Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah they have a man there all the time for transporting , €3 a head. i didnt buy any last year because i got a bad doing with drought. but the year before he dropped lambs in kildare, myself and laois on way back. had about 500 on lorry, he sets off around 7 pm and was with me around 12.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yeah they have a man there all the time for transporting , €3 a head. i didnt buy any last year because i got a bad doing with drought. but the year before he dropped lambs in kildare, myself and laois on way back. had about 500 on lorry, he sets off around 7 pm and was with me around 12.30
    Is it 3 euro for lambs or is that ewes aswell? And all Ireland delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Dickie10 wrote: »

What's the quality like? They should do well on better land.

there good quality , suffolk, texel and charrolais crosses , there born between april 1st and mid may and put up on the mountains until mid-late july. the last lambs i bought were from the Beara penninsulla, Kenmare and Dingle areas and some from west cork areas, the key thing is there grazing heathers and mountin grasses and do well when they get onto clover grasses. the other thing is there a young lamb between 12-16 weeks when i get them, the difference between buying a store there and one in a local mart is you could be buying just a poor thriver from poor breeding regime or badly managed lambs that are 15-20 month old and will always be poor quality. for all you know you could be buying a collection of pet lambs from a guy with 700 plus sheep who might have 30-60 pets a year and offload them as stores around 35 kg. i know a neighbour who has 1100 ewes and scans around 2.3 so he usually has near 100 pets artifically reared. around this time of year he offloads them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ICM quoting 4.60 today, that's 20c less than this week last year,
    Kildare quoting 4.75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    Kildare quoting 4.75

Is that up to 21.5kg wrangler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

Kildare quoting 4.75

Is there QA on top of that wrangler? What weight are they paying up to ?

Is there QA on top of that wrangler? What weight are they paying up to ?

Yea plus 10c qa up to 21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Kildare quoting 4.75

Seems like Larry is always leading the downward charge.

Sami23 wrote: »
    Is that up to 21.5kg wrangler ?

If ICM get their way the weight won't go up to 21.5 until the 1st sept instead of 1st August.
    So watch out for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Kildare quoting 4.75

Are yous tied into supplying icm with producer group....or can ye pull plug and move to kildare?

_blaaz wrote: »
    Are yous tied into supplying icm with producer group....or can ye pull plug and move to kildare?

No we're tied to iCM, but we usually do better than Kildare price,There's a change this year in our deal and not for the better so we decided to tolerate it for one year see how it goes. I have to travel 17 mls to meet the groups lorry but I'm only 40mls from Kildare so any little hiccup in the price difference could have me going to Kildare

No we're tied to iCM, but we usually do better than Kildare price,There's a change this year in our deal and not for the better so we decided to tolerate it for one year see how it goes. I have to travel 17 mls to meet the groups lorry but I'm only 40mls from Kildare so any little hiccup in the price difference could have me going to Kildare

Wouldnt blame ya tbh....why have loyalty to ICM if they want to screw over their suppliers

Id be within reasonable driving distance of camolin...but at those prices im better to pay e3 a lamb to send to kildare and collected at my farm....im not in any producer group/have enough lambs to drive a higher price (last lot of lambs sent to dawn in ballyhauinus via cork marts)

....but fcuk me do ICM try screw over lads esp since any sheep coming out of wexford i ever seen are usually of good quality and wouldnt be ould rubbishy lambs

_blaaz wrote: »
    Wouldnt blame ya tbh....why have loyalty to ICM if they want to screw over their suppliers

Id be within reasonable driving distance of camolin...but at those prices im better to pay e3 a lamb to send to kildare and collected at my farm....im not in any producer group/have enough lambs to drive a higher price (last lot of lambs sent to dawn in ballyhauinus via cork marts)

....but fcuk me do ICM try screw over lads esp since any sheep coming out of wexford i ever seen are usually of good quality and wouldnt be ould rubbishy lambs

When I used to have a lot of sheep and had a good number fit the group would send the lorry to our yard that day to collect the sheep so that was convenient,
    I've friends that supply Kildare and the only difference between my price and theirs was €2-3 in my favour which was taken by the haulier......... but I won't drive to Kildare for nothing either.
    Having less sheep now I wouldn't have the same clout with kildare as my friends so wouldn't be able to get a proper price,

Always deal with Kildare here. Feel as a a small producer, I’m 10c a kilo better off then icm even before you start the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Did it go till 21.5 in August last year Wrangler? I still never sent a lamb away the year yet weighed last week and have about 60 over 45 kgs at the min heaviest closer till 60kg. What did price bottom out at last year? Couldn't a been any lower than 4.60?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was going to camolin for a good few years and most of the time was happy enough. Had a good agent. 2 years ago I sent a bundle of heavy ewes all double tagged. Got cheque and paid on tag number for about half and rest were blank. Reckon the blanks I was done 25 to 30 a head.

