Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

They can hang us out till dry surely but what do we do no money in beef and don't fancy burying myself in debt till start milking haven't the ground for it anyways. Great year for grass which is why I'm in no panic till sell. When u think back and I have said it on here at the time there was no talk off exporters for the Muslim festival this year compared till the previous years why was that? Did they the processors tie that up someway aswell till keep a cap on prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Anyone getting €5?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Willfarman wrote: »
    Anyone getting €5?

Yea, inspec should make over 5

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea our group has a good bit of money and are always looking for something like that, we brought a guy from England a couple years ago to explain grading, he was very good graded the lambs live and then went to the factory with our group and graded them dead

I’ve half looked into setting up a producer group but not really sure how to get going. Yours sounds very well run and progressive. Is there any tips you’d like to share re getting one set up and managing it?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I’ve half looked into setting up a producer group but not really sure how to get going. Yours sounds very well run and progressive. Is there any tips you’d like to share re getting one set up and managing it?

We're set up under ICOS as a limited cooperative to protect individual members,
    Icos provide help with the legal aspects of setting up, We're set up fifty years but formally forty years, A good coordinator is vital and so is loyalty from the farmers. Our coordinatoor is the success of our group.
    Send us your Email and I'll get OH to put something together and if you had a reason to be in the midlands we could meet you.

• Advertisement

Yea, inspec should make over 5

lambs averaged 21kg and made 105 before deductions Us were 510 but lambs killed out welland some of the Rs were over weight and only made 4.90 so average €5/kg, average live weight was 43.6,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Icos provide help with the legal aspects of setting up, We're set up fifty years but formally forty years, A good coordinator is vital and so is loyalty from the farmers. Our coordinatoor is the success of our group.
    Send us your Email and I'll get OH to put something together and if you had a reason to be in the midlands we could meet you.

Fair plate to you wrangler. Very decent of you help out someone like that .

Thanks a million.

I’ll send you a DM now with the email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Lambman wrote: »
    They can hang us out till dry surely but what do we do no money in beef and don't fancy burying myself in debt till start milking haven't the ground for it anyways. Great year for grass which is why I'm in no panic till sell. When u think back and I have said it on here at the time there was no talk off exporters for the Muslim festival this year compared till the previous years why was that? Did they the processors tie that up someway aswell till keep a cap on prices?

There's a man from the roscommon galway border buying ram lambs 45kg paying to 50kg, can be no movements,doesn't buy in the mart, just weigh in a mart, 2.15kg. Don't know where but going for export.

That's poor money factory better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Similar question to above.

Normally all lambs would be sold as stores but we have kept on a load with all the grass. Have about 60 in total, with maybe 20 currently 47kg plus.

Have heard a few stories about guys going to factories and the carcass weights not matching the animals that went in.

A guy in Ballina buys lambs, he uses a Mart to weigh and collect them. Think his name is Burke but not sure.I think currently he was offering 2euro per kg for lambs weighing 42-50kg, if over 50kg you get paid as a 50kg lamb.

Since we haven't kept lambs before I'm a bit clueless when it comes to what prices to expect.

In no rush to sell the lambs as we have plenty of grass so will be keeping them into September.

Again €2 a kg till 50kg ain't no good you'd a been better sending 45kg lambs till factory... hard till know what till do. Thinking a taking out another 12 acres for silage and getting rid off all the ram lambs over next fortnight. Don't need the bales but hard till know what way lambs are gonna go even though there starting till head in the right direction... leave things easier for me only running 1 batch a ewe lambs aswell. Neighbour sold 44.5kg ewe lambs €98 and ram lambs same weight €96 on Saturday.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Similar question to above.

Normally all lambs would be sold as stores but we have kept on a load with all the grass. Have about 60 in total, with maybe 20 currently 47kg plus.

Have heard a few stories about guys going to factories and the carcass weights not matching the animals that went in.

