Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

sea12 wrote: »
    Where is that. Presume that's just base price ex QA

Navan, producer group and yup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Agent offered 4.60 inc. QA last Thursday for Friday.Had only 10 or so even near fit so left it.
    Price seems to be steadying out.Still good demand for cast ewes it seems.Heard stores were a better trade last week in the marts.Nice late 30s ewe lambs would cost up to 80.Wethers not a lot less.

Agent offered 4.60 inc. QA last Thursday for Friday.Had only 10 or so even near fit so left it.
    Price seems to be steadying out.Still good demand for cast ewes it seems.Heard stores were a better trade last week in the marts.Nice late 30s ewe lambs would cost up to 80.Wethers not a lot less.
    Sold ewe lambs here last week and got 100 for Chev cross lambs

ganmo wrote: »
    Sold ewe lambs here last week and got 100 for Chev cross lambs

Thats a good price.
    What weights?
    Were they suitable for breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

Sold 35kg ewe lambs at the mart yesterday made 74e. rams lambs didn't do as well 42kgs got 80e

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

skoger wrote: »
    Sold 35kg ewe lambs at the mart yesterday made 74e. rams lambs didn't do as well 42kgs got 80e

Trying to buy a few store over the last few weeks. Nothing I'd bring home under€75. But I have a gut feeling they're a fair punt.

38kg, was among the better prices on the day alright
    they were well marked Chev x suffolk
    ...would make better hoggots IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

ganmo wrote: »
    38kg, was among the better prices on the day alright
    they were well marked Chev x suffolk
    ...would make better hoggots IMO

Got the cheque for lambs today. Average 94. Few light ones brought it down. Still slightly disappointed with the kill out as they had been on meal for 2 weeks . Hard to get them to the 21.5 dead weight. May let us get a bit heavier. All killing out at U2 though so at least getting the bonus on that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Got the cheque for lambs today. Average 94. Few light ones brought it down. Still slightly disappointed with the kill out as they had been on meal for 2 weeks . Hard to get them to the 21.5 dead weight. May let us get a bit heavier. All killing out at U2 though so at least getting the bonus on that,

how much meal, it'll be another two week before you'll see the benefit of the meal. you must have nice lambs, all Us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Cran

4.55 for Monday to 22, not much of a stir on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

rangler1 wrote: »
    how much meal, it'll be another two week before you'll see the benefit of the meal. you must have nice lambs, all Us

Only getting about 0.2kg a head. On good sheep grass aswell.,
    Yep delighted with lambs this year since changed from suffolk rams to Charolais

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Got cheque for lambs I sent off today...

Disappointed with the results, the average weight wasn't too much above the 20kg - and they were paying up to 22 kg :(
    Average price was $91 :(

One lad was an R4, and killed out at 22kg - so whilst he didn't get the extra 10c bonus, he still left more money after him, due to the weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Got cheque for lambs I sent off today...

Disappointed with the results, the average weight wasn't too much above the 20kg - and they were paying up to 22 kg :(
    Average price was $91 :(

One lad was an R4, and killed out at 22kg - so whilst he didn't get the extra 10c bonus, he still left more money after him, due to the weight...

What did they average live weight, killed some last Friday week, killed out less than 41% and were over 50kg average, think it's common complaint in factory UJ

razor8 wrote: »
    What did they average live weight, killed some last Friday week, killed out less than 41% and were over 50kg average, think it's common complaint in factory UJ

I don't have all the numbers, but they were 47 - 50kg. Average about 49kg I'd say.
    So they would have killed about the 41 - 42% as well... :(

I though they'd do better (I knew one lad was a bit light all right, but I said feck it, and threw him in) :(

4.60 today up to 22kgs for ICM.Just in the door after dropping down a few.

Hear people saying killout is poor but at this time of year its to be expected as those lambs being killed now are in most cases coming off middling grass with not a lot of meal and would be the same age as those we killed in June in many cases.

What I killed today were the last to be sold without any meal as have started the remainder on meal last weekend.Would have averaged about 45 to 47 kgs and hoping for a 20 to 21 kg carcase average.Mainly rams with a few Char. ewe lambs mixed through them.

Averaging 94 or 95 euro aint great but without meal expense it isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

When lambs are fed do you go for high kill out (22kg) or leave them lighter at 19.5/20kg and get the money, save on feeding and run for the hills?? Never know whats best approach

eorna wrote: »
    When lambs are fed do you go for high kill out (22kg) or leave them lighter at 19.5/20kg and get the money, save on feeding and run for the hills?? Never know whats best approach

I find whatever one you chose, you always end up thinking you should have done the opposite... ;)

For the ones I have left, I plan on leaving em go as is, I should have good aftergrass coming, so they are stay on for a good bit. Leave em put on cheap weight for a good bit, then maybe horse some feed into em for a short bit at the end... Will see how they do...

I find whatever one you chose, you always end up thinking you should have done the opposite... ;)

For the ones I have left, I plan on leaving em go as is, I should have good aftergrass coming, so they are stay on for a good bit. Leave em put on cheap weight for a good bit, then maybe horse some feed into em for a short bit at the end... Will see how they do...

My moneys on that they're not going to go down....much, so I 'm going for weight, last load killed at 45%, so tomorrows load av is 47.3 hope the KO stays where it is
    Still 120 lambs to go after tomorrows

rangler1 wrote: »
    My moneys on that they're not going to go down....much, so I 'm going for weight, last load killed at 45%, so tomorrows load av is 47.3 hope the KO stays where it is
    Still 120 lambs to go after tomorrows

Yeah, would agree with you Rangler.

I think there has been a lot of lambs killed this year so far, so I expect that prices will be up again the end of the year...

But I guess I am biased too ;)

Yeah, would agree with you Rangler.

I think there has been a lot of lambs killed this year so far, so I expect that prices will be up again the end of the year...

But I guess I am biased too ;)

Haven't the dockets, but my lambs made €96.74 today so they would have killed out 45% to do that.....47.3 kgs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Went to Baltinglass this morning with 6 lambs and a few culls. Was a bit dissapointed. Weighed the lambs at 46kg last Saturday but they only tipped 43kg on the scales at the mart. Got 85 euro for them. Was expecting a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Near identical thing happened to me a few weeks ago, ambs were 3 kg lighter in mart, then they were when I weighted them that morning before loading. Leaves you scratching your head !!!

ya'd be tempted to bring a bag of meal to the mart to throw on the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

It's a common issue especially at this time of year. Always weigh lambs here. The lambs sold in June lose nothing between home and mart but as the year goes on the gap gets wider and wider IMO. They can consume massive amounts of grass at 5-6 months of age

Well, first time I used a scales this year. Was aiming for 46kg. Will be aiming for circa 50kg next time to take account of the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

It's a Balancing act, keeping one eye on my grass reserves and another on that final kg's of weight. Still really irritates me when lambs are slightly short on weight and you get hammered for it in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

arctictree wrote: »
    Went to Baltinglass this morning with 6 lambs and a few culls. Was a bit dissapointed. Weighed the lambs at 46kg last Saturday but they only tipped 43kg on the scales at the mart. Got 85 euro for them. Was expecting a bit more.

We're they ram lambs or weather's

A neighbour used to weigh the jeep and trailer at the agri merchants on his way to the mart and then weigh after unloading......usually ended in a row and getting no where

We're they ram lambs or weather's
    Weathers

• Advertisement

Weathers

Factories are flagging €4/kg for next week, anyone have any quotes

Advertisement