Long story short I had some health issues at the time and last thing I wanted was hassle. A couple of phone calls got no more than broken promises.

Going to Kildare since as are a couple of my mates and so far so good.

Lambman wrote: »
    Did it go till 21.5 in August last year Wrangler? I still never sent a lamb away the year yet weighed last week and have about 60 over 45 kgs at the min heaviest closer till 60kg. What did price bottom out at last year? Couldn't a been any lower than 4.60?

You must have a butcher nearby when you're letting them go that heavy, ICM quoted 450 + QA for the last two weeks September and first two weeks in October up to 22kg from first of October but those with numbers would be getting 10- 20c more than that

orm0nd wrote: »
    Was going to camolin for a good few years and most of the time was happy enough. Had a good agent. 2 years ago I sent a bundle of heavy ewes all double tagged. Got cheque and paid on tag number for about half and rest were blank. Reckon the blanks I was done 25 to 30 a head.

Long story short I had some health issues at the time and last thing I wanted was hassle. A couple of phone calls got no more than broken promises.

Going to Kildare since as are a couple of my mates and so far so good.

ICM have very little interest in ewes a lot of our members go elsewhere with ewes

Yea have a butcher nearby but he had all his lambs killed for this week so hopefully get some away on Saturday now... We never talked money yet but all he did say is there is no want a butcher lambs about this year any lambs that were fed flew into big weights... He said he'd usually have till go till a Mart over an hour away at this time a year till buy butcher lambs but country's full a them. He usually only buys good texel type lambs but hopefully he will take my charrlois aswell. Do u wreckon prices will fall lower than this Wrangler?

• Advertisement

Yea have a butcher nearby but he had all his lambs killed for this week so hopefully get some away on Saturday now... We never talked money yet but all he did say is there is no want a butcher lambs about this year any lambs that were fed flew into big weights... He said he'd usually have till go till a Mart over an hour away at this time a year till buy butcher lambs but country's full a them. He usually only buys good texel type lambs but hopefully he will take my charrlois aswell. Do u wreckon prices will fall lower than this Wrangler?

Charrlois kill out very well IME,so should.do well

Will you get paid on kill out vs live price off your butcher?

Imported lambs from the north down 18% on this time last year but price is worse? I thought last year farmers in the north we're sending lambs across because they were scared off brexit and with it being kept pushed back maybe there not in as much off a panic this year? Factories might be thinking along the same lines and keeping the price down because they know them lambs are probably still out there.

Get paid live weight blaaz

It looks that it'll go down more doesn't it, northern lamb is only €4 already and next month English lamb will start to get plentiful going to France etc.
    Because of the way Beef price is I can't see them being as good as last year

It looks that it'll go down more doesn't it, northern lamb is only €4 already and next month English lamb will start to get plentiful going to France etc.
    Because of the way Beef price is I can't see them being as good as last year

Ironically, if we had a no deal brexit, the beef sector would be distroyed, but the sheep sector would probably go through the roof. Absolutely huge numbers of British lambs suddenly wouldn’t have access to French supermarkets.

Hard till know what way it's going till go. 400k+ northern lambs crossed the border last year. I think I averaged €94 last year across all lambs sold off grass all were gone I'd say by end a August no matter what weight. Remember getting 121 114 112 for first 3 lots off lambs sold till butcher last year all this time a year and later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ironically, if we had a no deal brexit, the beef sector would be distroyed, but the sheep sector would probably go through the roof. Absolutely huge numbers of British lambs suddenly wouldn’t have access to French supermarkets.

It’s hard to know...

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/will-britain-revert-to-a-cheap-food-policy-38335002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

And half of the eu's quota for new Zealand lamb would go to UK aswell iirc

And half of the eu's quota for new Zealand lamb would go to UK aswell iirc

At the moment Uk and Irish lamb compete for the same shelf space in France. I don’t know the answer, but does frozen Nz lamb compete against our fresh lamb ? or do they target a different end of the market ? But having more frozen nz around wouldn’t be great for us .

• Advertisement

this was mentioned to a man on the inside of ICM he came back with the scaremongering tactic that the lamb factory would have to shut in the morning , aul sobsob sad story. farmer co op should take over then and supply our own lambs straight!

Advertisement