Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I'm getting paid till alot heavier weight though and the factories hasn't any free meat or profit out off any a my lambs. Its good till see the beef men growing a set and not sending cattle till they get a decent price. Sheep men should a being doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

wrangler wrote: »
    Be very poor form of BP to block lamb kill now. Kepak and ICM will just source them in their English factories if they can't get them here

Are the IFA doing anything to help the sheep farmer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

If they kill 20kgs(hard to tell without seeing the actual lamb) then that's 95 euro at 4;75 before paying mart commission and hauling them.
    Even at 5 euro its 100 a head
    Haven't been in a mart in years so no idea on charges..Maybe 1;50 a head.Easily another euro to haul them ,take kill charges of 82 cent a head there is no fortune in that

Fair points. They were mostly Charolais crosses so would expect them to kill at the 21kg but as you say you never know.
    Suppose I'm a bit old fashioned in that I think a 45kg lamb is worth 100 at a minimum any time of year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Robson99 wrote: »
    Are the IFA doing anything to help the sheep farmer ?

The plan was to meet with retailers and factories at the end of July, and to hold off on factory protests until after those meetings took place.

Not sure what's happened since then or if those meetings have since taken place.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The plan was to meet with retailers and factories at the end of July, and to hold off on factory protests until after those meetings took place.

Not sure what's happened since then or if those meetings have since taken place.

I think they met one factory last week....that must've been weird

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    I'm getting paid till alot heavier weight though and the factories hasn't any free meat or profit out off any a my lambs. Its good till see the beef men growing a set and not sending cattle till they get a decent price. Sheep men should a being doing the same.

Were you not selling last Saturday, I've always said that circa €100 is grand for lambs at this time of the year, Beef plan shouldn't stop sheep lorries

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Were you not selling last Saturday, I've always said that circa €100 is grand for lambs at this time of the year, Beef plan shouldn't stop sheep lorries

The last meeting I was at took place before the Beef Plan started the protest. The feeling then was that beef farmers were under more pressure than sheep farmers, so if sheep farmers went out protesting it might have deflected from the beef crisis and made things even worse for beef lads.

Since the sheep lads were willing not to steal the beef thunder, then perhaps the Beef Plan might in turn not stop sheep lorries?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Yea Wrangler I sold till a butcher last Saturday and will be this Saturday aswell.

The last meeting I was at took place before the Beef Plan started the protest. The feeling then was that beef farmers were under more pressure than sheep farmers, so if sheep farmers went out protesting it might have deflected from the beef crisis and made things even worse for beef lads.

Since the sheep lads were willing not to steal the beef thunder, then perhaps the Beef Plan might in turn not stop sheep lorries?

They're not stopping sheep lorries I hear,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

They're not stopping sheep lorries I hear,

Dash cam evidence of lorry being held for 2 hours and threatening and abusive behaviour to driver. Including threatening to burn the lorry.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Dash cam evidence of lorry being held for 2 hours and threatening and abusive behaviour to driver. Including threatening to burn the lorry.

Feck them, are you winding me up (everyone else seems to be)
    Sheep trade is none of their business,

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

What factory? If they go down that road they are wasting their time

Feck them, are you winding me up (everyone else seems to be)
    Sheep trade is none of their business,

I posted in the other thread ( I think not sure where I'm posting anymore) that a few of us planned on riding shotgun this morning,

I posted a little white lie 'cos I know, I'm know here and else where on social media.

Instead we put the guts of 400 lambs into lairage yesterday , penned and bedded on straw and given hay and had water, they were to be killed from 6.30 this morning

they're were no protesters on duty but we were going in one way or another

The video is genuine and will be used and made available if needed.

Edit. we had more than dash cam recording facilities availabale y/day if needed

What kinda money did yous get for the lambs Ormond?

I posted in the other thread ( I think not sure where I'm posting anymore) that a few of us planned on riding shotgun this morning,

I posted a little white lie 'cos I know, I'm know here and else where on social media.

Instead we put the guts of 400 lambs into lairage yesterday , penned and bedded on straw and given hay and had water, they were to be killed from 6.30 this morning

they're were no protesters on duty but we were going in one way or another

The video is genuine and will be used and made available if needed.

