Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If they are big well fleshed ewes then better in the mart. 40kg is all those hoors in icm will pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone sell lambs this week - how are they going in marts.
    44 - 47kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yet again most of the factories aren't quoting this week, Our group needs them all to be quoting to set the base price, ICM are the only ones quoting and are always the poorest,
    Wonder are the other factories just trying to show us who's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Yet again most of the factories aren't quoting this week, Our group needs them all to be quoting to set the base price, ICM are the only ones quoting and are always the poorest,
    Wonder are the other factories just trying to show us who's boss.

Keep squeezing lads and there won’t be anyone left to squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

was watching tullow sale on line .. big sale ..

best trade for 30 to 40 kg and heavy ewes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

Keep squeezing lads and there won’t be anyone left to squeeze.

600 gave up sheep farming last year according to the farming independent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Wasn't 2 weeks ago I was on done deal passing time flicking through the sheep section and counted 4 ads off sheep dispersal sales in 10 days... will be in Mart this weekend as taking a few up for an elderly neighbour. I'd say them lambs at 30-40kg is being bought up by dairy men who have the silage saved already... That's usually the case around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

600 gave up sheep farming last year according to the farming independent today.

Not surprising. You can see it going similar to what happened in NZ. All the lads gave up sheep farming be cause of non existent returns and leased or swapped to dairy. Cannt expect lads to keep working for nothing. Easier and more profitable to go stacking shelves in lidl. Average industrial wage, at least €35k pa. Average sheep farmer wage 8-20k pa. Which is sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

orm0nd wrote: »
    was watching tullow sale on line .. big sale ..

best trade for 30 to 40 kg and heavy ewes

What did the 30kgs stores make?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

4.80 to 15 to 21kg base price +10c QA (im.not QA)

2.80 ewes......2.50 O2 grade ewes

4.50 upto 15 kg lambs

Ballyhaunis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

ganmo wrote: »

Store Lambs €68 to €84 or €42 to €48 over €/kg

I would have said those store lambs were dear enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

just ordered the first batch of store lambs from Kenmare mart , looking at around €65 plus transport, 28-35kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Dickie10 wrote: »
    just ordered the first batch of store lambs from Kenmare mart , looking at around €65 plus transport, 28-35kg

I imagine you'd want to buy a large number to make the transport work? (I think you're up the country a good bit from Kenmare)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

What breed?

credit due to them , they provide a good service, (for seller and purchaser)

yeah south meath , im getting 100 in first batch ill get another 100 in late august and see how i am then. i was talking to the mart manager he said there coming out slow enough demand is bigger than usual must be grass. he usually fills a larry around 300 lambs usually two or three stops in kildare and meath

ah there a super ran mart and service the manager is as honest a man you will meet he sometimes does deals with individual farmers in there yards which helps everyone. the farmers in west cork and Iveagh penninsulla could have to travel an hour or more to the mart. so some are happy to have them sold and picked up in yard.

sorry breeds are texel, suffolk and sometimes vendeen and charrollais cross from hill sheep

Hearing quotes of 4.60,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

5.00 yesterday inc. bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

sorry breeds are texel, suffolk and sometimes vendeen and charrollais cross from hill sheep

Are they good lambs from that part? I bought in Wicklow last year and was happy. Saw lads breeding nice CHx in Dingle last week. Nice looking stock. A lad told me to be wary of horned lambs.

A friend that keeps a few ewes wants me till buy his ram lambs off him as he wants them away from ewes 12 in total early March born good shapely lambs that are outta my texel ram I'd say half are 45+ others 35+... What would be a fair price over the whole lot? Thinking €85?

yeah horned lambs can be hard to flesh up, i came to the conclusion you are better off leave them on there own and they will flesh up around paddys say

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

5.10 all in today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lambman wrote: »
    A friend that keeps a few ewes wants me till buy his ram lambs off him as he wants them away from ewes 12 in total early March born good shapely lambs that are outta my texel ram I'd say half are 45+ others 35+... What would be a fair price over the whole lot? Thinking €85?

I would count that very fair to your friend....that's by looking at mart prices from internet. I haven't been to a mart in a while. Neither of your will have to pay mart fees either.

Yea I was working it out there at €2 a kilo and then 1.80 a kilo and there's is a big difference in lambs that weight... He's not ground restricted but he's field restricted if you know what I mean he has land but not separate enough fields till run ewes and ewe lambs and ram lambs... Another friend told me I'd be ok giving €2 for the lighter store lambs but not so much on the heavier lambs.

That's them bought give €2 a kg heaviest 56kg lightest 34kg... Ended up average off €82 a lamb. He got me on the heavy ones but I'll make a few pound on the lighter ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sample prices from Ballinasloe yesterday - terrible trade with approx half of the lots not sold.
    41kgs 85 euro
    43kgs 87 euro
    44kgs 88 euro
    47kgs 94 euro
    51kgs 100 euro
    Lighter stores made from 70 to 80 euro.

Very bad atmosphere there with most farmers rightly pi#*ed off with factory prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

When you say ordered if kenmare, does that mean you can ring them and tell them what your looking for a they'll buy them and arrange transport? Or have you to do that yourself??

Advertisement