A guy in Ballina buys lambs, he uses a Mart to weigh and collect them. Think his name is Burke but not sure.I think currently he was offering 2euro per kg for lambs weighing 42-50kg, if over 50kg you get paid as a 50kg lamb.

Since we haven't kept lambs before I'm a bit clueless when it comes to what prices to expect.

In no rush to sell the lambs as we have plenty of grass so will be keeping them into September.

We starve lambs for about three hours before we weigh them, they then killout around the same percent, we have weighed them coming into the yard and then three hours later and have found them losing one to three kig and even some up to four kgs of ****e and ours are castrated, ram lambs balls could be a kilogram, so you can see where the difference in KO is,

Any reports on prices neighbour got 4.90 on Monday but says there back 10c since still only paying till 21kg

In general do prices begin to come back down as the summer comes to an end?

In general do prices begin to come back down as the summer comes to an end?

Have a look at the 3rd last page of the Journal any week and you’ll see the trend and prices for the last few years.

I think the same graphs might be on the Bord Bia website too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Have a look at the 3rd last page of the Journal any week and you’ll see the trend and prices for the last few years.

I think the same graphs might be on the Bord Bia website too

Its not available on the new bord bia site for some reason

Reading in the indo, that no deal brexit will have serious consequences for pig sector but will see sheep prices rise between 9-12%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

sheep factories are whinging they may have to shut down now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Dickie10 wrote: »
    sheep factories are whinging they may have to shut down now!

They're playing the 'look at all the jobs' card

• Advertisement

Reading in the indo, that no deal brexit will have serious consequences for pig sector but will see sheep prices rise between 9-12%

What explanation do they give for this rise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What explanation do they give for this rise?

I'm assuming that no more sheep will be 'legally' crossing the border so sheep numbers available for factories in the south should be down. But there's more crossing from north to south on the border than there is across the entire eastern borders of the EU, supposedly, so nothing much is going to change.

I'm assuming that no more sheep will be 'legally' crossing the border so sheep numbers available for factories in the south should be down. But there's more crossing from north to south on the border than there is across the entire eastern borders of the EU, supposedly, so nothing much is going to change.

It’s in the farm Ireland/ indo, dated yesterday. Says 14% of total factory kill is from the north and won’t be coming in event of no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thing is though if Beef sector is struggling for next few years you could see people with farms not suitable/viable for dairying getting into sheep which would eventually lead to a depression in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

It’s in the farm Ireland/ indo, dated yesterday. Says 14% of total factory kill is from the north and won’t be coming in event of no deal.

So why would it not be coming in? Arent lambs being imported into EU from Aus/NZ?

Also all english lamb will have to pay a tariff going into europe so they'll have to export to somewhere else if they want a sustainable price. There was even talk of a mass cull of lamb after BREXIT
    England is a huge competitor for our EU markets, Their lamb coming in to the EU markets would be the main reason for the huge reduction in price from july to december

There’s 2.5 million ewes in Ireland versus 13.5 million ewes in the Uk. They’d be our main competitor on eu shelves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

arctictree wrote: »
    So why would it not be coming in? Arent lambs being imported into EU from Aus/NZ?

Like wrangler said above, they'd have to pay a large tariff coming in across the border to be killed.

Assuming they would be crossing and declaring at the designated crossing points, of course.

I'm going to be a killjoy here and suggest that farm-gate prices won't rise after Brexit.

The man at the bottom will never be rewarded as everyone else in the supply chain will simply take any increase that might come. That's how the system is set up - retailers and processors control the whole shebang.

Unless the Western world changes how it's governed from the top-down, or consumers somehow change their eating habits from the bottom-up, then us farmers just have to accept our minor role in the modern world.

Enjoy the fresh air, be thankful you have a job that keeps you connected to the earth, and f*ck the rest of the greedy b*stards who "add value" to what we produce

• Advertisement

Assuming they would be crossing and declaring at the designated crossing points, of course.

You're not saying there might be, what, some smuggling going on, are you???

Advertisement