Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

ganmo wrote: »
    I remember seeing signs up in a factory "carcasses under 13kg won't be accepted"

I have it in my head they don’t pay for carcasses under 16kg, not sure where I heard that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭joe35

Last 2 batches of lambs we sent away had lambs not paid for. First one 4 weeks ago only got paid for half a lamb due to 'abscesses and pneumonia' last week had a full lamb 21kg rejected.
    Rang the factory and they said they would get the vet to ring me back, still waiting.
    Thaught it strange first time as all lambs seemed fine leaving yard. Definitely all lambs were fine with the second batch. We're with a producer group

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

joe35 wrote: »
    Last 2 batches of lambs we sent away had lambs not paid for. First one 4 weeks ago only got paid for half a lamb due to 'abscesses and pneumonia' last week had a full lamb 21kg rejected.
    Rang the factory and they said they would get the vet to ring me back, still waiting.
    Thaught it strange first time as all lambs seemed fine leaving yard. Definitely all lambs were fine with the second batch. We're with a producer group

Get onto the producer group, they might help ya out

Will do, thanks ganmo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sometimes if a lamb gets Pneumonia the lungs stick to the rib cage and causes the lamb to be rejected. They don't have to have pnuemonia the day they are slaughtered, could be months before, it's common enough, did they get Heptavac P

• Advertisement

No they didn't get hep P. Just strange that it was the first time we ever had a problem, and then 2 in a row. Can't say any of them were sick in the past either. None would of got an antibiotic even. Thanks Wrangler, could be that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No they didn't get hep P. Just strange that it was the first time we ever had a problem, and then 2 in a row. Can't say any of them were sick in the past either. None would of got an antibiotic even. Thanks Wrangler, could be that

You still should get a proper report from the vet, your group coordinator should be able to chase up the last lambs report

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I believe the Spanish lamb is for a different market to the Irish product? Typically 12-15kg carcasses.

Not sure which market but I heard Declan Fennell from Bord Bia say that Spain now imports as much lamb into France as Ireland.

Would be interesting to see if Spanish lamb replaced Irish lamb in France or if it found a new market in the 12-15kg category.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Any prices this week. When do the factories close. Are they open next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Tileman wrote: »

Heard their the same as last week. €5.00 plus 10c freely available , up to yourself after that to see if more available. Think they only close for the bank holidays and are open between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Tileman wrote: »

Kildare were on 5:20 inc. QA flat price to 22.5 on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any up date on prices for lambs and cull ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Any up date on prices for lambs and cull ewes
    €5.25 up tp 22.5kg icm yesterday

What about ewes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

That’s a nice jump. The week between Xmas and New Years was always a good week to sell as their regular supply is disrupted and allot of people take the week off . Had intended holding mine to this week but dropped the in last week instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Is that still widely available ? Or what's the updated run of things

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

What about ewes?

Quoted €2.80 by Athleague today for next monday. Lambs are €5.10 ( + 15c QA )

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

So lambs are 5.10 base and extra 15 cent for quality assurance?

Young95 wrote: »
    So lambs are 5.10 base and extra 15 cent for quality assurance?

Correct

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

IFA text today claims up to 3 euro for ewes so maybe try give them a squeeze for an extra 10c

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

IFA text today claims up to 3 euro for ewes so maybe try give them a squeeze for an extra 10c

I’m Surprised some factories are giving €3 because usually athleague is better than most for ewes

Any updates on prices for ewes and lambs. 3 euro and 5.50 going I’m told. Any more goin?

Any updates on prices for ewes and lambs. 3 euro and 5.50 going I’m told. Any more goin?

Had lambs killed this morning in Athleague at 5.30/kg. Another 40 to go this week and both ballyhaunis and athleague willing to give 5.40 for thursday. (Quality Assured lambs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Had lambs killed this morning in Athleague at 5.30/kg. Another 40 to go this week and both ballyhaunis and athleague willing to give 5.40 for thursday. (Quality Assured lambs).

To what weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Neighbour got 5.40 for ram lambs last week and i rang lorry man who was full up for this morning they paying 5.45 and i booked mine in for this wed morning he says hopefully get 5.5o all athleague

kk.man wrote: »
    To what weight?

both 22.5kg

leoch wrote: »
    Neighbour got 5.40 for ram lambs last week and i rang lorry man who was full up for this morning they paying 5.45 and i booked mine in for this wed morning he says hopefully get 5.5o all athleague

I told the lad in athleague I was getting 5.45 in ballyhaunis to see would he meet it but he said 5.40 is the best he would do. That was for thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

Was the 5.40 in Athleague last week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

YES 22.5KG AND YES WILL MAKE SURE ITS ATHLEAGUE NEXT TIME I AM CHATTING TO HIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

YES 22.5KG AND YES WILL MAKE SURE ITS ATHLEAGUE NEXT TIME I AM CHATTING TO HIM

You done well. There was a lot of €5.20 in Athleague last week. As usual they pay more to lambs that travel than they do to local farmers.

Advertisement