Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Cran

Any quotes for next week ? Will have a load ready here.

4 80 easily available flat

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Cran wrote: »
    4 80 easily available flat

Getting more than 85 flat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Whatever we get is well needed after a bad few months

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Any quotes for the week folks ??

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Sent lambs to keepak athleague last week anything over 22kg was cut.....someone ssid ballyhaunis dosent cut is this true ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

leoch wrote: »
    Sent lambs to keepak athleague last week anything over 22kg was cut.....someone ssid ballyhaunis dosent cut is this true ???

That's correct about Ballyhaunis. I sent lambs last week - they varied from 21kg's to 23kg's and I wasn't cut but obviously only got paid up to 22kg's.
    How the hell are lads supposed to have lambs bang on 22kg's anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    That's correct about Ballyhaunis. I sent lambs last week - they varied from 21kg's to 23kg's and I wasn't cut but obviously only got paid up to 22kg's.

That'd be the same as all factories, I think athleague just stop paying at 22 too

wrangler wrote: »
    That'd be the same as all factories, I think athleague just stop paying at 22 too

Agree wrangler. I took OP up wrong in that I though they were cut for lambs over the 22kgs as it if they were paying say 4.80 up to 22kg that if you sent a lamb at 23kg you would only get say 4.70 for the full 22kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Went on a tour of ICM over the summer...

I used to be a bit sore about the weight limits before, but they explained what cuts go where and the size they need to be... they explained it all fairly well...

I think we have the spec, up to us to get it as close as we can...

If you have lambs that are a lot heavier, there is always the mart for butchers...

I used to be a bit sore about the weight limits before, but they explained what cuts go where and the size they need to be... they explained it all fairly well...

If you have lambs that are a lot heavier, there is always the mart for butchers...

Was that Camolin, it's some place, did you see them putting the 4 chops on the trays...... as you say it becomes clear why there's a weight limit.
    Every supplier should do the tour

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Was that Camolin, it's some place, did you see them putting the 4 chops on the trays...... as you say it becomes clear why there's a weight limit.
    Every supplier should do the tour

Yeah, Camolin.

Saw the 4 chops on the trays. They showed us all the bits of the lamb, a very heavy lamb, a very light lamb - and what but the cuts in each one are like...
    I found it very interesting...

Agree 100% - every supplier should do it.

I wasnt complaining about not getting paid over the 22kgs - was just saying its hard get all lambs to kill out at exactly 22kg.

Just something else that kinda confuses me is: Why do they pay up to say 19kgs in spring and then pay up to 23kgs near Xmas. I'm sure there's simple explanation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I wonder were they actually cut per kilo on heavy lambs, it was mentioned on AgriLand 6 weeks ago and I was worried as I had lambs gone heavy on me but I killed them in ballyhaunis and got paid to 21.5kg with no cuts.

Here’s the link,

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cuts-of-40-50-being-imposed-on-base-price-for-overweight-lambs-icsa/

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

I wasnt complaining about not getting paid over the 22kgs - was just saying its hard get all lambs to kill out at exactly 22kg.

Just something else that kinda confuses me is: Why do they pay up to say 19kgs in spring and then pay up to 23kgs near Xmas. I'm sure there's simple explanation ?
    Always wondered that myself..
    Surely they could pay 22/23 kg in spring if they pay it at xmas time.. cant see the difference.
    They could not start the “we have different markets at different time of the year”..
    Looks to me a tool to put a lid on prices unless someone has a reasonable explanation.

eorna wrote: »
    Always wondered that myself..
    Surely they could pay 22/23 kg in spring if they pay it at xmas time.. cant see the difference.
    They could not start the “we have different markets at different time of the year”..
    Looks to me a tool to put a lid on prices unless someone has a reasonable explanation.

I think it’s the fat cover - spring lambs will come fit at a lower weight, as the season moves on lambs need that extra weight to get the same fat...

So a 19kg lamb carcass in April, will be fleshy but a 19kg carcass in September will be stringy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

I think it’s the fat cover - spring lambs will come fit at a lower weight, as the season moves on lambs need that extra weight to get the same fat...

So a 19kg lamb carcass in April, will be fleshy but a 19kg carcass in September will be stringy enough...

Fair enough.. what about a 22 kg lamb (dw) in the spring? Surely nothing wrong with him.

eorna wrote: »
    Fair enough.. what about a 22 kg lamb (dw) in the spring? Surely nothing wrong with him.

If they come fit earlier, then the difference between the 19kg and the 22kg is fat...

They showed us fatty lambs in the factory, the body cavity filled with fat. Some fat they can accept on the chops, etc.

The trip to the factory was well worth it, would recommend everyone to go. Just to see a fat vs light lamb dead alone, not to mind the other stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

So any prices lads?

If they come fit earlier, then the difference between the 19kg and the 22kg is fat...

They showed us fatty lambs in the factory, the body cavity filled with fat. Some fat they can accept on the chops, etc.

The trip to the factory was well worth it, would recommend everyone to go. Just to see a fat vs light lamb dead alone, not to mind the other stuff...

As I always say they're our customers, we can either supply what they want or not. they know the market,
    Lamb can be so wrong that I only eat my own lamb now, I hate fatty lamb repeating up my throat all evening,
    We were taught how to grade our lambs live as well by our group, They paid a guy to come from england to teach us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

5.10/kg for lambs going tomorrow

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    5.10/kg for lambs going tomorrow

Good price at last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Good price at last

Must be getting scarce. Good jump in last few weeks . Have last few to go in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I have 200 to go from next week on , every fortight should be pulling 20-25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I have 200 to go from next week on , every fortight should be pulling 20-25

Are those the ones from Kerry ?
    If do they finished quick for ya...good fattening land

Good price at last

I'd say it'll keep climbing. Our lambs graded well. One lamb that was a beltex weighed 45.5kgs in the scales yesterday morning and weighed 28kgs on the hook in the factory.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I'd say it'll keep climbing. Our lambs graded well. One lamb that was a beltex weighed 45.5kgs in the scales yesterday morning and weighed 28kgs on the hook in the factory.

Are you sure it was the same lamb - that’s over 60% kill out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Robson99 wrote: »
    Are those the ones from Kerry ?
    If do they finished quick for ya...good fattening land
    YEah I went with 12 already weighed about 30 last week 48-53 kg. goin this week just waiting for Flukiver w/d its up sunday. getting a nice bit of meal now once a day, ill start twice a day feeding in fields from now on

Dickie10 wrote: »
    YEah I went with 12 already weighed about 30 last week 48-53 kg. goin this week just waiting for Flukiver w/d its up sunday. getting a nice bit of meal now once a day, ill start twice a day feeding in fields from now on

What’s your stocking rate with those lambs Dickie, if you don’t mind me asking...

They did very good, a lot better than similar lambs I bought around the same time...

Are you sure it was the same lamb - that’s over 60% kill out?

Certain. I wrote down his tag to be sure. Had a few overweight lambs. Butcher cant take the bigger ones for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone hear any quotes for next week ?

Advertisement