, I reckon it was every bit as good as €200 to day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

orm0nd wrote: »
    mid 1980's prices were very poor .. however that time money had great buying power

Think butchers lambs were making about £35, I reckon it was every bit as good as €200 to day

I remember seeing a headline that we'd never again see a £50 lamb. That's just €63.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

I bought factory fit lambs for 30 pounds on average in sept 1992 butchers were making 40. I kept them till the following spring and they made 80 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

orm0nd wrote: »

Im.not that old :pac:

_blaaz wrote: »
    Im.not that old :pac:

I think it was 1967, I withdrew my lifetime savings from the post office and and under the guidance and advice of my uncle, purchased 10 ewe lambs.

In spite of attending numerous counselling sessions, I have been unable to quit this addiction.

BTW my lifetime savings at the time was 40 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Took 30 sheep till Mart yesterday took the 30 back home aswell. Never seen it as bad. Seen a single lamb 49kg texel x sold for €91... I knew then I'd be taking mines home again

Took 30 sheep till Mart yesterday took the 30 back home aswell. Never seen it as bad. Seen a single lamb 49kg texel x sold for €91... I knew then I'd be taking mines home again

What’s the plan for them now?

I was going to bring 20 ram lambs and 7 cull ewes to New Ross tomorrow but have been reconsidering after the last few days. There’s roughly 3 lots - 42-45kg, 35-40kg, and 30-35kg.

We’ve plenty grass so could run them on but my fear is that they’ll make little more in another month’s time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lots of lads bringing home their lambs in Baltinglass yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How is the cast ewe trade at the moment

What’s the plan for them now?

I was going to bring 20 ram lambs and 7 cull ewes to New Ross tomorrow but have been reconsidering after the last few days. There’s roughly 3 lots - 42-45kg, 35-40kg, and 30-35kg.

Imo 30-40kgs is too light to be selling any lamb as you'll only get 65 to 80 euro for them and if you have grass it definately doesn't make sense to sell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just goes to show the expensive bits of additional plastic creed is making people put in sheeps ears, are having no impact on the price we’re receiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Just goes to show the expensive bits of additional plastic creed is making people put in sheeps ears, are having no impact on the price we’re receiving.

Just ticking a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Don't know what the plan is with them now till be honest. I've no worries with grass anyways. May send the on till butcher weights now I'd say.

Any prices for this week yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

5.10 to 21kg all in icm. Two big lorries parked after unloading to greet local farmers.

Willfarman wrote: »
    5.10 to 21kg all in icm. Two big lorries parked after unloading to greet local farmers.

Is that Camolin, Are they Northern lorries, we've 900 going down today, big kill on so

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Do you need to ring ahead to book lambs into camolin or just turn up on the day. Have about 10 fit to go.

wrangler wrote: »
    Is that Camolin, Are they Northern lorries, we've 900 going down today, big kill on so
    Yesterday I was there.
    That’s the hoors. Inishowen blue one and a similar sized non descriptive red one.

foxirl wrote: »
    Do you need to ring ahead to book lambs into camolin or just turn up on the day. Have about 10 fit to go.

You have to ring for a day and a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Yesterday I was there.
    That’s the hoors. Inishowen blue one and a similar sized non descriptive red one.

Inishowen is in the republic...

• Advertisement

€105 for 41 kg lambs today

Advertisement