Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Sami23 wrote: »
    Did you have no ticked for QA in despatch book or left blank?

Blank as far as I remember. Don't think there is an option for no. Guy in office put a red sticker on dispatch doc going in the gate to signify no QA so doubt that was the mistake. Not going to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know if organic sheep get any extra money in factory ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone know if organic sheep get any extra money in factory ?

I'm not sure but I don't think there's a huge demand from factories for organic lamb. Anyone interested usually goes direct to the producer.

There is some organic processing but some organic lamb goes into conventional orders and the producer only gets same price as everyone else.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm not sure but I don't think there's a huge demand from factories for organic lamb. Anyone interested usually goes direct to the producer.

There is some organic processing but some organic lamb goes into conventional orders and the producer only gets same price as everyone else.

Don’t ICM kill organic lamb?

Couldn’t tell you how it works tho, and what the premium is.

Two things I remember with organic when I looked at it before
    - you need your own feed, cos organic ration is mad dear as far as I know. So I guess either tillage or maybe red clover?
    - you need to pay a subscription every year to some organic crowd, to be stamped as organic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That’s good. I see their official quote at €4.35 plus 10qa, is the worst on the market.

It's always the same with them, I'm down to the bottom 20 now including runts, lambs out of hoggets etc ,
    They're getting .75kg meal/hd.
    With this weather now and the the lambs aren't growthy I'm going to get rid at 40kg +, they're just not worth feeding to max weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Was at tuam last night . Brutal prices. 42kg well fleshed lambs making 78 max. 50kg lambs just over 90.
    I hear a lot saying store trade good but i dont see it either.

wrangler wrote: »
    It's always the same with them, I'm down to the bottom 20 now including runts, lambs out of hoggets etc ,
    They're getting .75kg meal/hd.
    With this weather now and the the lambs aren't growthy I'm going to get rid at 40kg +, they're just not worth feeding to max weight

Lambs averaged 41.6kg LW, 19.8kg DW,
    Average price €92.84 minus €3.13 expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

Was at tuam last night . Brutal prices. 42kg well fleshed lambs making 78 max. 50kg lambs just over 90.
    I hear a lot saying store trade good but i dont see it either.

I took a gamble this week when picking out lambs for factory and put 45 lighter ewe lambs through mart. 38kg made €86 and 39.5kg made €85 going by reports I’ve seen did really well. Be doing well hit 93 with load for factory I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

brought 13 lambs wed night to navan should be good to see what they kill out got a small bit of meal. 11 were hoggets lambs from april born and two were stores bought end of august for €68 - 33 kg, they were 50 kg when i weighed them monday

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Put up 17kgs in 6 weeks, what you feeding them?!

• Advertisement

Cran wrote: »
    I took a gamble this week when picking out lambs for factory and put 45 lighter ewe lambs through mart. 38kg made €86 and 39.5kg made €85 going by reports I’ve seen did really well. Be doing well hit 93 with load for factory I’d say

You did very well. All it takes is for one or two to kill out light in factory to bring your average right down.

Now that was there average as a group , presuming some were we can say 37 kg, its still good . there were definitely none over 37kg. Im feeding a nut from McNamara Feeds up the road from me. I have to say there feed is powerful stuff, gave it to young bulls last winter and they weighed savage for sale in March. I gave a group of lambs ad lib their intensive lamb nut and they pounded on flesh and weght. The idea I have now is that I will take out about 40 of the store lambs every month to 6 weeks and start them on the nut in the creep feeder. no point ad libing lambs that haven't got their growing done yet.

just worked out those lambs would have done 0.35 kg.day if 37 kg when they came , I knew as a group they were doing well but some lambs in the first group of store have thrived like I never seen before here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dickie10 wrote: »
    just worked out those lambs would have done 0.35 kg.day if 37 kg when they came , I knew as a group they were doing well but some lambs in the first group of store have thrived like I never seen before here

Are those the first batch from Kerry?

yea they killed 19.7 kg and 21kg @4.45. great weight gain **** price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Fair play... Nice twist

I wonder is your scales right, they should've killed out more than that if they were 50kg......your lambs killed out roughly the same as mine that were 41.6kg
    If you weighed them full of grass it could be weighing 2kg heavy and wet wool would put the weight up too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

I wonder is your scales right, they should've killed out more than that if they were 50kg......your lambs killed out roughly the same as mine that were 41.6kg
    If you weighed them full of grass it could be weighing 2kg heavy and wet wool would put the weight up too

He had probably higher weight lambs on his mart lots and was working off the mart sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cuts-of-40-50-being-imposed-on-base-price-for-overweight-lambs-icsa/

Anyone get cut for overweight lambs? Factories planning to screw is again, with the delay getting lambs killed a lot of lambs will be going overweight. You’d wonder is there actually a backlog or is it all playing into their hands🀔🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

How do quotes compare to this time last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

How do quotes compare to this time last year?

About 30/40 cents a kilo back from memory.Think they were about 4:90 this time last year .
    One paying 4:45 to 22.5 last week but no QA. Think most were 4:60 or so to 21.5 or 22 kgs QA Inc

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Lambs averaged 41.6kg LW, 19.8kg DW,
    Average price €92.84 minus €3.13 expenses

does expenses include tagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Any quotes? Agriland says 430 base 😮

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    does expenses include tagging?

No, just the usual deductions, transport circa €2 and factory circa €1.
    Rubbish prices now, hope it's due to the protests and compounded by Brexit.
    There'll be a rush away from sheep farming if this is the norm into the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

No, just the usual deductions, transport circa €2 and factory circa €1.
    Rubbish prices now, hope it's due to the protests and compounded by Brexit.
    There'll be a rush away from sheep farming if this is the norm into the future.

Part of the reason there was such a rush for dairy conversions - every other enterprise is on its knees. You’d wonder if anyone supposed to be leading agriculture and food in Ireland has any idea of where we’re all heading.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Anyone in the mart in recent days ? Hoping to move off some 30-35kg store ewe lambs this week. What’s the trade like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

4.45 a kg incl quality assurance up to 22kg next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

farming93 wrote: »
    4.45 a kg incl quality assurance up to 22kg next week

Where is that

How far do you have to go back to when prices were last that bad ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Icm camolin. Ye it's quiet poor alright in just getting rid of the heavy lads no point holding them.

Advertisement