Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Lamb died of a twisted gut......****em

I’d say you could write a book, on all the different ways they find to die at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I’d say you could write a book, on all the different ways they find to die at this stage.

That was a sickener, I think you said it couldn't be a screw that you hate the sight of

That was a sickener, I think you said it couldn't be a screw that you hate the sight of

Had one here in the last year or the two. Booked in to factory and pumped with nuts. Fed them at the trough on my way in to get my lunch. When I arrived back out they had either choked or forged themselves. Four legs up in the air, still alongside the trough. You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lamb died of a twisted gut......****em

And a broke heart....he found out you were selling him...couldn't go on :(

It looks like the protests are trying to **** up the sheep trade. pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭joe35

It looks like the protests are trying to **** up the sheep trade. pathetic

Wrangler I would agree with every point you make on these forums but the beef protesters are far from pathetic.
    Have to admire them for putting up a fight, if it was done more often against the likes of the factories we might all be getting a fair price. Not always fretting that it'll drop again next week.

I have 60ish lambs ready for next week but might have to wait another week but doesn't bother me. I would actually like to stand with them and definitely think we should be supporting them not labelling their struggles as pathetic.

joe35 wrote: »
    Wrangler I would agree with every point you make on these forums but the beef protesters are far from pathetic.
    Have to admire them for putting up a fight, if it was done more often against the likes of the factories we might all be getting a fair price. Not always fretting that it'll drop again next week.

I have 60ish lambs ready for next week but might have to wait another week but doesn't bother me. I would actually like to stand with them and definitely think we should be supporting them not labelling their struggles as pathetic.

Northern Ireland and Great britain Lamb prices are below ours so any upheaval here now will only send the price south, This is a horrendous year for farming and lamb trade can only get worse until mid to end October as More and more english lamb hits the european market.
    To obstruct trade now is ill thought out.
    If sheep farmers had a steady supply all year we'd have some hope of bargaining but targetting a glut time of the year with your lambs will bring the worse price, but that's the way factories have made us by not paying a decent price at more expensive times of the year.
    I just can't see anything to be gained for sheep farmers by blocking the lamb supply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Northern Ireland and Great britain Lamb prices are below ours so any upheaval here now will only send the price south, This is a horrendous year for farming and lamb trade can only get worse until mid to end October as More and more english lamb hits the european market.
    To obstruct trade now is ill thought out.
    If sheep farmers had a steady supply all year we'd have some hope of bargaining but targetting a glut time of the year with your lambs will bring the worse price, but that's the way factories have made us by not paying a decent price at more expensive times of the year.
    I just can't see anything to be gained for sheep farmers by blocking the lamb supply
    Agree keep it at beef that where the very poor price is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

kk.man wrote: »
    Agree keep it at beef that where the very poor price is.

Agreed. It is also the smarter move. Blocking everything makes them appear vindictive, almost like a lynch mob. Blocking the beef alone give a more calm, measured and all round professional appearance. Public perception is key to these things.
    After the nurses threatened to strike and got a better deal, an article magically appeared in the newspaper pointing out how teachers have one of the highest entry-level wages of all professions, thereby killing off any public support they might have if they planned to follow the nurses... No prizes for guessing where that article came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Anyone any quotes for lamb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Box09 wrote: »

Never seem to see any quotes in this thread.
    All sorts of talk about everything bar price it seems...a bit like the beef round-table talks!

Which factories are killing today?

What’s the state of play ? Are lamb supplies being blocked ? I’d be on the side of the protest and won’t break a picket, but don’t know if the sheep are tied up in this protest or not ? Might just stick to selling stores in the mart until things get sorted.

What’s the state of play ? Are lamb supplies being blocked ? I’d be on the side of the protest and won’t break a picket, but don’t know if the sheep are tied up in this protest or not ? Might just stick to selling stores in the mart until things get sorted.

Your lambs will die of old age before then:D

Kildare is looking rough and I'd be surprised if Athleague isn't the same

I just heard that a producer groups lambs, probably an artic load were blocked and sent home from ballyhaunis to monaghan on Friday.
    I wonder is that true

Your lambs will die of old age before then:D

Kildare is looking rough and I'd be surprised if Athleague isn't the same

Yes, I saw the video. I haven’t been to a factory in months. I just hope nobody gets hurt, either side. I’ll stick to the marts.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Box09 wrote: »

Never seem to see any quotes in this thread.
    All sorts of talk about everything bar price it seems...a bit like the beef round-table talks!

Which factories are killing today?

Not sure if there is a better site for checking prices but this one gets updated each week
    https://www.ifa.ie/market-reports/market-reports-15/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 manno

I just heard that a producer groups lambs, probably an artic load were blocked and sent home from ballyhaunis to monaghan on Friday.
    I wonder is that true
    I wonder if you heard it at all or you are just trying to bring your anti BP protest vitriol onto this thread aswell.

manno wrote: »
    I wonder if you heard it at all or you are just trying to bring your anti BP protest vitriol onto this thread aswell.

Find out if it's true first and then I'll discuss your inference that I'm telling lies.
    I think you'll find I give out whatever information I have when asked on the sheep thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

No one mentioned the BP. Usually the BP / IFA / IHFA / whatever_group_you're_having_yourself stays outside here.

Maybe you could do us all a favour and stay outside yourself, if this is all you have to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 manno

No one mentioned the BP. Usually the BP / IFA / IHFA / whatever_group_you're_having_yourself stays outside here.

Maybe you could do us all a favour and stay outside yourself, if this is all you have to offer?
    Well that was exactly my point Dinzee...keep that stuff out of the sheep thread

• Advertisement

Well that was exactly my point Dinzee...keep that stuff out of the sheep thread

Lamb price is doing alright considering brexit and the glut of lambs coming out from GB, we don't need this disruption

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cancelled-inspection-a-massive-own-goal-for-farmers-kepak/

"The cancellation of an inspection at the Kepak beef and sheepmeat plant in Athleague, Co. Roscommon, “is a massive own goal” for farmers, according to a statement from the processor.

This morning, Monday, September 2, it was reported that an inspection – due to be carried out today by Chinese officials with a view to approving the plant for exporting sheepmeat products to the country – was cancelled due to a protest at the site."

Hmmmm

Any wool price quotes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

55c lowland 40c upland

Lambman wrote: »
    55c lowland 40c upland

Not much between the two really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone know if beef protests are affecting lambs getting into Athleague and Ballyhaunis.
    Have some fit to sell in mart but no point if the buyers can't get them killed.
    Should I hold off selling ?

Have 15 lambs and 5 culls booked in for Kildare chilling on Monday. They will be collected from Sligo at 7am.

Was looking at a few vids about how to prepare lambs for factory, the below is very informative, worth embedding if someone could. I have a battery electric shears so I will clean up all the lambs.

https://youtu.be/bPhrE_CdKmk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

JJayoo wrote: »
    Have 15 lambs and 5 culls booked in for Kildare chilling on Monday. They will be collected from Sligo at 7am.

Was looking at a few vids about how to prepare lambs for factory, the below is very informative, worth embedding if someone could. I have a battery electric shears so I will clean up all the lambs.

https://youtu.be/bPhrE_CdKmk

I think that's it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

JJayoo wrote: »

Any concerns about them getting through the pickets/protest ?

• Advertisement

"Six farmer representative groups have confirmed to AgriLand they will be attending the second round of beef talks in Backweston, Co. Kildare, on Monday, September 9."

I'm hoping with the new round of talks that the protests will be mild/called off on Monday. Pure stupid for them to be messing lambs going to factory.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/6-farm-groups-confirmed-to-attend-mondays-beef-talks/

Advertisement