Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lambman wrote: »
    Did it go till 21.5 in August last year Wrangler? I still never sent a lamb away the year yet weighed last week and have about 60 over 45 kgs at the min heaviest closer till 60kg. What did price bottom out at last year? Couldn't a been any lower than 4.60?

I'm in exact same position. Will weigh on Saturday but would have 60ish north of 45kg too. I have customers for a few dozen for freezer so might take a load of them. What to do then tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

White clover I dunno what till do. Have loads a grass so no bother on that end off things have 25 acres cut a week ago all coming back in for grazing and I can't keep ahead as it is. Do I go out and buy more stores? I would if I thought price has bottomed out but has it? Don't fancy making more bales as they'd hardly pay this year till sell them. Would consider buying feeding fat ewes seems a steady market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

450 base for next week ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm in exact same position. Will weigh on Saturday but would have 60ish north of 45kg too. I have customers for a few dozen for freezer so might take a load of them. What to do then tho?

I never saw any point in keeping lambs once they reach factory weight, granted you might get a good price for butchers lambs in the mart but this time of the year they're usually worth more at 45kg in june than 55kg in July. Selling lambs for the freezer isn't a great outlet by the time you take your time and everything into account. ......getting cash for them of course is a bonus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have a few heavies for the abbatoir and chatting to the owner , he says that mutton sales is way down for last couple of months compared to other years

this guy has 2 butcher stalls of his own and over the years has built up a fairly large customer base

he also only kills the best .. and matches or beats supermarket prices

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

orm0nd wrote: »
    have a few heavies for the abbatoir and chatting to the owner , he says that mutton sales is way down for last couple of months compared to other years

this guy has 2 butcher stalls of his own and over the years has built up a fairly large customer base

he also only kills the best .. and matches or beats supermarket prices

Fair play to him. There’s not many like that left.

Was talking to an uncle-in-law of mine during the week. He’s a butcher in the local village with the last 40-odd years. Reckons there’s only a few years left in it. The change started he said when wholesalers started selling meat direct to butchers for less than what it was costing them to source it locally themselves. Most customers didn’t care where it came from as long as the price was right. Unrelated but those same traditional butcher customers are a dying breed now too. He reckons he’s lost 17 of them in the last 6 months between them dying and moving into old folks homes, with the younger generations either buying from supermarkets or buying online from supermarkets.

Changed times indeed.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Friend sent me a picture message today off lambs he bought private says there in around 40kg maybe just shy off it €80. I said that's not 2 bad till which he replied I'm happy because called into Mart on way home and seen 38kg lambs making €90. Doesn't make sense that till me till get a 38kg lamb till 45+ off grass I estimate would take around 4.5 weeks so that's 4.5 weeks a keeping them till get paid at say €4.60kg and say till 22kg all killing out full weight is €101.20. big risk small reward.

Sold 14 a my texel rams till that butcher today Wrangler €2.15 up to first 50kg €1.8 per kg every extra kg over that.

Lambman wrote: »
    Sold 14 a my texel rams till that butcher today Wrangler €2.15 up to first 50kg €1.8 per kg every extra kg over that.

You've really fed them for a month or two for nothing, the 60kg would be worth more when they were 40kg..... especially if you're feeding meal.
    It's a good price for the day though, he wouldn't have to give it in the mart to get them

Good prices achieved in Tullamore today at the Charollais premier, anyone at it, OH and I travelled in in separate vehicles and I hadn't even the interest to wait for the sale to start.....changed times eh !!!!! OH sat through the most of it

• Advertisement

Not feeding meal never do... I just don't see the point in me sending my lambs till factory for €100 and going and buying stores for mad money till graze grass I can't keep on top off. €117 average on 14 lambs

Dickie10 wrote: »
    this was mentioned to a man on the inside of ICM he came back with the scaremongering tactic that the lamb factory would have to shut in the morning , aul sobsob sad story. farmer co op should take over then and supply our own lambs straight!

Another large sheepfarmer (1000 ewes) near here getting out, converting to dairying, If processors don't get their finger out and sell our lamb instead of giving it away they will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    Another large sheepfarmer (1000 ewes) near here getting out, converting to dairying, If processors don't get their finger out and sell our lamb instead of giving it away they will be closed

There’s a serious amount of clearance sales on done deal. Are processors even aware of this?

Farmers journal should be printing this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

razor8 wrote: »
    There’s a serious amount of clearance sales on done deal. Are processors even aware of this?

Farmers journal should be printing this

I think the success of the sheep enterprise in Tullamore Farm relative to their beef system has coloured the FJ’s view of sheep at the moment

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I think the success of the sheep enterprise in Tullamore Farm relative to their beef system has coloured the FJ’s view of sheep at the moment

Is it not a business decision in that sheep are paying better than beef and the present manager likes sheep. Apart from dairyng all farm enterprises are in a quagmire, even Justin himself said that dairying is the way they should be going.
    I definitely wouldn't count the change to sheep as the FJs preference, they've opted for a drystock project and sheep is the least worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Unfortunately, as a sector, we’re way down the list of importance for the govt. I cannt see any new entrants to the sector, unless as a hobby. Its ceased to be something you could consider to support a family on. The most basic entry level jobs in industry pays multiples of what the average sheep enterprise makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Unfortunately, as a sector, we’re way down the list of importance for the govt. I cannt see any new entrants to the sector, unless as a hobby. Its ceased to be something you could consider to support a family on. The most basic entry level jobs in industry pays multiples of what the average sheep enterprise makes.

I think it ceased to be something you could raise a family on a while ago, and the same could be said of all farming sectors aside from dairy really...

We might like to produce food, but it would seem the public / market don’t really want us to, or they aren’t prepared to pay for it.
    I think the future for farming could be energy - but I don’t think there is any interest from government in supporting this... :(

I think the future for farming could be energy - but I don’t think there is any interest from government in supporting this... :(

I like the idea of solar panels and sheep grazing clover rich fields underneath. Maybe when the govt finally gets the finger out !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I like the idea of solar panels and sheep grazing clover rich fields underneath. Maybe when the govt finally gets the finger out !!!

What'll we do when thistles take over?

Cant see how extensive spraying can align with green policies :pac:

_blaaz wrote: »
    What'll we do when thistles take over?

Cant see how extensive spraying can align with green policies :pac:

Weed lickers !!! Their going to keep tightening the noose, and want no one to spray anything, either that or we’ll all be keeping thistle eating goats.

• Advertisement

Weed lickers !!! Their going to keep tightening the noose, and want no one to spray anything, either that or we’ll all be keeping thistle eating goats.

Robot mowers, same technology as the lawn mowers, could be running around mowing a bit higher than the sheep are grazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Weed lickers are due to need inspection from next year, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Robot mowers, same technology as the lawn mowers, could be running around mowing a bit higher than the sheep are grazing

A sure with the emissions the sheep would have to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

Are store lambs a better trade at the minute compared to heavy lambs??

Seems till be the way dj98... Grass everywere up here the dairy men flat out buying silages is all in and good regrowth hoping till finish them on grass I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Any quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

€4.60
    €4.70 inc bonus
    icm

Lord jaysus that’s poor. I think I’ll have to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

just after looking at dispatch book there
    got €5.15 same week last year would
    really piss you off :mad:

• Advertisement

Lambs out of tullow mart are standing them at least 4.80 a kg + mart commission + buyers fee + transport. Contemptible pricks in that office in icm. “buyers” they title themselves. They are simply Larries lackies robbing their neighbors. They’d have been the landlords rate collectors in generations past.

Advertisement