Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Tileman wrote: »
    They will hit €6 I think will they? No sign of extra uk lamb coming in

Well they are certainly heading in the right direction. All I know is there taking in as many lambs as they can get now and are willing to pay a lot more if you call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This might interest some of you, the retail breakdown of lamb carcasses.
    https://twitter.com/IrelandsFarmers/status/1222287497914396674?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Pity no one does the same with cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The liver,heart, kidneys, tongue , hides, crubeens, all sold by the big processors. Lamb is easy and cheap to process. I could butcher a lamb in 30 minutes to a reasonable standard. Don’t light any candles for the bustards lads!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Don't you know the factories will drop the prices like a tonne of bricks as soon as they get any sort of a supply of this year's lambs to make up for paying us our fair share for last years lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

farming93 wrote: »
    Don't you know the factories will drop the prices like a tonne of bricks as soon as they get any sort of a supply of this year's lambs to make up for paying us our fair share for last years lambs.

It should be a while until that happens though, there will be less and less sheep being killed from now to easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Jjameson wrote: »
    The liver,heart, kidneys, tongue , hides, crubeens, all sold by the big processors. Lamb is easy and cheap to process. I could butcher a lamb in 30 minutes to a reasonable standard. Don’t light any candles for the bustards lads!!

Good honest insight by the chap doing Ireland farmer on twitter this week. 5 employed. Butchering is 1 thing. Selling is another. Very few under 40,s buying joints, mostly looking for fast cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

What is the story with lamb chops being sold for 17-20 euro/kg in supermarkets and butchers?
    I know is only one part of the lamb and other parts aren’t worth as much as that but the profits seems to be pretty decent there?
    There is a 300% difference between the paid price to farmer and retail price on those bits.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Good honest insight by the chap doing Ireland farmer on twitter this week. 5 employed. Butchering is 1 thing. Selling is another. Very few under 40,s buying joints, mostly looking for fast cook.

It is an honest insight and fair play to him. The likes of him need all the help they can get as they are so scarce now. But light no candles for Icm or kepak who economy of scale, get paid for offal rather than have to pay to dispose of it, though having to put kilos of meat from overweight lambs into skips isn’t fair on them in fairness:P

• Advertisement

They will hit €6 I think will they? No sign of extra uk lamb coming in

The uk farmers fecked all their lambs at the market prior to the dreaded October Brexit deadline which has crowned us. Interesting to see where they’ll be mid April. But I agree with another poster, ewe numbers are slightly up, scanned very well. Anything they give us when they are a bit scarce they will take back with interest when numbers are there mid summer.

I see butchers and wholesalers paying up to 5.80 according to IFA.

Some plants in UK hitting the equivalent of 6 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got 106 for 40kg mixed lambs in Baltinglass earlier. Good trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

arctictree wrote: »

Many down there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Any 50kgs there?

Many down there ?

Not too many. You can see that good lambs are getting scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

5.60 Monday in Ballyhaunis incl. qa

Any mart reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

€5.70 ICM in Navan thursday

Dickie10 wrote: »
    €5.70 ICM in Navan thursday

They could hit 6 yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Any mart reports?
    Heavy Hoggets €125 to €129 or €70 to €75 over €/kg
    Factory Hoggets €116 to €125 or €66 to €74 over €/kg
    Store Hoggets €84 to €114 or €48 to €63 over €/kg
    Heavy Ewes €120 to €140 per head
    Lighter Ewes €77 to €120 per head
    blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

oh id say they will go over €6, definitely when we get into March

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dickie10 wrote: »
    oh id say they will go over €6, definitely when we get into March

Does your crystal ball say anything about price at the end of April? :)

All going well, we'll have a few January-born single lambs around 40kg then and ready to go

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Got €92 for 37.5kg ewe lambs in Baltinglass earlier. Last of last years lambs gone now. I didnt feed any of my lambs this year, all on grass. Grass was scarce last few weeks but it still paid to hold them late.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Got €92 for 37.5kg ewe lambs in Baltinglass earlier. Last of last years lambs gone now. I didnt feed any of my lambs this year, all on grass. Grass was scarce last few weeks but it still paid to hold them late.

€2.45/kg is good enough in fairness. Assuming they were lowland types, had they any breeding potential?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

€2.45/kg is good enough in fairness. Assuming they were lowland types, had they any breeding potential?

Nope, lightest of last years lambs.

Any quotes this week?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone?

Kildare5.60 plus 10, base price available to everyone

• Advertisement

Abp in the UK now paying the equivalent of 6.17 euro. Kepaks St Merryn paying more.

Advertisement