Edit. we had more than dash cam recording facilities availabale y/day if needed

drive on, gloves are off if they think the lamb trade is their business, we've waited a long time for prices to rise

drive on, gloves are off if they think the lamb trade is their business, we've waited a long time for prices to rise

This is just muslim festival, demand won't last long,

What do other sheep farmers think (apart from those selling to butchers) does prices warrant blocking a lamb factory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/farmers/prices-markets/deadweight-lamb-prices/

not really, world lamb prices seem down on last year so we'll only be shooting ourselves in the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

What do other sheep farmers think (apart from those selling to butchers) does prices warrant blocking a lamb factory

It’s getting close to that scenario. If we could get a average of 110 for lamb I think we all would be content. That’s about €5 to €7 each for the processor & retailer to absorb. Surely achievable

Killed today and only came into €95. Very demoralizing when all other costs are climbing year on year eg feed, contractors, vetinerary

Have till agree with razor costs year on year are rising and lamb prices falling wool falling and the extra cost off double tagging this year. People giving out about beef but at least it fell across everything like you can go and buy cows with calves or in calf cows cheaper because beef is cheaper you can't go buy ewes with lambs or in lamb any cheaper because lamb is down. I know it's always poor this time a year but with the extra costs it shouldn't be this bad and going by the amount off men selling out flocks alot off people feel the same.

• Advertisement

Have till agree with razor costs year on year are rising and lamb prices falling wool falling and the extra cost off double tagging this year. People giving out about beef but at least it fell across everything like you can go and buy cows with calves or in calf cows cheaper because beef is cheaper you can't go buy ewes with lambs or in lamb any cheaper because lamb is down. I know it's always poor this time a year but with the extra costs it shouldn't be this bad and going by the amount off men selling out flocks alot off people feel the same.

I've had so much experience of protesting and waste of time it is that I'd like to see a guarantee of an increase of €1/kg before i'd be happy with them mucking up the trade now
    A huge proportion of the years lambs will be sold in the next 3mths, factories could hangus out for the next three mths and get their lambs across the water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have till agree with razor costs year on year are rising and lamb prices falling wool falling and the extra cost off double tagging this year. I know it's always poor this time a year but with the extra costs it shouldn't be this bad and going by the amount off men selling out flocks alot off people feel the same.

I’m planning on culling at least 30% of flock after weaning, maybe more. No point in being a busy fool when we’re not properly rewarded for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I got 30 cent a kg for horned wool today..madness has to be something we can do with it. Or get a student to research opportunities for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

razor8 wrote: »
    It’s getting close to that scenario. If we could get a average of 110 for lamb I think we all would be content. That’s about €5 to €7 each for the processor & retailer to absorb. Surely achievable

Fully agree

Ard_MC wrote: »
    I got 30 cent a kg for horned wool today..madness has to be something we can do with it. Or get a student to research opportunities for it.

Our lamb group along with another lamb group have sponsored a student.
    Wonder will she come up with breakthrough

1 thing that's in our favour that it's been a fantantic year for thrive and grass growth , great savings on meal for the earlies

1 guy y/day had about 35 ch off mule ewes , a grand even bunch but were over weight , he didn't mind . . he's working and was busy till now and said they didn't cost him anything only helped to keep the grass down

Our lamb group along with another lamb group have sponsored a student.
    Wonder will she come up with breakthrough

So much for my brainwave driving home wrangler. Ye are away ahead of me! If theres any updates could you let me know. Be better going to a charity for somethin than taking that for it.

Not for me to be honest. Sell my xbreds as stores and they are going fine and keep my horned lambs on grass till end of oct and finish Dec to feb. Its worked for me the last few years.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    So much for my brainwave driving home wrangler. Ye are away ahead of me! If theres any updates could you let me know. Be better going to a charity for somethin than taking that for it.

Yea our group has a good bit of money and are always looking for something like that, we brought a guy from England a couple years ago to explain grading, he was very good graded the lambs live and then went to the factory with our group and graded them dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I know these protests were originally organised by the beef plan, but I think all sheep farmers should take this opportunity to look for better sheep prices aswell. I was at a protest myself tonight and was thinking to myself that if the factories give better prices for beef and the protests stop, there will be a surge of lamb coming through afterwards which will lead to even worse lamb prices.

Advertisement