Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any great difference in the wool buyers or does it not make much difference who you sell to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Any great difference in the wool buyers or does it not make much difference who you sell to ?

I don't think so. There are all the same.

I see quotes are the same as last week, but papers say numbers are tightening ? Anyone out and about this week ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I see quotes are the same as last week, but papers say numbers are tightening ? Anyone out and about this week ?

Not sure about factories but mart prices seem to be holding if New Ross on Monday is anything to go by. All lambs were around the €2/kg mark.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

Not sure about factories but mart prices seem to be holding if New Ross on Monday is anything to go by. All lambs were around the €2/kg mark.

Had grass fed lambs in the mart today 45@ 85e
    Happy enough
    Saw 50 kg not making 90 grass fed also

• Advertisement

That’s the thing that frustrates me about the mart. Your dependent on agents wanting to compete with each other. Turn up on a day if one agent is missing and you might end up with €5 less per head in your pocket.

jd06 wrote: »
    Happy enough
    It's a bad price for lambs which we're reared and kept to this time of year. Very little in it for the mid season producer now and you think lambs be getting scarce.
    Saw a lovely pen of lambs 49kgs making 90 euro last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

jd06 wrote: »
    Happy enough

I had 46.5kg ewe lambs in Athenry Monday only made 90 euro.
    Kinda sorry I didn't bring them home and send to factory

Sami23 wrote: »
    I had 46.5kg ewe lambs in Athenry Monday only made 90 euro.
    Kinda sorry I didn't bring them home and send to factory

Pay your transport and added factory deductions and you mightn’t have been much better off. Im sending them to factory at around 45kg and cheque is averaging €90. It’s just poor money wherever you sell atm.

Pay your transport and added factory deductions and you mightn’t have been much better off. Im sending them to factory at around 45kg and cheque is averaging €90. It’s just poor money wherever you sell atm.

That's the other side of it I suppose - you just can't win.
    Btw what are your 45kg lambs killing out at as I have a few wethers to go at that weight myself

• Advertisement

That's the other side of it I suppose - you just can't win.
    Btw what are your 45kg lambs killing out at as I have a few wethers to go at that weight myself

I’m sending them entire. They’d be 44-47kg on scales. Killing out average 19-21kg and u2 off grass. Surprisingly good carcass, as all at least 75% Lleyns. But sire was a stocky built Lleyn. The other thing is, all it takes is for one or two to k.o poorly and your average weights plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I’m sending them entire. They’d be 44-47kg on scales. Killing out average 19-21kg and u2 off grass. Surprisingly good carcass, as all at least 75% Lleyns. But sire was a stocky built Lleyn. The other thing is, all it takes is for one or two to k.o poorly and your average weights plummet.

The buyers at the mart buy as if they're all going to kill out poorly.
    I suppose they can't take the chance.
    Our load last week were yearlings lambs, averaged 42kg empty and Killed out 20.1kg.

Just edited to say we weighed them full the night before this time and then going to the trailer next morning,
    Losses varied but averaged two kg, however one lost 4kg gutfill overnight

Never ceases to amaze me, the amount of sh*t a trailer of lambs leave behind after them. Even after a short 20 minute journey, they’ll turn a sparkling clean trailer, into something covered with dirt. Up along the side walls etc. So given that it’s no surprise their always a few kilos lighter in the ring or factory compared to field. Only thing about factory is it gives you certainty as to final k.o instead of wondering if you were skinned or not in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

4.65 in camolin upto 22kg in Camolin

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

davidk1394 wrote: »
    4.65 in camolin upto 22kg in Camolin

It's that with a producers group or how are you managing to get that when they are quoting a base price of 4.35

foxirl wrote: »
    It's that with a producers group or how are you managing to get that when they are quoting a base price of 4.35

I'd imagine it's because david supplies a lot of lambs, 4.35 is very poor

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's because david supplies a lot of lambs, 4.35 is very poor

When you ain’t a part of a buyer’s group, or don’t have big numbers, Kildare ain’t a bad option at 4.55 inc qa, that’s available to everyone. Don’t get me wrong , everywhere is rubbish atm and totally unsustainable, but better then starting a conversation with Larry at 4.35

When you ain’t a part of a buyer’s group, or don’t have big numbers, Kildare ain’t a bad option at 4.55 inc qa, that’s available to everyone. Don’t get me wrong , everywhere is rubbish atm and totally unsustainable, but better then starting a conversation with Larry at 4.35

I've often said on here that you need to be looking for at least 20c over the price quoted on the papers, our base price is based on those quotes and they're always on the floor for that reason.
    Kildare is a good buyer for lambs around here too, I often thought of going there, there's only be the transport in the difference usually in the price and the only spec seems to be maximum weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im finding lambs have to be 50 kg at least to kill 21.5 these days im not going with any til early dec

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im finding lambs have to be 50 kg at least to kill 21.5 these days im not going with any til early dec

I've been feeding meal, grass would have to be top quality to get that KO, also ram lambs will have 2kg of balls at this stage that take from the KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

sent away a mixed bundle on monday , didnt study the kill sheets too much because if you read my post in the chit chat thread you'll see i had a bit of a "diversion" this morning :D

afaic, ko was about as i expected with a couple of light ram lambs doing poorly I knew that but we're finished for this year and just wanted to clear out

a couple of the older ewes killed poorly also but they were on their second pension book & ideally should have gone sooner.

right or wrong we'll be well down on numbers next year , making way for expansion in dairying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Dickie10 wrote: »

Are you finishing lambs off grass ? Ours are 44-45kgs and killing out at 21.5 to 22kgs

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Are you finishing lambs off grass ? Ours are 44-45kgs and killing out at 21.5 to 22kgs

That's a good kill out %.
    Are they getting much meal and are they weighed empty or early in the day etc. at the 44-45kgs.

I'm asking as I find when I weigh mine say of a Saturday at 47kgs for eg. they would only weigh 45kgs the following Thursday at the mart

That's a good kill out %.
    Are they getting much meal and are they weighed empty or early in the day etc. at the 44-45kgs.

I'm asking as I find when I weigh mine say of a Saturday at 47kgs for eg. they would only weigh 45kgs the following Thursday at the mart

Your weights are probably right at the home weighing. Mart weights are influenced by the fasting time, length of the journey and the waiting around in the mart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just got IFA text on factory prices. They’re claiming up to €4.70-4.80 is available. I assume that’s all in and maybe not easily available but there does seem to be some tightening of supplies and a shift up the way. Not before time

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Any word on prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

farming93 wrote: »
    Any word on prices?
    Heard 4:60/4:70 inc QA for today flat price in 2 different places.
    Only 70 or so left here so started feeding meal to shift them but will be a week or two before fit to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

4.80 r 4.90 u's

Abp in the UK is the equivalent of €4.91 to 22kgs starting next week.

• Advertisement

Any quotes for next week ? Will have a load ready here.

Advertisement