Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

47kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Lambman wrote: »
    Kill sheet

Most factories would be paying to 21kg about now. Above that you are literally giving them free meat.

(if you were trying to upload the kill sheet it's not showing)

Yes it was over 21 tried said file 2 large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You’ve to be in the ball alright. They’ll catch you for overweight and also if underweight. Some factories are worse then others for it. I was caught a year or two back for lambs that were recovering from fluke. They graded poorly and factory stopped me 50cent a kilo. Was the last time I dealt with that particular factory.

47kg

Your lambs were spot on. Just the price is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

As high as 22.7 and lowest 19.7... mostly R3s few U3s same price though 4.65kg. I'd say 1.5kg liveweight woulda covered them so some musta killed real bad.

If lightest was 19.7 you shouldn’t be cut. 17 is the lower limit in ICM

There has always been an upper and lower limit. The upper limit usually goes up a half a kg every 2 months but this year they have been very slow to up it to 21.5. Should happen 1st September

razor8 wrote: »
    If lightest was 19.7 you shouldn’t be cut. 17 is the lower limit in ICM

Sounds like just another reason to squeeze us unfairly. They’d have plenty of customers requesting 14kg upwards. A halal buyer told me before 16-18kg is a very popular weight for them.

It’s not what I would be aiming for. 14kg is only €65. Need to be hitting top weight to max returns

There has always been an upper and lower limit. The upper limit usually goes up a half a kg every 2 months but this year they have been very slow to up it to 21.5. Should happen 1st September

I'd a faired out alot better on the 22kg limit that's for sure... Makes u think boys long and hard about the 9 till 5.

• Advertisement

Lads I can't post the sheet wish I could I'll give my number out till anybody on what's app on here that I trust and send u the kill sheet if u pm me and I hope some people do.

It’s not what I would be aiming for. 14kg is only €65. Need to be hitting top weight to max returns

I wouldn’t be aiming for that weight when sending them to the factory either, but a factory using 17kg as a reason to cut you, doesn’t stack up, as there’s a perfectly good market requesting them at that weight.
    Separately, the way the market is atm for finished lambs, I’m thinking of selling a good few of my lambs and taking the €70-€75 as stores. Anyone’s guess what the next month holds for us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Lads I can't post the sheet wish I could I'll give my number out till anybody on what's app on here that I trust and send u the kill sheet if u pm me and I hope some people do.

That should be it now

ganmo wrote: »
    That should be it now

No cuts there only the 5 that were over 21 kgs. 4.65 across the board.

Never says I was cut says the got free meat... That's less than half a them rest sent on different tags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Never says I was cut says the got free meat... That's less than half a them rest sent on different tags

I think you meant you had lambs totalling 6.1kg short of top weight then. It sounded like you were cut for underweight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hmm what to do what to do.

Have 23 well fed ram lambs 42-52kg, average weight would be 45ish. Planning to bring them to a buyer in ballina. He was giving 2 euro per kg but has gone down to 1.80.

no point in holding on if they are fit to kill .
    get them to the factory and see how they kill out you will quickly see that holding lambs to that weight is costing you money .
    you will learn more from killing your own lambs and seeing a kill sheet than dumping them on the live market.
    cash them in and pay a bill at least someone will be happy.:D

in fairness to ICM they are printing actual id numbers on kill sheet now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ya think we will be sending them to Kildare chilling. An agent picks up loads and charges a fee per head for transport. Will see how it goes.

Are the factories expected to bump up the carcass weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Brought in the factory lambs last night for the morning. When I went to load this morning at 5.30 there was one dead.

they made €99.80 so less than €100

Ah sh1t Wrangler that sucks.

• Advertisement

Yea. you'd think he'd feckin wait...... heptavac twice and it looks like clostridial. he was hard, black and smelly

Gone for PM now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Took lambs to mart last year. All lambs seemed ok, one dropped dead just after leaving the ring

It's mad

I have 20 lambs set to go to the factory, not too worried about getting them away fast as we have loads of grass.went up to have a look at them and the heaviest lamb was sitting away from the others and and slow to get up. Brought him down to the house, hopefully he will be ok. Bastaards look for any excuse to kick the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It's mad

I have 20 lambs set to go to the factory, not too worried about getting them away fast as we have loads of grass.went up to have a look at them and the heaviest lamb was sitting away from the others and and slow to get up. Brought him down to the house, hopefully he will be ok. Bastaards look for any excuse to kick the bucket.

I always take the better a week too early than a second too late approach, even a lamb getting lame will knock him back or anything,

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea. you'd think he'd feckin wait...... heptavac twice and it looks like clostridial. he was hard, black and smelly

Gone for PM now

Pity it wasn’t a small screw, instead of a full weight factory lamb. How would giving heptavac injection effect lambs going to slaughter shortly ? I know there’s no withdrawal, but would the swelling around neck effect the carcass ? I’ve a few here that could go with another course.

Pity it wasn’t a small screw, instead of a full weight factory lamb. How would giving heptavac injection effect lambs going to slaughter shortly ? I know there’s no withdrawal, but would the swelling around neck effect the carcass ? I’ve a few here that could go with another course.

Yea, a farmer in our group got a student to vaccinate and is getting penalise for abscesses on valuable cuts so you have to go in well up on the neck

Yea, a farmer in our group got a student to vaccinate and is getting penalise for abscesses on valuable cuts so you have to go in well up on the neck

Loose skin as close to the head as possible so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Brought in the factory lambs last night for the morning. When I went to load this morning at 5.30 there was one dead.

they made €99.80 so less than €100

Gone for PM now

Thats very annoying Wrangler...

Its very hard to judge the risk of not doing the vaccination, and it changes year on year, with weather, etc.

But, given you vaccinated, and still lost one. Plus, the threat of a factory penalty if the vaccination isnt done right - would it put you off vaccinating?

Thats very annoying Wrangler...

Its very hard to judge the risk of not doing the vaccination, and it changes year on year, with weather, etc.

But, given you vaccinated, and still lost one. Plus, the threat of a factory penalty if the vaccination isnt done right - would it put you off vaccinating?

I never had an abscess on lambs from vaccination, just use common sense.
    I should say I was never penalised, they were probably there on some alright.
    We'll see what the PM says, I've lost lambs before with Sardelli, and heptavac doesn't cover that and they were on reseeded ground

• Advertisement

Lamb died of a twisted gut......****em

Advertisement