Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

JJayoo wrote: »
    "Six farmer representative groups have confirmed to AgriLand they will be attending the second round of beef talks in Backweston, Co. Kildare, on Monday, September 9."

I'm hoping with the new round of talks that the protests will be mild/called off on Monday. Pure stupid for them to be messing lambs going to factory.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/6-farm-groups-confirmed-to-attend-mondays-beef-talks/

They might be more calm but they wont be called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I am trying to find prices for the coming week but can't see any updates online. The last prices I can see are from 20/8/19. Not really sure what's the point of sending lambs if you don't even know what price you will get.

Is there any different source to get prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I am trying to find prices for the coming week but can't see any updates online. The last prices I can see are from 20/8/19. Not really sure what's the point of sending lambs if you don't even know what price you will get.

Is there any different source to get prices?

Ring or email them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

How’s the cull ewe trade holding up ? Mart still best place for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Not a great fan of the marts but sold 2 pens of stores.

35 kgs Rouge x ewes 90 euros
    Comrade ram lambs 38 kgs 84 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

orm0nd wrote: »

You did well especially with the ewes at that weight.

Just wondering what was the trade like for factory lambs at the mart 44-47kgs as I have some to sell but not sure whether to hold off due to the blockades.
    Apparently Ballyhaunis and Athleague are closed so are agents buying lambs this week ?

orm0nd wrote: »

Great result. What mart was that ? P.m if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

looks like my 34kg store in Kenmare mart were a bargain for €68.50. good long lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Dickie10 wrote: »
    looks like my 34kg store in Kenmare mart were a bargain for €68.50. good long lambs

Paid 2.10/kg for stores lately, I think 2/kg was good, especially if they are nice lambs...
    What’s breeds are they Dickie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

suffolk and charollais cross ill put up a pic

• Advertisement

Have some thin cull ewes. Would the factory cut you per kg, like they would a lamb ? Not sure whether to feed on. Pretty sure waistline my time bringing them to a mart. Was there yesterday and the dealers were taking the p*ss on anything cull that wasn’t as fat as a pig.

We sent 5 mountain culls to factory on Monday, Kildare chilling, 4 were pretty good 62/64 kg and 1 was considerably worse at 51kg.

We kinda wanted to see how they would go and especially to see the difference in price between the good ones and the bad one for future reference.

All the culls carcass weight was grouped in the pay form we got back and the 5 together averaged 58 euro each. The think one wasn't penalised.

We sent 14 to the mart approx amount ago, average weight was 74kg, fat as pigs, and got 60.

All culls will be going to the factory in future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Big number of lambs in camolin from all over the country yesterday. Sent down a few more. Average was €95 a lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Big number of lambs in camolin from all over the country yesterday. Sent down a few more. Average was €95 a lamb.

Nearly a thousand from our group

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Any word on prices for next week ? I've a dozen good lambs to go

Have some thin cull ewes. Would the factory cut you per kg, like they would a lamb ? Not sure whether to feed on. Pretty sure waistline my time bringing them to a mart. Was there yesterday and the dealers were taking the p*ss on anything cull that wasn’t as fat as a pig.

I got cut €1/kg on two of my expensive lleyn hoggets from last year, so that was really adding salt in the wound as they bred very poor as well, so yes ICM would cut you for poor condition

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Sent culls and lambs to camolin on Wednesday. €2.70 for ewes and €4.70 lambs. ****e price but what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Sent culls and lambs to camolin on Wednesday. €2.70 for ewes and €4.70 lambs. ****e price but what can you do

Was the 4.70 including QA. Have av few to go next week.

How exactly do you qualify for the QA bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

You go through the bordbia quality assurance scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Hear Kildare blockaded for lambs again this evening.That looks like leaving almost the entire lamb kill for the coming week to Camolin and Navan.
    Hard to see but one winner from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

ganmo wrote: »

You go through the bordbia quality assurance scheme
    Don't take any s'f/e from them. They are in no position to lecture anyone on keeping their house in order.

Got the individual killout sheet back from Kildare chilling.

Before sending the lambs I had taken note of each lambs tag number and weighed them. 3 biggest lambs all 55kg plus and well fed all came back as the 3 lightest carcasses at 17kg hmmm looking at the other carcass weights and they don't correspond at all. Bullsh1t

Got the individual killout sheet back from Kildare chilling.

Before sending the lambs I had taken note of each lambs tag number and weighed them. 3 biggest lambs all 55kg plus and well fed all came back as the 3 lightest carcasses at 17kg hmmm looking at the other carcass weights and they don't correspond at all. Bullsh1t

Great service from ICM, Seldom have a number wrong, after going to the expense of Etagging it's the least the factories can do.
    It's hard to pick lambs right if you don't have a proper feedback from the previous load

And somehow the terrible cull who we sent up as a test, half expected for her to end up in the bin, has the heaviest carcass lol

Her live weight was 14kg less than the other culls.

I'm assuming they just scanned all the lambs/culls in one big group and then processed them, so none of the weights match up with the carcasses.

Anyhow have another bunch booked in for Thursday, 15 culls and 10 lambs. We are doing a big cull this year, clean up the flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

And somehow the terrible cull who we sent up as a test, half expected for her to end up in the bin, has the heaviest carcass lol

Her live weight was 14kg less than the other culls.

I'm assuming they just scanned all the lambs/culls in one big group and then processed them, so none of the weights match up with the carcasses.

Anyhow have another bunch booked in for Thursday, 15 culls and 10 lambs. We are doing a big cull this year, clean up the flock.
    The department said EID was an absolute necessity and there the factories with scanners and man power and they don't give a s#€/#. If that was a farm inspection the farmer be in serious bother. Wheres the traceability in that?
    I tell ya it's time to expose useless Bord Bia now. They're true colours came out during the factory strikes.

What’s the update ? Are the pockets still in Kildare ?

Well we got a call this morning at 7 from the haulage guy saying he had space for our sheep and would be passing through collooney, in Sligo, at 10am.

I'm assuming him contacting us last minute was because some people had decided not to send their sheep with him due to protests outside Kildare chilling.

Ours are booked in to go on Thursday so hopefully things will be ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We are doing a big cull this year, clean up the flock.

Spoke to a guy a while back who used to carry 200 ewes. He decided to cut back a bit and culled an extra 20 ewes in 2018, saying "F*ck it, I'll take the hit on having less lambs to sell".

When it was all added up at the end of the year, he reckoned he was down no more than the price of 8 lambs.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Culling and reducing flock by 30% this year. Tired of factories messing and kicking us around. Hoping to have the same net profit as before. Less lambs, but also less input costs. Felt like a busy fool with no thanks at the end of it.

Advertisement