Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Anyone in Baltinglass today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Some prices from Ballinasloe last Thursday:

40kgs - 110
    42.5kgs - 112
    43kgs - 101
    45kgs - 120 (white ewe lambs)
    52kgs - 127

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

13 lambs sold on Friday in the factory. Average weight 22.3 kg average price 125 each. These were some of the worst lambs of the year. I've a load to go to the mart next week averaging 44 kg or so, very thin a mixture of cheviot, Suffolk etc.. Be interesting to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Any quotes this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

heard €6 to 23 kgs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any quotes for ewes

Sold my lambs in Tullow just now.

44kgs sold for €125 and bought in for €53
    50kgs sold for €137 and bought in for €60
    49kgs sold for €135 and bought in for €62
    52kgs sold for €140 and bought in for €70

They put on 19-20kgs since October 5.

Very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Sold my lambs in Tullow just now.

44kgs sold for €125 and bought in for €53
    50kgs sold for €137 and bought in for €69
    49kgs sold for €135 and bought in for €62
    52kgs sold for €140 and bought in for €70

They put on 19-20kgs since October 5.

Very happy

Feeding meal?

I've a load to go to carnew this week. Mine aren't fleshy probably thin if anything and are averaging 44 kg or so. Ram lambs and weather's. What do you reckon these would make going by your prices?

Jjameson wrote: »
    Feeding meal?

They’re getting 1 bag per day since after Christmas so around €550 for meal.

• Advertisement

farming93 wrote: »
    I've a load to go to carnew this week. Mine aren't fleshy probably thin if anything and are averaging 44 kg or so. Ram lambs and weather's. What do you reckon these would make going by your prices?

I saw store lambs making €3 per kg. 30kg for €93. Shocking dear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

They’re getting 1 bag per day since after Christmas so around €550 for meal.

How many lambs was that divided by ?
    I heard lads saying before that you get 1 good year like in every 4 or 5 , where you make great money. So when these years roll around, whatever money we make is well earned and we're wholly deserving of it. Makes up for the kicking we got this time last year.

I heard lads saying before that you get 1 good year like in every 4 or 5 , where you make great money. So when these years roll around, whatever money we make is well earned and we're wholly deserving of it. Makes up for the kicking we got this time last year.

Between 43. I had them last year also. There’s a few pound in them. Certainly better than cattle or selling bales silage.

Had to change the second price from 69 to 60. Glasses and fat fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Not every farm suits having stock on it for the winter. We used to outwinter and the place would be skint in march and that'd be on a good year

wrangler wrote: »
    Not every farm suits having stock on it for the winter. We used to outwinter and the place would be skint in march and that'd be on a good year

Cannt burn the candle at both ends

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Between 43. I had them last year also. There’s a few pound in them. Certainly better than cattle or selling bales silage.

Were they out-wintered or did you put them into a shed?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cannt burn the candle at both ends

I had hayledge bales which I knew I couldn't get rid of this year and my 'stores' averaged around 70 euro incl all mart costs. I filled a shed with them. I wasn't expecting to make as much, I suppose you can hit it right sometime. Its a joy to farm and know you are making a few pound! The first of mine coming now as I didn't meal them too much up till now.if they were outside id have no grass for the cattle not that there is much grass anyhow.

Were they out-wintered or did you put them into a shed?

Out on grass but access to a shed for meal. Made it really easy to handle them.

kk.man wrote: »
    The first of mine coming now as I didn't meal them too much up till now.if they were outside id have no grass

I've some knocking around on rough grazing and oats. Spent very little carrying then over the winter. Hoping the spring grass will finish them. That's if the land ever dries up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I've some knocking around on rough grazing and oats. Spent very little carrying then over the winter. Hoping the spring grass will finish them. That's if the land ever dries up.

Have hog out on stubble turnips plus getting silage as well...

They have done poor enough. The weather was ****e on them, the ground was almost a soup a lot of the time :(

The few that I’m planning on factory-ing will have to be finished out of the shed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Have lambs here that are nearly ready to go to factory but the recent weather has them looking muddy from being around the troughs and **** ! I’d be worried about the clean livestock policy crack as if they’d be turned away or is that only scare mongering talk ?

I know a lad who had lambs turned away not long ago, he had a few dozen lambs and a dozen of them were turned back.

Last year was grand not much meal but price was poor
    This year different plenty of meal place in ****e where feeding them
    Out with bags of meal in wet
    More lame sheep to
    At least price better dagged 60 of them today
    The lads with store lambs deserve a good turn out of them

10 ram lambs 46.5 kg wouldn't of had much flesh on them €121 euro. 4 ewe lambs fat enough 48 kg 133 euro today.

Anyone hearing any quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Duke92 wrote: »
    Anyone hearing any quotes

6 euro being got
    reports of 620 but wouldn't Guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

epfff wrote: »
    6 euro being got
    reports of 620 but wouldn't Guarantee

Athleague ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

Robson99 wrote: »
    Athleague ??

No they are quoting way less to meer mortals anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Robson99 wrote: »
    Athleague ??

They are quoting €5.60 - €5.70 for ewe lambs. I sent a batch to them last Thursday

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    They are quoting €5.60 - €5.70 for ewe lambs. I sent a batch to them last Thursday

Heard €6
    Anyone hear any thing else and to what weight

Advertisement