Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There’s 2.5 million ewes in Ireland versus 13.5 million ewes in the Uk. They’d be our main competitor on eu shelves

If the tariff was 25% (and there's even talk of 40%) English lambs could only make €80 + €20 tariff to compete with irish lambs going in to Europe at €100,
    €80 wouldn't be sustainable long term but I wouldn't be surprised if they were dumped in this year at it until they get their ducks in a row and export elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You're not saying there might be, what, some smuggling going on, are you???

I'm just saying one or two might escape down a back road in the middle of the night without ear tags and accidentally get mixed up in a pen of lambs just due to be loaded into a lorry to travel to the factory.

Accidentally, like.

Down lots of roads.

On lots of nights.

Pure accident, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You're not saying there might be, what, some smuggling going on, are you???

Never :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm just saying one or two might escape down a back road in the middle of the night without ear tags and accidentally get mixed up in a pen of lambs just due to be loaded into a lorry to travel to the factory.

Accidentally, like.

Down lots of roads.

On lots of nights.

Pure accident, like.

Can't see how that could ever lead to issues around disease control, animal welfare, etc.

Isn't it great how a stroke of a pen can create conditions that promote what us farmers get hammered to reduce?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the department would want to be put on to this and irish farmers keep that sort of idea under scrutiny and pressurise the dept to keep an eye on it. i think the price we get from april -july when lambs are scarce is probably what we will get maybe 9 months instead of 3 months. i get a good few calls every year looking for lambs usually from december to may, when lambs can be hard got. does anyone ever get calls from the beef factories looking for cattle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Neighbour in North Mayo telling me 2day that there was something in the farming indo this week about lamb prices actually going up in a hard brexit situation - anyone know how that is??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

What are 30-35kg lowland stores making atm ? Had a neighbour enquiring and I want to be fair to him, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

What are 30-35kg lowland stores making atm ? Had a neighbour enquiring and I want to be fair to him, thanks

Around 60 to 70 in Coothill Wednesday night. Was jammed with sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Store Lambs under 35Kgs €58 to €77 or €34 to €42 over €/kg
    Blessington last tue

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

2.10 to 2.20 €/kg seems to b the going rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

eorna wrote: »
    2.10 to 2.20 €/kg seems to b the going rate.

As stores or do you mean per kg live weight in the factory?

JJayoo wrote: »
    As stores or do you mean per kg live weight in the factory?
    Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Not getting that up this side of the country. We usually go to two marts, Ballina in Mayo and Coollaney in Sligo.

I have a bunch of 15 well fleshed lambs all 46kg plus, 3 are over 50. A guy buys from the mart in ballina on Thursdays and at the moment it's 2 euro per kg live weight. He brings them straight to the factory

Have another 30 lambs that are 40-45kg so hopefully will sell them the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not getting that up this side of the country. We usually go to two marts, Ballina in Mayo and Coollaney in Sligo.

I have a bunch of 15 well fleshed lambs all 46kg plus, 3 are over 50. A guy buys from the mart in ballina on Thursdays and at the moment it's 2 euro per kg live weight. He brings them straight to the factory

Have another 30 lambs that are 40-45kg so hopefully will sell them the same way.

Could you take them to ballyhaunis yourself? Cut out the middle man.

Yes that seems to be the trade.
    2€/kg for heavier lambs.
    2.10/20 €/kg for lighter stores
    The question was lambs 30-35kg.
    You definetly better factorying heavier lambs.. not always suits everybody though.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Is rams lambs easier bought than ewe lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Any quotes this week hearing base off €4.70?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Lambman wrote: »
    Any quotes this week hearing base off €4.70?

Killed lambs yesterday in ballyhaunis, nearly died when I opened the check there €4.40 base + 15c qa 🀬

Sent last night for today's kill in ICM 4.70 base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Sent last night for today's kill in ICM 4.70 base.

You sure the 4.70 your getting isnt a flat rate??

Are you in a group?

ICM are quoting a base of 4.50

• Advertisement

Could be razor I'm not QA anyways

razor8 wrote: »

ICM are quoting a base of 4.50

Whenever I look at the quotes, icm always seem to be the first ones pushing towards the bottom. Always give my lambs to anyone else if possible. What weights are factories paying to atm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Whenever I look at the quotes, icm always seem to be the first ones pushing towards the bottom. Always give my lambs to anyone else if possible. What weights are factories paying to atm ?

Only paying to 21, top weights including group bonus’s not even making €100 now

Lads how can I find out what my lambs killed like today... We're killed in ICM camolin.

Emailed them there just got 20.34@94.56 as the reply from a dermot o Sullivan nothing else... poor money

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Emailed them there just got 20.34@94.56 as the reply from a dermot o Sullivan nothing else... poor money

Poor money. Those get any feedin or of grass?

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Poor money. Those get any feedin or of grass?

Off grass no feeding ram lambs... Disappointed in them. Would I be right in saying the made near enough €4.65 a kg

razor8 wrote: »
    Only paying to 21, top weights including group bonus’s not even making €100 now

Fair disappointing, shouldn’t be any reason not to pay us up to 23kg year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭White Clover

The 10er per ewe that we thought we saved on feeding this spring is well gone now with them robbing a 10er per lamb from us.
    Why aren't they paying to at least 21.5 now at this day of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Off grass no feeding ram lambs... Disappointed in them. Would I be right in saying the made near enough €4.65 a kg

You did well to even get 4.65 when they are quoting 4.50 especially as you are not in quality assurance. Did they quote you thatv over the phone? Did you have many going in?

Advertisement